PDA

View Full Version : Restore the Delta / CSPA Benefit Tournament, April 3, 2011, Russo's Marina

Mike F
03-13-2011, 09:37 PM
The second annual Restore the Delta/CSPA Benefit Tournament will take place on April 3rd at Russo's. We had 11 fly fishing boats last year and would like to at least double that number this year.

There will be three divisions:
Fly Fishing boats; Team Tournament, $150 entry fee
Gear boats; Team Tournament, $150 entry fee
Kickboats/Kayaks; Individual Tournament, $75 entry fee

2/3 of the entry fees will be a tax deductible donation to Restore the Delta and CSPA. The remaining 1/3 will be paid back 100%. We will have a raffle and BBQ at the weigh-in. Attached is the link to the sign-up web page.

http://restorethedelta.org/?page_id=751

This tournament will be a low-pressure event and a great opportunity to hear the Delta's story from the experts. Restore the Delta and CSPA have impeccable reputations. They are battling in Sacramento to protect the Delta's ecosystem.
www.restorethedelta.org
www.calsport.org

Please call me with any questions.

Thanks,

Michael Frost
(650) 793-0654 cell

Woodman
03-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Not sure I understand? What type of tournament is this Bass? if we restored the Delta would there be many? Please explain.

Not sure restoring the Delta and having the fishery anyone in particular wants is compatible.

Mike F
03-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Woodman,

I'll address your questions one by one...

"Not sure I understand?"

We are hosting a tournament to benefit two 5013(c) organizations that work to protect the water that flows through the Delta. If you're curious about the mission statements of Restore the Delta and CSPA, please visit the websites. You will most likely gain a better understanding of the issue.
www.restorethedelta.org
www.calsport.org
Fish need water. Salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, stripers, black bass, etc. have all declined with the increased exporting of water out of the Delta. A bass tournament provides an opportunity to attract multiple fishermen to learn about the Delta and raise funds to protect the ecosystem. ALL FISH NEED WATER. The water exporters are trying to pit the fishermen against one another in the stripers vs. salmon debate. Check the numbers. All fish have declined simultaneously with the increased exporting of Delta water.

"What type of tournament is this Bass?"

This is a bass tournament. It provides an opportunity for bass fishermen to help salmon, smelt, steelhead, stripers, black bass, sturgeon, etc. We fishermen must stand together.

"if we restored the Delta would there be many? Please explain."

Restoring the Delta means "RESTORING THE FLOWS OF WATER" to maintain and restore a healthy ecosystem. If the flows of water are increased (or restored), the fish numbers will increase.

"Not sure restoring the Delta and having the fishery anyone in particular wants is compatible."

The first thing that must happen to avoid a complete collapse of the ecosystem is to establish minimum flow guidelines through the Delta out the Golden Gate. We're fighting the peripheral canal and battling for enough water to keep ALL OF THE DELTA FISH alive. There is no time or energy to debate bass vs. salmon vs. smelt vs. any other fish. ALL fishermen must band together to fight for water immediately or we'll kiss this ecosystem goodbye forever. There is no time for infighting among fishermen.

Again, if you want to learn about the beneficiaries of this tournament, please read their websites which include plenty of information on this issue, their mission statements, strategies, and tactics for fighting the water exporters. There are no secrets here.
www.restorethedelta.org
www.calsport.org

Mike F

Hairstacker
03-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Not sure, but maybe he's asking if this is a striped bass tournament or a largemouth bass tournament?

Mike F
03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Largemouth. The info in the attached links is very specific. Please feel free to read the rules, etc. WWW.restorethedelta.org. click on the bass tournament link on the right side of the home page.

FlyReelFisher
03-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Mike,

I am from the pro-salmon and steelhead camp. I am not anti bass(any type). I think you did a superb job adressing the concerns of "Woodman," of which I share.

Dave Sellers/Dan Blanton did not do such a great job on Dan's board. Maybe you can rub off on them?

Mandated Minimum flows into and out of the delta would be a great accomplishment, regardless of how you feel about the right of bass to exist in the delta. The only way they will "go away" is when all the fish go extinct in the delta. The salmon/steelhead and bass fisherman MUST UNITE for the sake of the delta. If we are divided, we will be conquered together, regardless.

Mike F
03-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Dan Blanton has supported us big time, by donating a 1-day guide trip and mentioning the tourney on his website.

Again, the tourney on April 3rd will be a day to fraternize with different types of Delta anglers, learn about the ecosystem, and participate in a great raffle.

"Divide and Conquer" has long been the strategy of robber barons. They would LOVE to pit bass fishermen vs. fly fishermen vs. commercial fishermen vs. environmentalists, etc. The water has the value.

Wild salmon is one of the top 10 most nutritious foods in the world. We have a renewable resource (supply of fresh Chinook that returns every year) that should continue in perpetuity IF WE MAINTAIN A HEALTHY ECOSYSTEM. If the water flows and spawning habitat is maintained and/or increased, the fish will come ROARING BACK!!! Just look at the salmon numbers that peaked in 2000 after the wet years in the late 90s. When the drought hit in the early 2000s and the pumping was increased, there was a catastophic drop. in the numbers of salmon, smelt, stripers, sturgeon, steelhead, etc.

Yes, largemouth and stripers eat salmon, no quesiton. But they've coexisted for 150 years until the flows have slowly been syphoned down to a level that can't support ANY aquatic life, much less a migratory fish that needs cold water.

Are we going to allow this crime against the California fisheries be perpetrated ON OUR WATCH?????? Hell no. I SURE AS HELL WON'T STAND BY AND WATCH MY BELOVED DELTA (and ALL of its game fish, native or not) COLLAPSE.

mark
03-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Looking forward to the tournament, we will be fishing it.

Mike F
03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Cool. Thanks. This should be a fun with the mild weather. I'm camping Saturday night at Beacon Harbor.

Mike F

Charlie Gonzales
04-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Lookin forward to Sunday, cant wait to feel the tug. Fishin with my good friend Captn Noel.

Mike F
04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Thank you to those fishermen that braved the tough conditions on Sunday!
Dominic Alexander, Mark Kirsten, Gil Machado, Rich Leonetti, Daniel Byrne, Thomas Goodwin, Marcus Schroers, Charles Bishardt, Noel de Guzman, Ric Rudsers, and John Sherman.

Only one of the fly fishing boats weighed in fish; John Sherman and Ric Rudsers caught 3 fish for 5.32lbs, 3.32lb big fish. John also donated a BOATLOAD of Simms gear AND donated $150 of his winnings back to the cause!

Dan Byrne made out well in the raffle, winning both the 9ft. 8-weight Fly Shop H20 Rod AND the Dan Blanton guide trip!!!!

Great job, guys. Thank you for being such warriors in BRUTAL conditions.

Mike F

Rich Leonetti
04-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for putting on a great event Mike. Brutal was an understatement... After the wet ride across Franks Tract ....I think I thawed out about 11ish... only to have to make the same ride back across the track...Congrats to Sherman he's a great fisherman to catch fish on a fly rod in those conditions....

Rich Leonetti