PDA

View Full Version : North Coast, surf fishing

EricW
04-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Heading up the coast in mid-may as a graduation camp trip for my fiance'. The rivers are all shut (or seem to be), so I thought maybe try some surf fishing. Will be at MacKerricher, Gold Beach, then up to Jedediah parks.

Right now from the little info I could find, I'll be targeting small perch, bringing the 8wt with heads for quick distance, stripping basket, floating running line, a handful of small baitfish flies, and look for rocks or features around high tide. Nothing to it right?

Don't have massive expectations but it would be a blast if I don't get skunked the whole way! Don't have any experience so any tips would be helpful.

Jimmie
04-03-2011, 07:39 PM
The beaches of Mackerrichr have been productive for surf perch in the past. I have had some success right in the area on the other side of the dunes from the lake (course the shoreline/surf structure changes every day so that doesn't mean anything). Give it a go. Sure can't catch anything if the fly isn't in the water :)

Good Luck!

Larry S
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Eric:
Just be safe. Your beaches up there aren't as user-friendly as our San Diego waters.
Best,
Larry S

Scott V
04-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Make sure you are not fishing in any protected area due to the DFG's new MLPA closures. Here is a link to see the areas that are closed to fishing, the tough part about trying to figure what is closed is that most of the locations are only noted by GPS coordinates.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/