View Full Version : Tsunami!

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Prayers going out to Hawaii!

http://www.kcra.com/news/27157551/detail.html :eek:

Mems - you ok????

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2011, 08:13 AM
My sister live on Oahu but live up on high ground.

Will have to call her.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2011, 08:18 AM
I hope OregonSalmon (my son Galen Geller) isn't clamming today in Seaside, Oregon?

mems
03-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Aloha All, the tsunami wasn't too bad here. Kona got a surge of 9 feet and Alii drive in kona got hit, and some homes damaged. Oahu has boats floating around in Kehii lagoon, but no real damage over here. My wife works for Red Cross and was at the commnad center all night, she will need some sleep. We were fortunate again, pray for the people of Japan, a 9.1 is a huge earthquake. Mems.

Darian
03-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Hey Don,.... Good to hear from you and that everyones OK. A 9 foot tsunami is a substantial surge. There'll be a lot to clean up.

I've been following the coverage on TV. Japan is devastated. Couldn't believe the amount of water coming on shore. One of the fires that resulted from the quake, itself, was rumored to be at a nuclear power generation station.

In California, it's been hit and miss. All of the low spots received some level of surge. Apparently some boats broken loose in Santa Cruz harbor. One was sinking.

Amazing how much power is pent up in those waves....

Rick J
03-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I heard that Crescent City had some very serious damage from the Tsunami

Darian
03-11-2011, 04:17 PM
The noon news said that Crescent city suffered some damage. The harbor area was hit hard and several boats were either adrift or sunk. Apparently, Citizens Dock area was heavily damaged and one person was presumed washed away in the surge.... Coast Guard was searching. Highways 101/255(?) were closed.

Haven't heard anything about the Humboldt Bay area but there's a bunch of low lying communities in that area that could've sustained damage, as well. :-(

BobVP
03-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I just drove home (Fort Bragg) from Humboldt this morning and the damage there is almost nil. They have not opened the low lying areas for people to return home yet as there is still a (minimal) chance of some larger surges.
Noyo harbor in Fort Bragg had a big enough surge to break apart at least on dock and several boats. Not as bad a the winter storm surges of '76 but still not great for anyone with a boat down there or for the harbor district.

Sad about Crescent City! That place seems to get it every time there is an earthquake. Brookings also lost "70% of the commercial harbor.." according to the harbormaster there.

Jay Murakoshi
03-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey Mems,

I'm glad you and the family are OK.... I remember years back when we had a tsunami alert and all the sirens going off. The locals went to higher ground and the tourist wanted their money's worth. Fortunate for them it didn't happen. We were safe, we lived WAY back in Manoa Valley on Round Top drive. I'll bet the area I grew up in is really different since I left in '62.
Maybe just maybe I'll get back to the islands for one last visit before I turn to ashes. I met some folks in Pasadena who lived on Oahu and were almost neighbors on Round Top Drive.
They actually knew the name of the cul de sac I lived on. And I attended Roosevelt High school with her sister and brother for one year. My neighbor behind me here in Fresno also attended Roosevelt but I was 3 years a head of her

Small world

Jay

OregonSalmon
03-17-2011, 06:03 PM
What is it...tsumai...shushie...hell I don't know. A very easy fix to the problem...YOU GET YOUR PANTS ON, GRAB SOME BEERS AND HEAD TO THE FREAKIN' HILLS!!! My solution. God was not taking a stupid fool like myself that day. He has plenty of chances to kick me in the groin but the big boy upstairs did not win the March Madness that day. I'm still in the bracket baby!!!
It was great fun and a learned experience. New it before, but we all have to relearn. Good hike. Kids seemed to like the adventure. But all fingers and toes are about though my mind seems to be lost. We all knew that was inevitable. Drolling is not a bad thing.
You boys stay in line and I won't be dumb enough to get drown-iffedd. Someone has to tie the flies.

--There is one difference between Heaven and hell....you can change hell---