PDA

View Full Version : Question for switch rod users

tacocat
03-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Do you switch rod owners find a need for a singlehanded heavy rod, say a 9.5' 7wt? The more I think about it, a fast 11' switch can handle just about anything from surf to spey to indicator fishing.

I think a 7wt 9.5 might have be great for boats or lakes, but my 5wt isn't exactly useless in those applications. I'm thinking a switch rod may work well in those applications as well.

Thanks

Grampa Spey
03-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Bob Meiser, years ago built me a custom 5/6 wt 10.5" switch rod. Steve Godshall made a custom Scandi line for it. It does a good job with most fish in this area and medium surf.

I have a Sage Z-Axis 7110 for combat wind/surf conditions on the coast and for steelheading in tight casting situations or from a boat. It is a great rod and can handle single handed steelhead floating lines to about any other line. It is a favorite rod of serious fly fishers from South America to Alaska.

Excellent search link on using the Sage 7110 Switch rod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Sage+Z+Axis+7110+Switch+rod&ei=utf-8&fr=b1ie7

I have a 9/10 Switch 11' rod by Meiser, and until we are able to fish for salmon it is too much rod here. If I lived on the SE coast Fla to La, it would be my rod of choice for reds and other hard fighting fish from a boat or kayak.

tacocat
03-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks Grampa! The more I really look into it, it appears a 5wt and a 7wt should cover all my bases. I've thrown the Z-axis overhead, and it's a sweetheart. I'd like to try the TCXs. I think they'll offer more versatility than a long singlehander.

Woodman
03-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Do you switch rod owners find a need for a singlehanded heavy rod, say a 9.5' 7wt? The more I think about it, a fast 11' switch can handle just about anything from surf to spey to indicator fishing.
Thanks

I'm not sure I understand the question...are you looking for an excuse to own fewer rods?

Glad my wife doesn't read this board. :)

Mike R
03-18-2011, 12:31 PM
I love my 11' 6wt but still fish a 9.5' 6wt all the time, especially running bobbers from a boat.

Craig Nielsen
03-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Tacocat:

I have converted all of my heavier line applications to two handed rods except nymphing and throwing shooting heads out of a boat. I own two Gary Anderson Rods, matching six weight and a seven weights that have interchangeable butt sections that convert them from a single handed 10' rod to an 11' switch. These rods have been a big hit with guided guests and are a great value if you want to keep your options open. Last time I was in the shop, Kiene's had a few in stock.

I fishing shooting heads for stripers and shad both single handed and swing two handed with Skagits and Scandinavian heads with these rods. I also load both rods with floating lines for dry fly fishing and nymphing for trout and steelhead, again both single and two handed.

I have a few other switch rods, including Meiser's, Scotts, Sage Z-Axis, and Sage's new TCX five weight. I have convinced my wife I need just one more rod ;>). Sage's TCX seven weight for BC, coastal steelhead, and dry flies on the Umpqua, and the rod is on the way. I hope this helps, feel free to drop a line if you'd care to discuss switches in greater detail.

Larry S
03-18-2011, 05:04 PM
GrampaSpey and I are usually "poles" apart on our politics, but he is very often
"spot on" when he talks about switch/spey rod fishing. I do think that you don't
have to enter this area with Meisers and Sage's.) They are the Bentleys. I fish
Beulah rods. TFO's and Echo's should also be considered.
Get thee to Kiene's and have them string up some rods. These are really
versatile tools.
Best to you,
Larry S

tacocat
03-19-2011, 08:09 PM
@Woodman: Most likely I'll be ending up with more rods when I'm done. I'm a big Scott fan, and their Nymph Special rod intrigues me much. I'm just wondering if it's a must have. I'm thinking a 5wt switch would be more useful for lakes, surfperch, and river fishing. Now that I mention Scott, the Fiberhammer looks like a kick in the pants. I'm primarily looking for a rod that can cast a large double nymph rig. I can do it with my 5wt, but it feels like baitcasting.

@Craig: Those ACR's look like a good option too. However, I LOVE how the Z-Axis switch and Spey rods cast. How are the TCX rods? I haven't tried one yet. Thanks for the advice. I think we are on the same page. Except these switch rods will be used quite a bit for surf fishing, and the Z-Axis (probably the TCX) are rocket launchers. I may drop you a line later.

@Larry: I need to try the Beulah classic and Platinum Series. It was too busy at Pleasanton to do so.

Thanks guys. The advice has been helpful.

