PDA

View Full Version : Powell Rods

no thumbs
03-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Hello, I've got a few older rods that I was trying to find the value of.
One is a Powell "TROPHY" IM6 9-10WT. 9'6" 2 piece it has these numbers on the blank 0475-94, Powell LGA907-4, and the last is a Powell Tiboron 906-4.
I think the first two are from when the Powell's owned the company in Chico. I bought the Tiboron back in 1999-2000 so I know it isn't one of the new models that have come out over the years.

Any info would be much help. I'm looking to sell all of these rods but I need to find some prices.

Thanks

Rich Morrison
03-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Mr Thumbs...

The Tiburon is, as you say, not a Chico rod. These routinely fetch around $150 on ebay.

The LGA is not a Chico rod...it is a post move Schwab and in that config would garner around $50 to $75 on ebay.

The "Trophy" rod is very strange but it is most likely a Chico era rod. The -94 of the serial number would indicate the year of make of 1994. However, for production in 1994 the Powell Rod Co had gone to a serial number convention whereby the year of make was indicated by the letter A followed by the year in the 90s of make. So your rod SHOULD have a serial number of A40475. And the "Trophy" name for that rod (the 9-10wt 9' 6"), which is a Light Touch, also last appears on any Powell literature in the 1992-93 price list. The only thing I can figure is it was built either as a custom rod and/or very near the end of 1993 or begining of 1994. It could also be a kit build rod with the builder attemping to mimic the Powell labeling convention not realizing it had changed for the 1994 production run. I would need to see photos to detemine that. To value...if it is a factory rod you are looking at anywhere from $150 to $250 - depending on timing, venue, and condition - I would think. If it has an original Powell tube and sock of the proper vintage you can potentially add another $50 to the selling price. If it is a kit rod knock at least $100 off my valuation. As I said pictures would help on this rod quite a bit.

Feel free to email me at gyro@suddenlink.net with photos if you are so inclined. I hope this helps.
Rich