PDA

View Full Version : Lines for Switch rod in Surf

fishabuoy
02-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Avid surf fisher for past decade, just started with the switch rod in the surf about a year ago - and absolutely love it for the NorCal suds...it's the perfect tool for most conditions we face up here (read larger scale structure, larger waves, and more hydraulics and wind).

I'm fishing the TFO Deer Creek 5/6 and it's been a great compromise for balancing between "light enough" for the BSP side of things, but still enough backbone to handle Stripers when I'm having a lucky day. I typically have fished this with T8 to T14 heads connected to Suffix and have been happy and quite successful with this rig for fishing ALL species... i.e not targeting any one specifically. This rod's grain window is 250-450 - and has a sweet spot for my casting stroke in the 350-400 range.

However, this summer, I'm interested in trying a couple different techniques I've been talking about with several other seasoned surf-fishers - all of who fish a single handed 8 or 9wt.

First - throwing BIG bait-fish imitations (6-7" variety) on an INT or type III head for stripers, essentially targeting them specifically as I'll only be fishing the upper third of the water column.

Second - throwing a floating head for indicator-clousering specifically for Halibut (ala article written by Rob Ketley awhile back in CA FF).

There are several lines I "could" use for either of these setups....Floating Rio Clouser in 11 or 12wt would fall into the gr window for a floating indicator/clouser setup, but the 40' head would be difficult to handle in all but the calmest of days I'd think, especially with a large, bulky fly...

Then there are the RIOMax II 30' heads...which would be a similar length and weight (in 11 or 12wt) to what I'm used to casting with my T-heads. Then there are the new RIO Switch lines....Airflo too....and finally there are multiple combinations I could use with a Skagit head and sink or floating tips........Soooo many lines / options - I need expert advice on how to rig this!!! :-k:-k:-k

Just to be clear I AM NOT spey casting this rig in the surf. I'm two-handed, overhead casting - similar to how you would fish a single handed rod for stripers in the Delta (waterload the first pickup back-cast, make maybe one false cast to get the head out the tip-top w/small over-hang - then FIRE).

Thanks in advance for your expertise and replies!

Cheers-
Bobby V

Larry S
02-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Bobby:
Look into the Rio Outbound lines.
Larry S

Mumbles
02-22-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm a fan of airflo 40+ lines, with a 35' head, for two handed overhead casting, roll out the head with the tip low, waterhaul to the rear like you have a pair, load, release high and fire! If 35' is too long, my second choice would be the Rio Outbound or Outbound Short. I prefer the Airflo ridge running line greatly over the Rio running line. Best of luck.

Terry Thomas
02-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Would agree that the Outbound Short is hard to beat. Beulah may be coming out with a surf line to match their surf rods. I have had a chance to cast one of their samples and I am very impressed. If you go to the Pleasanton Show, ask them how close they are in the program.
T.

SFMike
02-22-2011, 10:18 PM
I'd stick towards the shorter heads like the Outbound short or the Rio Max II heads. I got a regular Outbound (37.5' head, I think) and it was just a bit too long to handle. I was using it on an 11'6" 6/7 rod and not having much luck casting. So now I'm casting a bit better with the 30' Rio heads, but still haven't had much luck catching anything! Hopefully that'll change this year.

Let us know what you end up using,
Mike