PDA

View Full Version : Texas Stillwater

Rich Morrison
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
There is only one naturlally reproducing trout population here in Texas - in a well know river that is a tailwater and as such has cool constant (or nearly so) temperature water all year.

But the state does stock some friendly little Rainbows in small local ponds and lakes for recreational purposes during the winter. I recently discovered they have done this in a little .75 acre pond near my house. What a perfect spot to take my kids and begin the fly fishing instruction process. It's actually a lovely little pond, and the trout there appear to eat the same bugs trout do most other places I've fished. They are just a bit bigger (it is Texas after all!!). Anyway - here is nice little one I hooked and had my 5 yr old son land. Bonus points for anyone who can correctly ID the rod.
Rich

Scott V
03-01-2011, 10:56 AM
It's a fly rod. What do I win?

Jeff C.
03-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Performance Ply by Press Powell. I've got three (5 wt, 6 wt and 8 wt). I'm keeping them forever

Rich Morrison
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Nicely done Jeff. Are your perf ply rods labeled for a single line weight? I've got the pictured 5-6wt and a 7-8wt. Great rods.

Jeff C.
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I meant 4/5, 5/6 and 7/8. There are great sticks. Strong butt section with a delicate tip.