PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Trouting

Jeff Fisher
03-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Since the Board is kinda slow lately, I'll throw this out there......

I'm going to visit the folks in late June for a week. Unfortunately, they don't live in Graeagle anymore, but have retired to SW Missouri, small town called Ava, east of Springfield.

I was suprised to discover that there are lots of trouting opportunities in the Ozarks of MO. What I've seen on the internet there are some beautiful trout streams only a couple hours from Ava, like the Current River for one.

I'm definitley saving a full day for fishing, so if anyone has some thoughts on where I should focus my research, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not hiring a guide, not looking to fish one of those big hydro tailwaters, and don't need to catch any monster brown trout. Just looking for an out of the way, scenic, wild trout stream where I might run into a few fish. Definitely don't mind hiking a few miles if needed. Smaller 3wt streams are fine too.

Thanks!

~J

David Lee
03-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Get a hold of Bob @ Feather-craft , he know all the local stuff .

Personally , I'd shine the Trout and chase some Smallmouth , quite a few world-class Smallie waters there ...

Good luck , take lots of pictures !!

D.~

Hairstacker
03-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Personally , I'd shine the Trout and chase some Smallmouth , quite a few world-class Smallie waters there ...

That was my initial reaction too. :D

slage
03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
I have fished the Current two seperate times. It's a great river. I have a friend in St. Louis and we drive ALL the way down.

I can't remember the access, but I believe it's a State Park/Forest. Call a fly shop in S.L. and ask. If you can't find anything I can contact my friend and let you know.

bbechtold
03-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Hey Jeff, I grew up in Springfield, MO, so I'm reasonably familiar with the area. My favorite non-tailwater fishing place is the North Fork of the White River, which is under an hour drive from Ava (5 hwy south from Ava to US-160, then east to Tecumseh, use Hwy PP and H to reach the trout sections of the river). Many describe this as the most "Western-Like" of Missouri trout rivers.

This is the freestone section of the North Fork of the White River upstream of Norfork Lake. The cold water from Rainbow Springs marks the beginning of the trout holding part of the river. The river is very scenic with wild Rainbows and planted Browns, and some nice caddis/mayfly hatches at times (upstream of the springs the river is warmer and a great Smallmouth fishery too). The best walk in access is at Rainbow Springs, Blair Bridge, and Patrick Bridge. Though the best way to fish the river is rent a canoe and float from Rainbow to Blair or Blair to Patrick and stop to fish good spots along the way (this is a popular canoeing river, so there are lots of canoe rental companies that run shuttles on the river...if you can do it Mon-Thurs you can avoid much of the canoeing crowds).

The Current River (trout and smallmouth) and Jacks Fork Rivers (smallmouth) are great too, though might be a little far for a day trip (closer to 2 hours). However, they are National Scenic Rivers and have some great scenery.

Good Luck!

Jeff Fisher
03-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks everyone who replied. All good info. The good thing about this Board is it seems there's rarely a body of water in the USA that nobody has fished or has info on.

Ok....time to start my research. I'll definitely take lots of pics to share with the Board.

~J

P.S. Brian, I may PM you, if you don't mind.

bbechtold
03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Go right ahead Jeff...in fact I just send you one to help get you started.

One of the most useful websites for The North Fork of the White River is from River of Life Farms...

http://www.riveroflifefarm.com/fishing.html

One other thing I'd mention, for all potential fly-fishers who make a pilgrimage to Missouri (ha ha). The stream access law is somewhat similar to California where it is to high water mark on "navigable" streams. One nice thing that the department of conservation does is lease or buy land on many rivers where US, MO, or County highways cross the river to ensure access (often building a small parking area and some even with restrooms)...it is what happens when they have a dedicated 1/8 cent sales tax that legally can't be taken by other state agencies (and another 1/8 cent goes to Dept of Nat Resources). I personally have never had a run in with a Missouri Landowner, and only once or twice saw a recently used bathtub in the front yard...and I cannot be sure if the tune I heard was dueling banjos. :D

p.s. I have my license checked by wardens two to three times per year in Missouri on average. In five years of living and fishing in NorCal, I NEVER had my license checked once! Apologies in advance for straying so far off topic.