PDA

View Full Version : Painting Big Bass Poppers

koffler
03-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Thought I saw a thread about this awhile ago but cannot find it in the archives. Any advice about painting big bass flies - foam bodies in particular - specifically bodies made of tradititional flip-flops. I thought I read folks paint them with latex paint, not sure if primers and/or a finish is required after the primary paints are applied. I'm on to something and any feedback relating to how to finish them (they'd probably fish the same regardless of paint or not) is appreciated; the paint is likely more for my asthetical view than the fishes but just wondering what info folks may have.

As always thanks-

Jason

Darian
03-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Timely subject. I've been working on some hard foam bodied poppers for Bass fishing around here. For the hard foam, I've used vinyl paint. Comes in large or small, wide mouth jars. After I shape the foam and glue the hook in place, I dip the popper body in the vinyl paint, let the excess drip off and let it dry for 24 hours. no need to use a primer that I've seen. If you want a multi-colored body, you can dip the front end of the body to create a two colored popper. Other methods can be used to add painted on eyes or dots. 8)

The next steps are to tie in the weed guard, bucktail and glue on the eyes. Last steps are to tide off the weed guard and coat the popper body with Sally Hansen's, clear. :)

If you're good with an airbrush, you can really be creative. Model airplane dope is good for that application. :)

Lotsa fun stuff in building poppers. :smirk:

Hairstacker
03-07-2011, 11:30 PM
If you just use deer hair, it comes pre-painted. :D

David Lee
03-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Sharpies on foam , perhaps Testors enamel paint ... test on foam to make sure it won't melt it .

Do yourself a favor - try doing several w/ NO color , and fish them an equal amount of time - tell me you notice a difference in the catch rate between the slick ones you've spent hours getting the color 'right' on , and the plain ol' boring White ones .

Think about how much of that color is seen by Bass and Sunnies (and Stripers , and Jacks , and whatever) .....

D.~

Jay
03-08-2011, 12:23 AM
8", 4oz. Kinda tough to throw on a fly rod though :D

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/fourbizzle/chartshadnoclear.jpg

Jay Murakoshi
03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Jay,

I use acrylic lacquer for painting my bass poppers. I find that if your painting foam bodies, it's best to use a sealer then paint. A few years ago when I was manufacturing balsa wood poppers, I would dip the bodies in a AeroGloss balsa sealer then airbrush the body and finish it with two coats or clear lacquer. Like the photo in this thread, I have made a couple flies out of EZ body tubing that are around 5" to 6" in length. I run a strand of wire through the tube and put a twist on both ends. I also add a prop either in the front or the rear of the fly (lure). Then airbrush the finished product. I also create this style of fly out of deer hair (on a tube or long shank hook) by using the stacking technique to create the multi colored body.
Maybe when I come up for the Kiene's Fly Fishing fair in April, I might demo the tube style bass fly and some of my bait fish patterns.

I usually don't paint the colored foam popper bodies, unless they are white to start with

I have two DVD's for sale, one on tying bait fish patterns and the other one on tying deer hair bass flies. They are not on my website, yet but can be purchased by emailing me and I will give you the information on how to order. I hope to have these in a few shops throughout California. The Fishermen's Spot in Van Nuys has ordered some and two shops back in Florida will soon have them. I was surprised, that I sold out at the Pleasanton show on Saturday. A third Tying with Deer Hair will soon be out.

My nickels worth of info

Jay

Mike O
03-08-2011, 07:26 PM
8", 4oz. Kinda tough to throw on a fly rod though :D

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/fourbizzle/chartshadnoclear.jpg

More of a lob cast with a 12 wt?

Steve Potter
03-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I love fishing Leo's style Poppers and I just use spray paint from OSH and coat them with Flex-coat. They last 6 or 7 fish or a few hits on the rip-rap. Green and yellow is the hot ticket. Steve

David Lee
03-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I love fishing Leo's style Poppers and I just use spray paint from OSH and coat them with Flex-coat. They last 6 or 7 fish or a few hits on the rip-rap. Green and yellow is the hot ticket. Steve

Rip-Rap , killer of fine Poppers . I need to make more foam ones , good Balsa blows-up pretty easily ....

D.~

Darian
03-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I have a popper in my fly box like the one in you photo (sans rubber legs) that I've had for 20 years and never got it wet.... #-o I gotta remember to try it out. :nod:

There's just something about a balsa bodied popper that I like better than a foam body but.... times change. I am going to continue to make balsa bodies in addition to the foam, tho.... :nod:

Steve Potter
03-09-2011, 08:25 AM
I too agree, I enjoy getting the materials together and carving and sanding the bodies. I work for about 4 doz balsa poppers a year. This year I have do some more. There is sometime "Old School" about these poppers. I have some buddies that paint better than the guys in the auto body shops!!!

Darian
03-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Hey,.... That's a box full of potential.... :D :D