PDA

View Full Version : Canon Lens Question

PaulC
04-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Hey Folks,
I recently had to burn some airline miles and ended up picking up a Canon 60D.
Great camera so far and have had a blast with it in the field, at home with our son, or in the prototype lab.
I recently picked up a 100mm L series Macro Lens and was so impressed with the quality of that lens, I may add another L series.

My question for the folks that use Canons is what high grade lens they have really been happy with in the non-macro landscape world?
I have their low end 50mm fixed lens and the 18-135 IS lens probably also on the low end.

Here's a cool shot of our son dueling it out with snowballs in Ojai over the winter.
The Macro lens takes pretty nice portraits, just have to use the feet for the zoom.
Having IS is great.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/IMG_0301.jpg
-Paul

JasonB
04-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Well for portrait type shots I LOVE the 135mm f2.0L fixed lens. For a great all around lense, especially some "action" type stuff the 70-200 f2.8IS is very hard to beat. IMO the image quality of all the L type lenses are very high, with the differences between them being only of real importance to the real "pro" types.

k.hanley
04-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Say hey Paul,
Fun pic of your son. Did he hit Mom with that snowball?

I use the following fixed lens on my EOS Camera... EF 24mm f-1.4L USM (great for landscapes), and the EF 135mm f-2L USM (excellent portrait camera).

Wanted another camera as a backup and I recently got a used Canon PowerShot G9. Haven't quite figured it out yet.
Cheers, Ken

PaulC
04-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys. I'll check out these lenses.
Definitely having fun playing around with this thing.

Ken - He needs to work on his aim a bit:) Was a fun excursion given it was just 30 miles or so from the beach.
Corbina should start rolling in soon, and there is some fantastic structure setting up.
Send me a PM if you make it down here this summer.

Thanks again,
Paul