PDA

View Full Version : Current Conditions At Lake Davis

Troutstalker55B
04-14-2011, 09:09 PM
I scoped out the lake today and was very surprised at the large snowpack still on the ground! The lake is 90% free of ice; water temps recorded were 43-45 degrees. Honker Cove boat ramp is plowed and open but no dock. It’s a tight squeeze and only small boats would be considered. The parking lot is reduced as well with heavy equipment and timber packed in tight with snow. The fish are starting to spawn and are ganging up in the coves that have feeder creeks. All the seasonal creeks are pumping right now including Snow Creek that feeds Honker Cove, I saw fish rolling there today (Honker is closed to fishing). The road is plowed to Mallard Cove, and access to the lake is very limited right now. The West side road will not be open in a month or longer in my opinion, after the mud goes away. I hope to get up there soon just to wet a line and do a snowshoe, let ya know…..
Jon.

firedad0
04-15-2011, 01:37 PM
On April 10th, a couple of us took snowmobiles out to Freeman Creek, the lake was still completely frozen. We came back to Camp 5 and fished with not much luck. Water was real cold, only saw one fish rise. The east side of the lake has seen some fish caught though.

Scott V
04-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I read that DFG is planting Davis this coming up week. More rubber trout.

Troutstalker55B
04-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Fished the east side, C&R 4 fish, one being a beautiful rubber trout at 4+ pounds 22”. Other anglers all caught fish. My fish were all clean but I did see some trout cruising in that 14-16” class with parasites. Most fish have one thing on their mind – sex! Effective patterns were Jay Fair wiggle tail in brown and Jay Fair simple snail in floro hot orange. Water temps were 46-49 in the shallows from 11am – 3pm.

http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/2011/04/wetting-line-for-first-time-lake-davis.html

Jon.

Troutstalker55B
04-28-2011, 07:47 AM
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/a9_1_1.jpg

The lake just keeps on filling up! Check out the Lighting Tree boat ramp above, it will be usable once the snow goes.

The fish are in post spawn mode now and hungry. The creeks at Mallard and Lighting Tree had no fish in or in front of them. Water temps ranged from 48-51 degrees. I found a decent pod of rainbows near the dam and in a hour and a half I hooked 8 landing 4, 17-20" - all clean. Used a bobber with a #10 blood midge pupa that was hanging 7 feet under. Today was the first day I have seen some decent hatches, blood midge (huge - size 10) and a pale creamy olive midge size 18. There were fish rising for these bugs. Lots of fly anglers out and the guys I talked to all caught some fish, but they were way more stoked on the water levels!

Jon.

Scott V
04-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the pic and the report Jon. It is always nice to hear that a lake is full, especially this one.

gene goss
04-28-2011, 05:17 PM
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/a9_1_1.jpg

The lake just keeps on filling up! Check out the Lighting Tree boat ramp above, it will be usable once the snow goes.

The fish are in post spawn mode now and hungry. The creeks at Mallard and Lighting Tree had no fish in or in front of them. Water temps ranged from 48-51 degrees. I found a decent pod of rainbows near the dam and in a hour and a half I hooked 8 landing 4, 17-20" - all clean. Used a bobber with a #10 blood midge pupa that was hanging 7 feet under. Today was the first day I have seen some decent hatches, blood midge (huge - size 10) and a pale creamy olive midge size 18. There were fish rising for these bugs. Lots of fly anglers out and the guys I talked to all caught some fish, but they were way more stoked on the water levels!

Jon.

Thanks for the picture of lighting tree boat ramp, havn't seen the ramp in the water for a long time. Glad those blood midges are on the way back, i missed those evenings fishing with a blood midge. Whats a good dry fly blood midge pattern Jon, and if you have time maybe you could post a picture of it for us Jon. Thanks

FRSam
04-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Well I'll be damned!!! Great shot Jon - sure put a smile on my face. Haven't seen the water that high for far too long. Hopefully Lighting will stay submerged and as we talked about this morning we'll have a new lake to re-discover, plot and fish.

Kin hardly wait,

Pete

OceanSunfish
04-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Great picture of Lightening Tree BR. The lake is at 72.3K and you say it's still rising?! It may hit max pool!

Nevertheless, this will no doubt revitalize the bug life and I hope that this healthy water level will allow the fish to heal too.

Now I hope the 'powers that be' allow the lake to stay full for the season only draining it slightly for the winter.... This is a great opportunity for the lake to heal completely.

Thanks.

Troutstalker55B
04-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the picture of lighting tree boat ramp, havn't seen the ramp in the water for a long time. Glad those blood midges are on the way back, i missed those evenings fishing with a blood midge. Whats a good dry fly blood midge pattern Jon, and if you have time maybe you could post a picture of it for us Jon. Thanks

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/a8_1_1_1.jpg

Gene,

Last fall I had some incredible days with this fly, one afternoon in late Oct. I hooked 12 nice clean fish in 2-3 feet of water right off the bank. I’m talking hands and knees and stalking individual trout. I noticed if I skated and popped the fly as the fish was coming close it locked in on the fly it took with total confidence. I used to tie this fly using the Tiemco 2487, but I kept straightening the hook on large fish. I switched to the heavier #12 2457 and added red foam to the body. It is also important to use high density closed cell foam for the post – It really helps to keep this fly floating. Jay Fair mohair in burnt orange for the shuck and thorax, and a furnace dry fly hackle oversized for the legs. Winner.

Jon.

gene goss
04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks John....I like the foam body, and the foam post...my deer hair post get water log after a couple of mins.