PDA

View Full Version : New craw patterns from the bench.

dog
03-24-2011, 07:06 PM
I was at it again and I came up with a craw pattern that stands up about at a 45deg when at rest. I tied a large dumbell weight in the front and used 1.5 mil foam for the shell of the craw. I burned 30 lb mono eyes and used zonker strips for the claws. Let me know what you think.

Darian
03-24-2011, 09:13 PM
They look great. It almost looks like that much foam would offset the weight, tho. :confused: I can picture it sitting on the bottom with the claws extended. Mr. Bass givin' it the ol' eyeball.... :D

Tony Buzolich
03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Hey Dog,

Those look real good but I'd like to see them about 4"-6" long. I'm sure stripers on the Feather or the American would enjoy a decent meal.

Seriously, they DO look good. Smallmouth and some bigger trout would probably agree.
TONY

Hairstacker
03-24-2011, 09:28 PM
I think it looks great too! :cool:

Darian
03-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Hmmm,.... Not sure but they look to be tied on a long shank hook. Maybe around 3" to 4" in length :?: Maybe dog can let us know.... :grin:

Bob Scheidt
03-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Really good!! What did you use for the eyes? How about the body? Did you dub it?
Fantastic craw.
Bob

dog
03-26-2011, 06:57 PM
I tied the craw pattern using a Mustad 3366 size 1 hook and the eyes were 30 lb mono. I did dub the body with a dark brown flash. When I tested it in the pool the fly will ride hook up and when you stop it the front rises up like it wants to bite back :) I can't wait for some good weather to see if mr.bass likes it as well.

Bob Scheidt
03-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks dog, you got a winner there.
Bob

ptychocheilus
03-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Very nice!

I've attached a couple of very poor photos of signal crayfish, Pacifastacus leniusculus. This is now the dominant species of crayfish across much of California. The white patch on the top and the orange "flash" on the bottom of the claws are very obvious underwater (particularly the orange when they go into defensive mode), and might be worth incorporating into the pattern.

I'll be trying this one out myself!