PDA

View Full Version : Ono Season

mems
04-16-2011, 11:29 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/IMGP0295-1.jpg
Aloha, it is Ono season here in Hawaii. They like to bite during the full moon. Went out yesterday and got 7 from 30-60lbs. Doug is a fly guy from Oregon, and he tried his best to get one on the fly, but after he reeled in the 60lber on conventional tackle he had some second thoughts about the fly. Lots of fresh fish at our house. Made some coconut beerbatter tempura ono tonight, yummy. Headed back out tomorrow with another friend. Mems.

Tony Buzolich
04-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Way to go Don. I've always wanted to get one on the fly as well but just can't seem to strip fast enough. Had several follows right up to the boat but then a turn-off at the last minute. Thought about trolling with a fly to get the speed but how ethical is that? Maybe I'll try it anyway.

Saw an episode of Speargun Hunter with Sherry Dey spearing Ono all around Isla Cerralvo and they were throwing a flashy toy thing that got the Ono's attention. It would slowly drop, the Ono would come it, and they'd shoot. Maybe something like this would work for fly fishing as well.

As for Hawaii, is it the season now or the full moon that got them going?

Tony Buzolich
04-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Way to go Don. I've always wanted to get one on the fly as well but just can't seem to strip fast enough. Had several follows right up to the boat but then a turn-off at the last minute. Thought about trolling with a fly to get the speed but how ethical is that? Maybe I'll try it anyway.

Saw an episode of Speargun Hunter with Sherry Dey spearing Ono all around Isla Cerralvo and they were throwing a flashy toy thing that got the Ono's attention. It would slowly drop, the Ono would come it, and they'd shoot. Maybe something like this would work for fly fishing as well.

As for Hawaii, is it the season now or the full moon that got them going?
Aloha, TONY

Tony Buzolich
04-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Sorry about the double click.

Darian
04-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Hey Don,.... Watta bunch of good eatin' fish. :D Like Tony, I've been tryng to get one on fly but no success yet. The fast retrieve hasn't worked for me either. I've tried using a "Bleeding Bait" fly and letting it sink slowly in the hopes that a breezing Wahoo will pick it up on the way thru.... Gotta keep trying 'til I get one. :unibrow:

mems
04-17-2011, 05:25 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/IMGP0299-1.jpg
Aloha guys, went out today and got three more and one nice mahi. The bite was wild ono jumping out of the water to hit the lures, some wild action.
I have gotten a couple of ono on the fly, but only to 20lbs. Best bet is a floating log or cargo net where they are hanging out. The little ones I caught are called rockets and man do they run fast. Nothing, even big bones takes line that fast. But after two runs they are normally pretty spent. These big ones would smoke some line! They smoked some of the 130 shimanos. They are very impressive fish. I wish I had more shots at them with the fly, but it just doesn't happen that often. Tonight it is ono veracruz, and some blackened ono for pupus. Have a Great Easter, Mems.

Darian
04-17-2011, 05:54 PM
You're makin' me envious. All that good fishin' and eatin'.... :nod: Those fish have lost their markings but when fresh from the water, they're a beautifully marked fish. Can't wait for Baja in June.... :D :D

jbird
04-17-2011, 09:59 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/IMGP0299-1.jpg
Aloha guys, went out today and got three more and one nice mahi. The bite was wild ono jumping out of the water to hit the lures, some wild action.
I have gotten a couple of ono on the fly, but only to 20lbs. Best bet is a floating log or cargo net where they are hanging out. The little ones I caught are called rockets and man do they run fast. Nothing, even big bones takes line that fast. But after two runs they are normally pretty spent. These big ones would smoke some line! They smoked some of the 130 shimanos. They are very impressive fish. I wish I had more shots at them with the fly, but it just doesn't happen that often. Tonight it is ono veracruz, and some blackened ono for pupus. Have a Great Easter, Mems.

What're ya doin out fishin? That pile of gravel back there aint gonna spread itself! ;-) ....Yes! Im jealous :-)

I was pretty blown away when I was in Maui during Ono season and I ordered fish & chips at a restaurant. The fish was Ono! It was in season and it was no big deal to the locals.
Thats just what you got with your fish & chips.