PDA

View Full Version : jimmy green rod/ valentine multiplier spey reel FS

socallies23
02-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Up for sale:

JIMMY GREEN fly rod
the rod is around 7 ft in length still has stamps on the cork all original wraps.
The handle has some darkening like a patina. This rod does not have the modern day ferule system. This was prior to jimmys work a fenwick and sage.
Rod was built by phil pedely in sonoma Ca. Kinda a cool collector piece related to the guy who created out modern day ferule system. Asking 150.00 obo.

Valenitne Fly reel sold sold sold
This is the 400 series model Which is 4" reel and weighs in at 10.01 oz without backing or line. This reel is a multiplier with a 1:1.5 ratio. Parts are avaliable from the manufactuer despite it being out of production. original msrp is 400.00 dollars. I use this reel on my 7 weight spey set up works great I just don't need two of them. I don't know how often it was fished I'm not the original owner But I have never used this one would rate it 9.5 outta 10 don't wanna claim perfection. The reel is 100% fuctional set up for left hand retrieve but for 10 bucks can be converted to rhw. The manufactuer sells the part for 10 dollars. Asking 225.00 shipped Btw you can also still get spare spools from the manufactuer. This is a pre 84 model from what I have found also there is a drag upgrade avaliable If your into playing with stuff. I opted to not touch this one.

Cheers Matt
the2wdmatt@aol.com
www.anadromousaddicts.com

FISHEYE
02-28-2011, 09:56 PM
A buddy has been fishing a Valentine reel for over 30 years. I don't know what model. I keep kidding him about it for years telling him he needs to upgrade to Abel or something similar like I have. However, he just laughs. He has caught over 2000 king salmon on it and I could not begin to guess how many red and silver salmon and steelhead. I think he had to replace some minor part once and they just sent it for free. That reel just won't die.

socallies23
02-28-2011, 10:44 PM
The folllowing is very loyal and the company is like some side project of the owners. He has another company that is primary but its cool to talk with the owner designer when you call....

socallies23
03-01-2011, 08:43 AM
price drop on valentine too 200.00 shipped

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-01-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.valentineflyreel.com/

At Kiene's we use to sell and use the Valentine fly reels.

We particular liked their single action series which where kind of like high end Pflueger Medalist.

The multiplier series was interesting because when the fish ran you let go of the handle and it spun back wards. I mean the knob spun, not the spool.

They had their day in the sun in the 70s and 80s.

socallies23
03-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks Bill:D I forgot to include their website. It is really a different feeling when the fish run with that reel. Matt

socallies23
03-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Final drop on the reel to 175.00 shipped and 100.00 on the jimmy green rod. Or a trade? for the right deal.