PDA

View Full Version : wtb fly line backing

arrow1347
03-28-2011, 10:15 AM
gel spun or dacron 20-30lb , 200-600 yds

LNelson
03-28-2011, 01:10 PM
i have a brand new spool somewhere. i'll look.

estuaryboy
03-29-2011, 05:43 PM
gel spun or dacron 20-30lb , 200-600 yds

I have two spools of Spectra, each spool is 150yds, 30# and moss green, PM if interested, Shipping from Easton, PA..............Ed

Jet
03-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I've found some good deals on e-bay... Woodstock brand...pretty reasonable compared to cortland....Backing costs now what lines used to

Jet

OceanSunfish
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Consider the new Suffix 832...... Great stuff at that price point and nobody can compete with it, etc. If you grow to understand the composition of gel-spun, you'll realize just how good Suffix 832 is at that price point.

As an aside, you're very fortunate to need 200 to 600 yards of backing! The fish I usually catch rarely ever get on the reel! :rolleyes:

arrow1347
03-30-2011, 07:35 AM
salmon and steelhead make long runs. and some of the big brown trout in the delaware river also make long runs.

estuaryboy
03-30-2011, 05:00 PM
salmon and steelhead make long runs. and some of the big brown trout in the delaware river also make long runs.

Junior member here, Senior member of the hard core Big-D FFC, over twenty five years on this large famous N.E. Blue Ribbon, and nearly 100 days on the water in some of those. I can vouch for arrow1347, signs should be posted at all entrances to the pools, " Attn Flyfisherman: mucho backing highly suggested" :nod:

Many times I have seen good flyfishermen spooled by a Big-D Trout, known to the hardcores as Guided Missles or F-14s, when one decides to leave the pool there is no amount of backing that will help, heavy tippets won't turn them either! You will most likely see the bugger jumping about a football field away downstream and if you don't break off they will take everything on your spool, if your lucky, they find a huge rock and go around it a couple of times before that happens.

Next time in northeastern PA, bring your 9' - 5 or 6wt, they are only 18-20" trout and treat yourself to a chance at our much envied Bows...................................

jimfishon
03-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Why don't you try Kiene's ...........

OceanSunfish
03-30-2011, 09:19 PM

Good for you. If you happen to try the 832 Suffix I would like to hear your thoughts as far as a backing material..... backing material that actually sees the light of day :D

As a fishing line that I use for fishing Punkers, spooks, and such, it's very good, especially at its price point.

arrow1347
03-31-2011, 05:18 AM
where can i get suffix 832?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Most of the top of the line braided Dacron backing is pretty comparable.

Cortland, Scientific Angler, Gudebrod and Rio are all good and about the same diameter per pound test.

Cheaper Dacron will be much larger for it's pound test = less capacity.

Dacron degrades over time similarly to nylon monofilament.

Kevlar based braided backing and Fluorocarbon monofilament both don't degraded much over time.

Very few fly fishers need Kevlar based braided backing. Only those who need 500 or more yards of 50# backing for "large" Marlin and "large" Tuna need it. Large meaning well over 100 pounds.

The other user for Kevlar based braided backing is the person who purchased a reel that was too small for their application. If you need a lot of backing you need a big reel that is very large in diameter so you retrieve ratio while cranking in lots of line is faster.

Kevlar based backing is dangerous (cuts deeply), doesn't lay down very nicely and is more difficult to knot up.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

We have SA braided Dacron for instance:

250 yds 20# = $19.99 usd (~ $8.00/100 yds)

1,000 yds 20# = $48.95 (~ $5.00/100 yds)

5,000 yds 20# = $145.98 (~3.00/100 yds) we go through a couple of these a week.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

1-800-400-0359 toll free USA

briansII
03-31-2011, 09:35 AM
where can i get suffix 832?

Most of the tackle shops carrying the Sufix brand should have 832 now. It's new, so it might not be in every store. Big boxes like Cabelas or Bass Pro should have it.

It is a little more expensive than regular gel spun/spectra, but not as expensive and some.

briansII

arrow1347
03-31-2011, 10:54 AM
thanks to everyone for there help.

Mike O
03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Spider line braided works for me

OceanSunfish
03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Big Box stores got the first shipments...... along with stores like Hi's Tackle in SF.

832 was first introduced at last year's iCast show in LV and it was well received.

It's an 8 braided fiber with 32 weaves per inch.... when it comes to braid, you need to compare "apples to apples". Not all braids are the same.....

You can go to Hi's Tackle or perhaps TackleTour has a demo video of the stuff too.

ssy
03-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Consider the new Suffix 832...... Great stuff at that price point and nobody can compete with it, etc. If you grow to understand the composition of gel-spun, you'll realize just how good Suffix 832 is at that price point.

As an aside, you're very fortunate to need 200 to 600 yards of backing! The fish I usually catch rarely ever get on the reel! :rolleyes:

so are you saying any braided line will work as backing? i know the 832 tends to repel water better because of the gortex in it.

OceanSunfish
03-31-2011, 08:51 PM
so are you saying any braided line will work as backing? i know the 832 tends to repel water better because of the gortex in it.

You're clearly asking the wrong person about the effectualness of backing..... the backing on my reels never get wet and only see the light of day when I change fly lines.

I can attest to the effectualness under normal casting and fishing applications using conventional casting gear. For example, 832 is being implemented heavily for surf casting on many of the new high end spinning reels. Small diameter but with strength equals long long casts beyond the sand bar.

Good observation regarding the goretex.

BTW, I have Tuff Line Braid on one of my fly reels as backing. It's a low cost braid and good all purpose space filler for me which is all that I need.... :) I put it on a few years ago before 832 was available.

I'd go with 832 today just for the Goretex properties alone and the tighter weave. The stuff doesn't seem to dig into itself either.

Another reason why I shose to use Gel Spun as backing is that I can always use the stuff as fishing line on another reel.... then put it back on the fly reel when it gets old.....