PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Report 4/1,2,3

Chris Evison
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
4/1 started at north end of lake and worked south. Calm and warm conditions. Warmest day of the year so far. From 9:30 to 3:30 got one fish under the indicator. Nothing going stripping. At 3:30 we were at the Pelican Rocks. Finally a slight ripple and some high cloud cover. Things were good for the next 1 1/2 hours, all under the bobber with midges. 2 of us got a total of 11 to hand and plenty of misses. Had to leave at 5pm and others still hooking fish.

4/2 the North and South nets reopened for the season after a tribal council meeting on 4/1. Rob and I had a group of 13 from Idaho. Got to South nets at 6am and set-up ladders. First fish on in 10 minutes. At 10:30 it was getting crazy. Often had 6 or more hooked up at the same time and went like this the rest of the day. It was wide open. Didn't matter if you stripped or bobbed.

Best fly stripping was the popcorn beetle (popcorn beetle is the chartruse underbody and white foam beetle). Had some double hook-ups when you trailed the popcorn beetle with an olive woolly. Highest count strippng was 30 fish. Most stripping got 17-20 fish and biggest was 14lbs on the popcorn beetle.

Bobber fishing produced better #'s and a better variety of flies that would work. The JW, sno cones, pink & red, and zebras. Mahalo nymphs also worked well. Highest count was 31 fish with most getting 20-25. Biggest was 12lbs on a Mahalo nymph.

There was group from Bishop to our left that got a 10 and a 11lb fish. Our groups and their groups big fish all came with in 10 ladders if each other over an hour. Personally, I have never seen this many big fish in such a short time in a narrow space of beach. It was one of those should have been here yesterday days at Pyramid Lake, incredible!!

Weather on 4/2 was breezy until 10am with overcast. When we left Rob's house in Reno for lake the temp was 55 degrees at 5:15am. I think it was high 40's at lake, but not positive on that.After 10 the wind started to build and got shifty. It started from north and built up a 2ft swell with 2-3ft waves coming in by 1pm. Then shifted to west and the bite never quit. Don't get caught up in the west wind equals bad fishing mantra. I have seen plenty of good days with the wind howling out of the west. They had over 250 fish for the group and 2 or 3 people that didn't fish after lunch due to the taller waves.

On 4/3 we left Rob's at 4:45am and it was 32 degrees. The wind had howled all night at lake. Tough conditions with a hard, cold wind from N to NE and 30 degress on the water. Waves were high early and the muck line was well off shore. Only wound up with 8 in the water. 3 or fish under the bobber and maybe 20 strippping for total #'s. Thankfully, we had saturday to relive.

Overall a great time. If you are coming to fish Pyramid we think one should be there for a minimum of 3 days a preferably 4 or 5 days. Normally one would expect to get at least one wide open day of fishing and hopefully more!

Troutstalker55B
04-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Great report! Thanks for that Chris. I will leave you with this - The wind is your friend...
Jon.

Scott V
04-04-2011, 04:19 PM
The wind is your friend...
Jon.

Unless it brings along it's friend of sand and blasts the skin right off you.:D

Troutstalker55B
04-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Unless it brings along it's friend of sand and blasts the skin right off you.:D

Scott, that's no good! Ouch! I just hate too see anglers who have come a long way from home just pack it in when the wind blows - You can work the nooks, crannies, or find a soft window to present your fly to willing prey.

Jon.

MikeSBL
04-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately, our group had to leave early on the 4-2 and could not fish the Saturday. We were there the prior 2 days and due the the high pressure and lack of wind the fishing was much tougher. We had 4 guys and ended up with 25 fish, most of those in the late afternoon on 4-1. We have been there before on break out days like Saturday with overcast and windier conditions and that is Pyramid at its best. I have herd through friends about others who had 20 fish days on Saturday also. As for our trip, the ones we caught where about 1/2 stripping white, chartreuse or orange beetles along with a black wooly bugger and the other 1/2 with midges under an indicator. In fact, we have never done that well with the indicator and midges in those conditions before. Our hat is off to those who hit the right days and had that kind of action. We Jokingly call our small group the Troutmen Fly Club and now put video and pictures together of us having fun and catching fish. It is up on the blog at sacramentoboatinglounge.com (http://sacramentoboatinglounge.com/) for those interested. I totally agree with spending more days to get a shot at a breakout day.
Good luck to all.

Mike@sacramentoboatinglounge.com

Jay
04-05-2011, 10:39 PM
We were there on the 3rd and did ok. 19 between the two of us, but my buddy got 12 of them. Big fish of the day was 27" but unweighed. Probably 5.5. I do not like it when its glassy calm, that is for sure! All fish were stripping, but I did midge for an hour or two.

ARichcrook
04-06-2011, 10:39 AM
4/1 started at north end of lake and worked south. Calm and warm conditions. Warmest day of the year so far. From 9:30 to 3:30 got one fish under the indicator. Nothing going stripping. At 3:30 we were at the Pelican Rocks. Finally a slight ripple and some high cloud cover. Things were good for the next 1 1/2 hours, all under the bobber with midges. 2 of us got a total of 11 to hand and plenty of misses. Had to leave at 5pm and others still hooking fish.

4/2 the North and South nets reopened for the season after a tribal council meeting on 4/1. Rob and I had a group of 13 from Idaho. Got to South nets at 6am and set-up ladders. First fish on in 10 minutes. At 10:30 it was getting crazy. Often had 6 or more hooked up at the same time and went like this the rest of the day. It was wide open. Didn't matter if you stripped or bobbed.

Best fly stripping was the popcorn beetle (popcorn beetle is the chartruse underbody and white foam beetle). Had some double hook-ups when you trailed the popcorn beetle with an olive woolly. Highest count strippng was 30 fish. Most stripping got 17-20 fish and biggest was 14lbs on the popcorn beetle.

Bobber fishing produced better #'s and a better variety of flies that would work. The JW, sno cones, pink & red, and zebras. Mahalo nymphs also worked well. Highest count was 31 fish with most getting 20-25. Biggest was 12lbs on a Mahalo nymph.

There was group from Bishop to our left that got a 10 and a 11lb fish. Our groups and their groups big fish all came with in 10 ladders if each other over an hour. Personally, I have never seen this many big fish in such a short time in a narrow space of beach. It was one of those should have been here yesterday days at Pyramid Lake, incredible!!

Weather on 4/2 was breezy until 10am with overcast. When we left Rob's house in Reno for lake the temp was 55 degrees at 5:15am. I think it was high 40's at lake, but not positive on that.After 10 the wind started to build and got shifty. It started from north and built up a 2ft swell with 2-3ft waves coming in by 1pm. Then shifted to west and the bite never quit. Don't get caught up in the west wind equals bad fishing mantra. I have seen plenty of good days with the wind howling out of the west. They had over 250 fish for the group and 2 or 3 people that didn't fish after lunch due to the taller waves.

On 4/3 we left Rob's at 4:45am and it was 32 degrees. The wind had howled all night at lake. Tough conditions with a hard, cold wind from N to NE and 30 degress on the water. Waves were high early and the muck line was well off shore. Only wound up with 8 in the water. 3 or fish under the bobber and maybe 20 strippping for total #'s. Thankfully, we had saturday to relive.

Overall a great time. If you are coming to fish Pyramid we think one should be there for a minimum of 3 days a preferably 4 or 5 days. Normally one would expect to get at least one wide open day of fishing and hopefully more!

I hope it holds for another Month. #-o Thanks Chris.