PDA

View Full Version : Truckee river-March

bigfly
03-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Two feet of fresh snow have added to the adventure. Although the rain reduced it to a foot.
Access is the issue, not crowding right now.
Lower canyon (Herschdale downstream) has a bit less snow.
NV. side easier going, but less clarity.
Fishing is OK, but the weather has gone warmish and we've had rain.
Blue sky windows have helped the melt too.
Water temp 35-41 deg. Flows are up a bit, and color is starting to go off. Dark green near town, tea-tan color lower in the canyon. Spring mud isn't far away now.
Olive mayfly nymph sz20 adult BWO sz 18, Midge larva/adult #22-24, Light stones #18-10,
SKWALA ADULTS #10-8 making an appearance now.
The spring "worm hatch" is happening, tan, orange, red, brown, etc.
Yellow/orange swimmer may #18-20, Baetis #22.
Little winter stone adults are out and about too, sz20.

Stalked some rising fish with dry "tandem midges" sz20 to effect.
The fish were clearly shopping the clump midge when sunny. BWO's when hazy.
Didn't see any risers yesterday, conditions are changing quickly.

Soft water/edges seem to fish best.

I suggest having a snow shovel in the car.
Bring snowshoes for best mobility.
The weather can alternate between t-shirts and sunblock, and full storm conditions.
Wear an extra layer under waders for added enjoyment.
Bring an extra change of clothes too, just in case.

Jim

JasonB
03-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for sharing, just out of curiosity just how critical would you say snowshoes are (1-10 scale)? I'm thinking about trying to make it up there sometime next week if the weather permits. I'm in serious NEED of a day on the river... and a trout or two wouldn't hurt either :D
-JB

bigfly
03-06-2011, 08:06 AM
JB,snow shoes not really needed for a young, fit, and formidable fisher like yourself. Good training!!!
I've been post-holing without too much trouble (1), but only 200-300 yds or so.
Strikes deep in the canyon, or out to the LT, it wouldn't hurt (7) to bring shoes.
Just don't wear cotton, a small breaking of sweat goes a long ways in chilly conditions.
I strip down to hike out, then re-layer, after the cool down.
Mornings you can walk on top of the crust, the return trip in the PM is more work.
I busted the berm at Glennshire yesterday, and packed out the trail already.
Bug watching alone was worth the trip. Skwalas walking on the snow!!!
Let me know if ya come up, we'll fish!

Jim

JasonB
03-06-2011, 09:22 AM
JB, not really needed for a young, fit, and formidable fisher like yourself. Good training!!!
Jim

HA! I like your choice of words much better than those of my wife, which went something more like broke, stubborn and desperate. Your words just gave me all the encouragement I needed I think. Don't tell the trout, I'm on my way :-$
JB

kabah088
03-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Heading up there around the 20th... I was looking at the regs for DFG and want to make sure. Its legal to fish from lake tahoe along 89 till the trout creek confluence. IS this correct?

Any one have any recent reports on what is working?

gilligan
03-09-2011, 09:30 AM
No, that stretch of the river to the confluence of Trout Creek (which is right below the town of Truckee) is closed until general trout season re-opens on I believe April 23rd this year. The rest of the river from Trout Creek to the state line of Nevada, through Nevada, is open year round. Depending on where you fish along the river will determine you success. I have mostly been fishing in Nevada, as the water is warmer and the bugs are more active. The entire Ca side should start fishing much better after this weekend. Days will be longer, and more sun will warm the water making bugs and fish more active. By the 20th you should expect to see a fair amount of Skwalas and BWOs, nymphing with both along the Glenshire stretch will be your best success. Cruise into Mountain Hardware in Truckee if you need any bugs or more info. Cheers.

www.gilligansguideservice.com
www.gilligansguideservice.blogspot.com

bigfly
03-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Matt's right about going lower in the canyon.
Spring comes a little earlier down there.
Water was 44 deg. yesterday in the edge water 40-41 mid stream at Glenshire.
Most fish activity has been during peak temps in the PM.
Not many noses. I'd say fish subsurface.
Flows have been coming up about an inch everyday or so.
Color is still good up near town.
Caught a couple yesterday (fiesty), but not hot and heavy yet.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/th_marchfishing003-1.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/?action=view&current=marchfishing003-1.jpg)
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/th_marchfishing005-1-1.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/?action=view&current=marchfishing005-1-1.jpg)
Both bug and fish were released unharmed.:lol:

Jim

pgw
03-09-2011, 01:19 PM
closed until general trout season re-opens on I believe April 23rd this year.

If, according to the regs, the General Season opens on the last Saturday in April, and while April 23rd may be the 4th Saturday in that month, it isn't the last Saturday in April so then, the general season opens on the 30th of April.

Paul

gilligan
03-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Yes, you're right pgw, good look'n out.

www.gilligansguideservice.com
www.gilligansguideservice.blogspot.com

kabah088
03-10-2011, 10:46 AM
thank you gilligan for the clarification
thanks one again big fly for the excellent info

bigfly
03-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Spring is here!!!!! Not freezing at night. Very warm day temps.
Lots of snow, be prepared to post-hole for your fish.
Not a lot of parking/access, not many fishermen yet either.
I'd say bring some sun screen. It is bright out!!!!
The river is really nice right now. Green and slowly rising. Off color in the pm.
Caught three fish yesterday subsurface, Baetis nymph sz 20.
SJ worms, are a large part of the bug seines.
Midges very active, Little winter stones on the snow, Skwalas have shown up big time.
Gulpers can be found in slack water, and tempted with a dry.
Beautiful BWO hatch sz 18 if hazy. March browns are starting too sz12!
Crays are out of the mud and moving about.
Water temp is 44-47. With this warming, the Truckee may blow out later this week.
Get it while it's good.
Flows are up enough to warrant a switch rod. My 5wt seemed a bit small yesterday.

The road to the LT is not open.1 ft++. of snow on the road and barely tracked.
I drove to the campground and called it good enough.
Boca lake is thawed, and fishy. Looks like reservoirs will be near full this year.
No ramp/shore access yet.
Bring a tow strap and shovel, just in case.
Extra gas (4.30 here), and clothes too.

Jim