PDA

View Full Version : I am still excited about Spring in Nor Cal....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Doesn't seem like we will have a spring this year but it will happen in some places.

With these high flows we might miss out on the spring steelhead action.

Pyramid Lake out of Reno, Nevada has been a popular destination lately.

Spring spawning runs of Stripers (April/May) and American Shad (May/June) will probably have high water. Maybe boat fishing will be more popular this year.

Top water LMB in the Delta might be a little later this spring? May/June?

Trout streams will be higher longer.

Trout lakes be the best bet?

Jgoding
03-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Drove down to L.A. Saturday morning. It was a nice day all day.... storm rolled back in at night and just dumped. I would say it was raining the whole drive back and not just sprinking. The top of the grapevine had snow on the ground when we passed through there around noon yesterday. Cars that were parked there overnight had about 6" of snow on top of them and it was pouring rain when we went through and maybe snowing at the tops of some of those hills. Saw about 5 accidents, multiple cars not sitting on their tires.

I also got a good laugh at some farmer with the sprinklers on about 80 acres in the pouring rain... maybe he was pumping water from somewhere he didn't want it, but I thought it was pretty amusing and the fail-blog website immediately popped into my head.

Randy B
03-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Been thinking a lot about where to fish for this year's trout opener. We have made an annual pilgrimage to fish Hat and have a pancake breakfast at the Cassel Vol. Fire Dept. for many, many years. It was more about marking the start of the mountain trout fishing and camping season with the guys, not numbers or size of fish.

However we have finally decided to break with a long standing tradition and fish elsewhere because Hat is just too silted up and crowded anymore. And with all this rain and runoff, our options will be somewhat limited. So I've really gotta think about where to fish this year's opener and the beginnning of a new annual trip...all in all, I'm anxiously awaiting the last Saturday in April like a kid at Christmas expecting his first bicycle.

KD
03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Bill, a couple of weeks ago a client landed a 3lb striper that was full bellied and spewing milt all over the place. So the striper spawn is not far off. Water temps were around 55-56 and this little guy was ready to go already.