PDA

View Full Version : Henrys Fork

bclem81
03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Anyone ever fished the Henrys Fork this time of yr. Heading to Idaho all next week and will be right next to the Henrys Fork. I am looking to nymph and swing some big streamers. Any info would be awesome. I really want to get into some Bulls (Ive heard lower river). Again any info would be awesome.

Thanks
Brian

Troutstalker55B
03-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Brian,

I have never fished the HF this time of year, but plenty between July and Sept. My favorite section on the river is "Box Canyon". I have C&R some huge rainbows in there swinging and dead drifting a size 6 brown bugger. Best of luck......

Jon.

tacocat
03-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Been to Idaho (Boise) once, and they sent me to eastern Oregon to go fish.

bclem81
03-17-2011, 10:02 PM
wow thats not good.

pgw
03-18-2011, 06:57 AM
I generally fish Henry's Fork later in the year (June to November) since the Railroad Ranch section doesn't open until June 15th...I'll be there in September this year.

I believe that the water downstream from the Ranch to Ashton doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend but the water upsteam from the Ranch through Box Canyon to Island Park Res. is open all year to to catch and release fishing...check the regs.

Caddis should just be starting...them green "Mother's Day" guys get thick up there and I've always had good luck fishing simple, cheap to tie, heavy rubber-legged stonefly nymphs below Island Park Dam...call Henry's Fork Anglers for information.

Have fun,

Paul

tacocat
03-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Brian,

My reply was a bit cryptic. No the fishing was awesome. Check with the Idaho Angler if you will be staying in Boise. They are a great shop, and I have spent many hours and dollars in there.

If you are going next week, It still maybe too cold to go fishing in many rivers. Boise is pretty warm, but the rest of the state may still be covered in snow, and their fishing season may be closed.

Good luck.

bclem81
03-18-2011, 10:41 AM
If I am not mistaken me and a buddy will be floating down it with Matt Hyde, yup with Hyde Boats. My buddy just bought a new one and we are going to get it. I know matt will know the river but I want to get a heads up before I go so I can tie up some flys.

Thanks for the info guys.

Charlie S
03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Been to Idaho (Boise) once, and they sent me to eastern Oregon to go fish.

I know where they sent you too.......grin!!!!

tacocat
03-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I know where they sent you too.......grin!!!!

Oh, that place is magic!

Congrats Brian. I hope you have a great trip. I didn't know that Snake and it's tribs would be open this time of year. I was speaking to someone formerly from Jack Dennis about that, and they said just about any part of the Snake is awesome.