Grampa Spey
03-20-2011, 09:00 AM
GrampaSpey and I are usually "poles" apart on our politics, but he is very often
"spot on" when he talks about switch/spey rod fishing. I do think that you don't
versatile tools.
Best to you,
Larry S

The Meiser, Sage and Anderson two handed rods would probably fall into the Lexus category instead of a Bentley. Gary Anderson and Bob Meiser build great rods and do an incredible job finishing a Sage blank or any blank besides their rods.

Beulah rods and I believe many of the TFO rods were made under Bob Meiser's guidance, and they are excellent rods. The Echo rods are also excellent rods. One of my younger relatives, who fly fishes about 50 -60 times a year and could afford any rod he wants, went to TFO one handed rod's as backup rods on his Striper boat. Now, the TFOs are his main rods. For Shad/Steelhead fishing he still uses his vintage Sage 9140-3 which is over 10 years old. For a while a friend was a Beulah rep, and he and I would met at the local river to cast our rods. The Beulahs were matched with lines and many worked for me very well.

The key to any two handed rod is matching the line with the rod. If your line isn't matched with your rod and your casting style, you might be a very unhappy fisher.

Meiser and Anderson, to many of us were the breakthrough guys, re matching the line to the two handed rods and the fisher. Steve Godshall has lined up with these two gentlemen and may be the two handed line expert in our part of the world. Steve has his own lines for these rods and can slice and dice lines to match any rod.

Jeff Putnam is an expert re what two handed rod to use on our waters and can help you match the rod with the line. Jeff is an excellent instructor.

Bill Lowe is blessed with the ability match/choose a line to match a two handed rod with your casting abilities and limitations. Bill is a great guy to hire for help.

Talk to Jeff and Bill re what you want to do with a switch rod, and they can "guide" you to a good choice.

Go to the Speyorama in San Francisco on the Friday before the competition and bring your rod and get line/casting help or find the rod you want. Bill Lowe is usually there. My mentor and friend Bob Pauli will be there. Have Bob watch you cast any line with any rod and as an excellent two handed rod instructor and as an engineer, he can tell you after a few casts if the line and rod work together.

We are blessed with Kiene's and the great people that Bill has working with him.

versatile tools.
Best to you,
Larry S

Larry S
03-20-2011, 04:46 PM
GrampaSpey:
With your big Meiser, you ought to consider New England for the late summer-fall
stripers. I have several books you can borrow if you ever consider such a trek. The
scenery is spectacular; the fishing can be, too.
Best to you,
Larry S

Craig Nielsen
03-21-2011, 12:48 AM
@Craig: Those ACR's look like a good option too. However, I LOVE how the Z-Axis switch and Spey rods cast. How are the TCX rods? I haven't tried one yet. Thanks for the advice. I think we are on the same page. Except these switch rods will be used quite a bit for surf fishing, and the Z-Axis (probably the TCX) are rocket launchers. I may drop you a line later.

I very much enjoy casting my Z-Axis rods as well and was pleasantly surprised by the casting of the TCX's. My 12 1/2 ft. 7wt. TCX is a thunderstick (I bought it to toss small rodents and large birds to the far side of the river) but the TCX switch rods I've cast and fished are very smooth and less demanding. They are also a bit longer than the Z-Axis which I liked for two handed casting but a bit less for one handed casting. I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts, particularly after you get a chance to cast them side my side. Kiene's has the rods, and perhaps more importantly good folks with the expertise to help you find just the right magic wand. Again, feel free to ring if you'd care to chat in detail.

Gene S
03-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks Grampa! The more I really look into it, it appears a 5wt and a 7wt should cover all my bases. I've thrown the Z-axis overhead, and it's a sweetheart. I'd like to try the TCXs. I think they'll offer more versatility than a long singlehander.

Do yourself a favor and try out the TCX switchers. I have a couple of them which were used this winter chasing steel and can say without hesitation....these are lightweight, do most everything rods. Sage got it right on these little dart throwers. My .02

tacocat
03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks Guys.

Gramps and Larry, I'll have to give them a snap. However, I do lean toward American made tomato stakes. I know the the technology and design are outstanding, and the US staff support is fantastic. However, I've been flinging American made flyrods for nearly twenty years.

I have seen foreign technology slowly exceed the quality of the American made stuff in the bicycle industry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything made in Taiwan or Japan. Further, my industry benefits HEAVILY from export consumption in Asia, so much so, it is a primary focus. In reality, I'd just be completing the cycle that keeps me employed, but old habits die hard.

