PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco Bass

harryls
04-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Finally got to Rancho Seco mid afternoon Monday. It was a beautiful day for paddling my yak with calm conditions and warm sun. I wasn't sure if I was going to target the newly planted trout or resident bass, but something always pulls me toward bass when conditions are right. I could spot bass in the shallow coves by slowly and silently gliding up on them, but couldn't get them to eat. Some were on beds, but most just cruising away as I would come within a few feet. They probably were more tuned into spawning than eating and they were probably not going to eat once they saw me cruise by. At least I learned where they were. But other than losing one bass in the weeds I had nothing to show for my efforts.

I spent the night in my camper, made a nice breakfast and slid out onto the water at around 10:30 with few expectations. The day before, I threw everything I could think of on top, bottom and in between with poor results. Today I went with the heavy artillery - a light weight weed-guarded jig dressed with a motor oil plastic worm. I tossed this with my old 9 wt meat rod built on a Loomis graphite III blank, circa 1990. Today I drifted along the bank with the breeze, adjusted my distance a little with the paddle, and tossed into good looking areas. One spot looked really good with a shallow light colored bottom edged by a darker weedy area. The worm landed right where I wanted but still I wasn't ready for the grab which always takes me by surprise. I knew it had some weight when I set the hook and then gave another tug for security while hoping I wouldn't dislodge a possibly light hookup. I horsed her into deeper water, let her struggle enough to mellow out then gave the lip lock and hoisted her up and took a shot. Then I put her back into the water and tried to get some under water shots. NO cooperation at all. It was just over 20" and my guess is about 7lbs. Ha - J K - probably around 4, but not sure. What's your guess? Caught another the same way, but a dink about the size of my "fly".
Yahoo, Spring is finally here!
Harry Schoonbaert

Jay
04-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Wow, as soon as I saw "7lbs" I was so incredulous I didnt even see the "JK" part until I had already typed half of a "yeah right!" reply. Looks like fun!

David Lee
04-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Very nice !!

On a fly rod .... ANY Bass you take out of there is great , they're pretty fickle !!

D.~

(I should add .... I watched Sturmer White totally clean house out there one day years ago , I'd bet he landed 25-35 easily . It was disturbing , especially since I got a few Sunnies and maybe 4 Bass ? )

Jay
04-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I bet it would be a blast at night with a popper or pole dancer.