PDA

View Full Version : Any recent Pyramid Lake reports..

Woodman
03-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Now seems like the time to get out there...passable HWY 80, good weather (comparatively)...

I'm looking at either weekend of April 9th or 16th.

Let me know if you have any intel.

EricW
04-03-2011, 01:10 PM
While this time of year bigger groups and clubs typically stake out prime sections of the central beaches near Sutcliffe, there's still plenty of space if you get to these beaches early. You have to be willing to fish within speaking conversation distance of others if you want to go to one of the more popular areas. If you aren't, you can easily find some space (pretty much anywhere that you have to park more than 50' from the shore). You're looking for any area where you can fish the shelf drop. North Nets is currently closed for spawning.

Was out yesterday 6am-5pm at Separator (just north of Sutcliffe). Last couple days were hot clear and calm (about the worst for pyramid except maybe frigid clear and calm!), but yesterday was broken sky with shifting winds luckily. Early morning was calm and fishing was fairly typical with the fish somewhat holed up. A group at the left side had it pretty well dialed in and there were multiple hook ups, the majority on suspended nymphs. I was out over to the right, and it was a slower start (less structure, less defined shelf) with a few fish on a variety of methods. Mid-morning was slow to fair with a light breeze and fish spreading out. Around noon a decent wind started up, south/southwest and then much cooler from the north. This absolutely stirred things up, the water clouded a bit with nice rollers that makes stripping flies light up. Did well with a black/purple locofoam tadpole pulled slow to moderate matching the wind. Occasionally the west wind showed up and reinforced my belief that the straight offshore wind is pretty much an action killer.

Overall, I'd say it was fair to very good depending on your pyramid knowledge and location. Water is still cool. Most fish were hooked at the drop or 15'-20' beyond it. Didn't see any fish on the shelf but it was tough light. Very weather dependent.

I'd check the forecast and look for inclement weather. The fish are there, it's just getting the bite turned on. You may see spawning chains develop very close to shore; don't fish to them, they're not interested in eating. Sometimes it's better to avoid the whole central beach region and go where there are less but more willing fish. The 'flats'/shallows fishing may develop soon, but I think is still a couple weeks off.

edit: 8 to hand, 1 break-off, lost my first 3 fish after solid hookups. All fish on the bk/purp tadpole on point. Only nymphed about 1/2 hour. All lost fish were on tadpole tied on a TMC2499sp. It's not a good replacement for a 2457 and seems to cut itself free. After the 3rd fish I changed from sz8 2499 to a sz10 2457 and didn't drop another fish besides the breakoff. No monsters, 17-22" with 2 slightly larger.

Troutstalker55B
04-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Gotta love the TMC 2457, What a great hook! Jay Clark just did a post on his blog about Pyramid, you can check here at; http://www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the report EricW.

Jon.

1flyfisher
04-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I got out and fished the lake from the big boat.
We ran around the lake to the northeast end but found most fish staging deep along the west shore which is to be expected this time of year.
Fish have moved from Anderson bay and the east side to the west side.
They will now run up and down the west side of the lake.
Up and down the west shore.
We had consistent fishing with the last several days with over 60+ fish for 2 flyfisherman.
We have not caught anything over 8 lbs.
Most of the fish are still staging in water 25-40 deep.
Most of the fish we have been taking have been deepish/ 25+.
We have been throwing heavy lines in 25+ feet of water with minnow patterns and catching fish there.
I would say if you are going to fish from shore/ladder get out there. You need to get your line in the water to catch a 10+ lber.
The fish will be moving in closer and closer to shore as spring/spawn kicks in.
You may not get big numbers just yet from shore but any day it can go off.
Best bet right now for numbers/size is in the 20-30 foot shelf if you have a boat or tube or pontoon kayak what have you.

In the next few weeks 3/4 the stripping bug with the 4wt will kick in...but just not yet.
Good Luck...get out and fish it.

EricW
04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Jon,
Thx for the link. Didn't realize they'd opened the Nets. Rangers still had the big orange flags up at the south end of South Nets, but there were some people fishing to the left of it. I didn't put it together, and the recorder at the creel station didn't mention anything (not that I asked).

Regarding the 2499, at first it look like a possible improvement, sort of a heavy wire version of the 2488 that's not in their lineup and what I was really looking for. Straight eye seems conducive to a pulled beetle/tadpole opening the gap a bit in the same space. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is with 2499sp, but I've been suspect of it for some time. Slightly upturned point with lower lip location, cutting itself free, but I've now got some flies to get rid of.

Cabelas 25 is identical to the TMC 2457 (I think they come out of the same machine).

JJ
04-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Eric,

I think that we may have been fishing on the same beach at the same time last weekend. You are probably in the first picture looking down the beach. We fished Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and Saturday was definitely the best with everyone hooking up. We had several double and triple hook ups, as well as, one quintuple hook up. We caught half of our fish stripping and half under the indicator. Looking forward to heading back soon.

EricW
04-11-2011, 08:09 AM
JJ,
Yep, just a couple in from the furthest. I think I have the same sunrise pic too :-) You fellas were having a great time! :thumbsup: BTW was that kayak/boat down your way pedal powered? I couldn't see what was getting him around.

Did a short stretch on last Sat at S. Nets and was a bit slower. Cooler with a light breeze as the high pressure system settled in. Water was a churned up from morning waves. About 1 fish an hour with an indicator, stripping wasn't working as well but a couple grabs on big black and fuzzy. No big ones.

The creel station passed out a newsletter talking about the new director, reg changes, and had some big fish reports. I didn't realize a #17er was caught in Feb :eek:

jayclarkflyfishing
04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Eric-
I have been using 2499's for a long time for my beetles and have no problems with them in larger sizes(6-8).The smaller sizes straighten out on the big fish.The Model 25 is a 2457 in a different package.

Here is a recent report.Fishing is good.The crowds are growing but Pyramid is a big lake and solitude can be found easily.

Jay