PDA

View Full Version : End of an era......more fly shops closing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I started in the fishing tackle business in 1965 in Sacramento and in those days there were only a few "fly fishing only" stores.

Most fly fishing tackle was found in places like sporting good stores, drug stores, tobacco shops, bicycle shops and hardware stores.

Then around 1970 it all started with fly shops opening up all over. The 1980s seem to be the big boom for fly shops.

Around the turn of the century there were around 500 fly shops in the USA.

Small business has been going away for the past 20 to 30 years, especially in California.

Recently they closed the Western Sport Shop in Santa Rosa and the Reno Fly Shop has closed too.

Today I heard that Kaufmanns Streamborn Fly Shops in OR/WA has closed too.

Twenty years ago they were the biggest thing going with three stores, serious catolog sales, big travel business, all kinds of FFing schools, private water and a famous guide service too.

Many top people in this industry got their start at Kaufmann's.

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=651927#Post651927

Most of these great stores were very successful for over 30 years and closed for various reasons.

A reality is that 90% of all fly shops, including mine, never made much profit but the lifestyle is fantastic.

I got ot go to run around and even fish with famous fly fishers like Lefty Kreh, Dave Witlock, Chico Fernandez, Doug Swisher, Gary Borger and others.

Lance Gray
04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
I sold a ton of Saltwater flies to Lance & Randy over the years. It was a great shop and no one could beat Mrs. Kaufman (Lance & Randy Mother) what a nice women.

It is sad to see fly shops go. I worked in a shop (Powell's) that also closed and then re-opened as Chico Fly Shop with new owners. The passing of a fly shop like Powell's, Kaufmann's, the old Bruno store Western and the Reno shop is like old friends passing. The warmth, knowledge and plain ass good times I had in these shops can never be replaced.

It is a shame, but a part of the change in fly fishing. 80% of my guide guest (clients) show up for a trip with gear that is not right for them. I ask what fly shop they got that at - They say things like I ordered on line, I bought it from a box store and so on. That needs to change. I do not know the answer to it, but I know that the industry needs to change.

Lance Gray
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Dan LeCount
04-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Thats a bummer. Some of the first tying things I got were from a Kaufmann/Streamborn catalog when I was a teenager. Randalls books were a great resource for me as well. Him and his brother seem like really nice guys. I hope they do well with whatever they plan to do next.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-20-2011, 07:51 AM
I think that a certain amount of fly shops will survive.

Some of these businesses will and have closed because the owners got older too.

Having 60 fly shops in California must have just been too many for these times.

Newcomers to the sport need help and good advice that they can usually get at a fly shop or a local fly club or even here on a fly fishing message board.

Digger
04-20-2011, 07:00 PM
It's always sad to hear of another business closing up. It was probably someone's dream, someone's sweat and blood.
The current state of the economy has not been kind to just about every industry, be it recreation, construction, finance, real estate, manufacturing, etc.

It is truly the survival of the fittest right now.
If you survived these last couple years and a couple more to come, then you are one of the very well run businesses out there.

On the other hand, it is also one of the best times to get a business established.

Hat's off to you Bill.

coolrivertx
04-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Kiene's has been around so long. Bill and Marilyn are stand up folks, truly a pleasure and honor to have worked for them, with them, and call them friends! You have great staff, past and present, and truly a quality shop. Like you said, not getting rich, but having lots of fun along the way, and makng a difference! Thanks, Brett

tacocat
04-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Now there's a big stink because they sold a bunch of Groupons before closing. Unfortunate timing for Kaufmanns