I do agree that JP is a very cool guy with an AWESOME set of bootfoot waders. I'll be check into the Meisers and will definitely be fiddling with the lines once I get dialed in.

I took Jamie Lyle's Spey casting clinic that the Reno Flyshop (great place that will be sorely missed) last summer, and had a ball. Jamie brought out 30 or so lightning rods for us to try. Although it was a 3 or 4 hour class, I threw Skagits for 6 hours. I couldn't get enough.

I may have thrown the 14' TCX, but I'm not sure. It was a Sage something, something. Jamie kept calling it a weapon. Since I didn't need a Skagit ballista, and I rarely need to hang a piece of yarn on the far side of the Truckee, I switched to the 11' Sage something, something. Although not as fun as the 14 footer, it was great once I got the timing down. I've had a proclivity to liking Sage rods for a very long time during my test drives, but I have recently taken a liking to Scotts because they are flat out fun to fish, but they are hard to find and try. Same thing on Beulah. You non Sacto guys have no idea how many fly shops don't carry two handed fly rods.

Thanks for the help, I think you answered my question that the 9'8" single hand rod can wait. A 5/6 should handle that application until I start drift boating. I just need to try as many as I can before deciding. I do appreciate the suggestions and the advice.

Hector

Grampa Spey
03-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Good luck with your choice of switch rods. There are a lot of good ones out there. Find one you like and get the line/lines that maximize the rod.

Then enjoy it for years.

Thanks Guys.

Gramps and Larry, I'll have to give them a snap. However, I do lean toward American made tomato stakes. I know the the technology and design are outstanding, and the US staff support is fantastic. However, I've been flinging American made flyrods for nearly twenty years.

I have seen foreign technology slowly exceed the quality of the American made stuff in the bicycle industry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything made in Taiwan or Japan. Further, my industry benefits HEAVILY from export consumption in Asia, so much so, it is a primary focus. In reality, I'd just be completing the cycle that keeps me employed, but old habits die hard.

I do agree that JP is a very cool guy with an AWESOME set of bootfoot waders. I'll be check into the Meisers and will definitely be fiddling with the lines once I get dialed in.

I took Jamie Lyle's Spey casting clinic that the Reno Flyshop (great place that will be sorely missed) last summer, and had a ball. Jamie brought out 30 or so lightning rods for us to try. Although it was a 3 or 4 hour class, I threw Skagits for 6 hours. I couldn't get enough.

I may have thrown the 14' TCX, but I'm not sure. It was a Sage something, something. Jamie kept calling it a weapon. Since I didn't need a Skagit ballista, and I rarely need to hang a piece of yarn on the far side of the Truckee, I switched to the 11' Sage something, something. Although not as fun as the 14 footer, it was great once I got the timing down. I've had a proclivity to liking Sage rods for a very long time during my test drives, but I have recently taken a liking to Scotts because they are flat out fun to fish, but they are hard to find and try. Same thing on Beulah. You non Sacto guys have no idea how many fly shops don't carry two handed fly rods.

Thanks for the help, I think you answered my question that the 9'8" single hand rod can wait. A 5/6 should handle that application until I start drift boating. I just need to try as many as I can before deciding. I do appreciate the suggestions and the advice.

Hector

Grampa Spey
03-22-2011, 07:31 AM
GrampaSpey:
With your big Meiser, you ought to consider New England for the late summer-fall
stripers. I have several books you can borrow if you ever consider such a trek. The
scenery is spectacular; the fishing can be, too.
Best to you,
Larry S

This fall, my trophy wife and I will be celebrating our 50th anniversary.

However, a fall trip to New England combined with checking out the fall foliage might be an option that both of us would like.

Grampa Spey
03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
I very much enjoy casting my Z-Axis rods as well and was pleasantly surprised by the casting of the TCX's. My 12 1/2 ft. 7wt. TCX is a thunderstick (I bought it to toss small rodents and large birds to the far side of the river) but the TCX switch rods I've cast and fished are very smooth and less demanding. They are also a bit longer than the Z-Axis which I liked for two handed casting but a bit less for one handed casting. I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts, particularly after you get a chance to cast them side my side. Kiene's has the rods, and perhaps more importantly good folks with the expertise to help you find just the right magic wand. Again, feel free to ring if you'd care to chat in detail.

The Deathstar is definitely not a switch rod, but it is an incredible Small Spey Rod:

http://www.deneki.com/2009/11/sage-7126-4-tcx-the-death-star/