PDA

View Full Version : Valentine Atkinson........photographer and gentlman.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-19-2011, 09:11 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/et8vvkdjjn328a7#gallery:0

Most know that Valentine Atkinson is one of the top photographers in the fly fishing world.

Besides being a great photographer, Val is a very wonderful guy.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

A funny story:

For years I would run into Val on exotic trips all over the world.

I got to go on a few free industry trips.

One was a two week all paid "door to door" fly fishing trip to 4 lodges in New Zealand, on both islands. It was sponsored by the 4 lodges, the NZ tourist department, Frontier Travel and the NZ Airlines. It was about 2 dozen industry people like me who had not yet been to NZ. Val was on this trip as the professional photographer.

Another was a special free industry trip to Christmas Island some years ago. Again, about 3 dozen industry people plus me and Val again. This trip was sponsored by Sage, Frontier Travel and the Kiribati government. Lots of really wonderful people were invited on this trip. Many of us sat around near Lefty Kreh and Yvon Chouinard of Patagonia company, listening to them talk about old trips and a new one they were planning to New Guinea.

Then I was invited to the "Outdoor Writers Week" at Harkers Island on the North Carolina coast in the fall for "Little Tunny/False Albacore" run. This trip was sponsored by the Sage company. We fished all week with top skiff guide Sarah Gardener. Every night was a party and seafood feed at a different places. Some nights it was at big private residences and others would be at local marinas.

Then I would run into Val at the airport in Belize or in Miami coming or going.

It was so funny because it was all just coincidence that we ran into each other but he thought all I did was travel....