PDA

View Full Version : Shad & American River

Sam4Homes
04-04-2011, 11:17 PM
With the American River Flows Dropping has anyone be crazy enough to try shad fishing? I heard some guys were trying but have not heard anything about catching shad.

Jeff C.
04-05-2011, 07:28 AM
They normally start showing up at Verona and then at Discovery Park first. With this high water who knows what they're going to do, maybe just hang a right at the confluence and shoot straight up river. I'm going to wait 2-3 weeks before I start looking for them.

bart
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
shad have been showing in the sac.port

Jeff C.
04-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Hey Bart! Is it true that shad are at the Port? If so, the gear guys have been awful quiet about Miller Park and Discovery Park. With the high cold water, it's going to be tough on the American.

Scott V
04-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Shouldn't you be skiing Jeff? No shad for you, I heard some of the resorts are staying open til Memorial Day.

Jeff C.
04-12-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm still snowboarding every weekend and probably will until the end of May. Usually this time of year I fish in the evenings after work for spring run halfpounders but the high flows have put the kabosh on that. I hope the flows drop down to 7K but the end of the month so I can start to target shad.

OceanSunfish
04-12-2011, 01:41 PM
It's wishful thinking, but we need to hope that the shad counts are at least as healthy as they were in the late 90's and early 2000's when shad continued to pour into Freeport in mid June..... At least by then, the American should be flowing a bit lower and maybe warmer ?!...... so much snow up in them thar hills tho......