PDA

View Full Version : Shad Flies the Size of SHAD

Tony Buzolich
04-19-2011, 03:57 PM
If you've read my post below about the shad showing up in the Feather you need to start thinking about how bigger flies catch bigger fish. This holds true especially for striped bass when you know there are bigger fish around.

The early season stripers are almost all cookie-cutter size males in the 4lb.-6lb.range. Seems shad are like that too, the males come first, and the male shad are also smaller than the hens that show up later.

This morning I was on the water with my good friend Jim May. We had already taken several stripers when there was a large explosion of water a few yards behind our boat with a shad sailing in the air no less than 5' to 6' above the surface. A quick second boil and then all was quiet except for the ripples in the water. Stripers feeding! Big stripers. A little later we saw another big swirl of a large fish chasing bait in the same area.

Obviously the shad are here and with them come the larger predators, the larger striped bass, and also a sea lion that was spotted last week below the Bear River.

This is just the start of the striper season and the first of any larger stripers beginning to show. You can bet I'll be out there again tomarrow with a 10w and a floating line throwing a fly the size they use for billfish. I'm sure Charlie's Airhead or Pole Dancers in the largest size will fit the need.

The water temperature has dropped to 54 degrees because of the increased flow coming out of the Yuba which has gone up 2000cfs. since last night. This is bringing more fish into the system as they get ready for spawning. Several of the fish we took this morning were already spilling milt.
TONY

mark
04-20-2011, 04:08 PM
so what size clousers and or whistlers would you use? I have been tying some on 3/0 and 4/0 hooks lately pushing 7" long?

Tight lines to you!

Tony Buzolich
04-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Mark,

Those sizes are fine for most of the stripers taken anywhere and they'll take big stripers too. But, when you see shad exploding on the surface trying to escape a BIG predator, you kind of want to match the hatch so to speak. I've had stripers barely the size of my fly try to eat it a 4"-5" clouser. Yesterday, Jim May was landing a nice schoolie at the side of the boat and had another bigger fish come and try to eat the one on the hook. I've taken stripers in the 15lb-17lb. range that had two whole shad in its stomach with the shad's tail sticking out it's mouth. And, when we start actually fishing for the shad, it's not unusual to have a big striper come up and grab the shad on the line. This doesn't last long on a 6w. with a small hook but it's always a fun suprise.

I think if you really want to target large stripers then get the largest fly that you can cast well. This would probably mean using a 10w or 11w rod with a good shooting head line that can carry the larger fly because of the added wind resistance. Secondly, I'd target areas that I knew where holding shad and fish this big fly in and around them. Simply blind casting a big rig like this would wear you out in no time.
TONY

Mike McKenzie
04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Even if it doesn't fit they'll still eat it!! I've had 30lb+ stripers eat their 18-20 inch cousins as I was stripping them in to the boat!

This one bit off more than it could chew! The predator became prey! (for the birds..that is!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/stripermike/Hungrystriper.jpg

Mike

OceanSunfish
04-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Even if it doesn't fit they'll still eat it!! I've had 30lb+ stripers eat their 18-20 inch cousins as I was stripping them in to the boat!

This one bit off more than it could chew! The predator became prey! (for the birds..that is!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/stripermike/Hungrystriper.jpg

Mike

I've seen their (striped bass) suicidal tendencies in the surf and they can certainly be their own worst enemies at times....

mark
04-21-2011, 10:40 AM
thanks guys!

To the tying vice......... with lots of material.