PDA

View Full Version : Pleasanton Fly Fishing Show this week

Bull_Dog
02-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey guys the biggest fly fishing show in the bay area is this weekend. 2/25-2/27

Their will be many presentations on fishing all over the world, casting demonstrations etc. Major fly fishing companies will have gear to see and local fly shops and outfitters as well.

I will be doing three presentations on Fly Fishing at Pyramid Lake Friday at 3:00-Saturday at 12:00 and Sunday at 3:00 It is a great show and if you ever wanted to fish at Pyramid it is a show you do not want to miss.

I will also be doing two shows on Fly Fishing for Peacock Bass (renoflyshop.com)in the Brazilian Amazon. I have been going to Brazil for about 10 years now and the information in this show is invaluable to anyone wanting to go on the most exciting fly fishing trip in the world.

Rob Anderson
Truckee River Outfitters

Ralph
02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi from Lisa -NOT Ralph :-)

I will be teaching an introduction to flyfishing clinic on Saturday between 2-4:30. Only ten students allowed and these fill up quickly. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email.
Lisa
Lisa Cutter
lcutter@earthlink.net

Jay Murakoshi
02-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Just finished the Pasadena show, next show Pleasanton. Looks like some of the same weather is heading this way. It rained Saturday afternoon and it rained hard. Most of the day was cloudy and cool. The attendance seemed to be the same with a few new faces in the crowd. At times, I had a lot of interested people watching the tying with deer hair. I also sold out of my DVD's that I took. I'll have more DVD's - tying bait fish patterns and tying deer hair bass bugs at the Pleasanton show. I'm also doing a BAJA presentation on Friday - the first show of the day. I have video footage of dorado underwater and a short video of jumping dorado.

See you on Friday, don't forget the umbrella

Jay

Jimmie
02-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Jay, Look forward to seeing you and watching you tie at Pleasanton. Enjoyed your Baja presentation last year (I gotta get my a** back to Baja!!).

And Lisa!! Look forward to saying Hi to you and Ralph too!! :D

Ralph
02-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Jay, Look forward to seeing you and watching you tie at Pleasanton. Enjoyed your Baja presentation last year (I gotta get my a** back to Baja!!).

And Lisa!! Look forward to saying Hi to you and Ralph too!! :D

Hey Jimmie-
I won't be there but keep an eye on Lisa for me! How about lunch @ happy apple?

Jimmie
02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Hey Jimmie-
I won't be there but keep an eye on Lisa for me! How about lunch @ happy apple?
Ralph,

Sounds great. I'm available most anytime. Give me a call when you want to meet.

Jaybinder
02-24-2011, 07:11 PM
What time does the show open?

Scott V
02-24-2011, 08:01 PM
What time does the show open?

Show Hours: Fri 10 - 6; Sat 9 - 5:30; Sun 9 - 4:30

Jaybinder
02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks Scott. Who's going on Friday?

Scott V
02-25-2011, 09:07 AM
I'll be there on Saturday.

Darian
02-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Went down to the show on Friday. Cloudy, windy and c-c-cold outside until we arrived at the show. Then just c-c-cold and windy. Still, a beautiful day. The first thing that happened on entering the main hall was running in to Leo Gutierrez. He was leaving the casting pond and handed me a Hardy, 9', 8 weight rod with a new Hardy reel to test cast. I've never cast at a show before but was amazed at how light the reel was and how well the rod performed. I was able to cast the length of the pond with little effort (minimal # false casts) and without using a double haul. The rod felt smooth during the cast and I felt like I could cast it all day without a lot fatigue. I didn't get to test the drag on the reel but adjustment seemed easily accomplished. Even tho I'm not much of a Hardy user, I'd recommend anyone try them. :cool:

Saw a bunch of old friends. The Kiene crowd and, of course, Jay and Ken. Jay's Baja presentation is always fun/informative. Lots of great fly tyers and of course, Norm Norlander demo'ing his Nor-Vise. I'm so impressed with the man and his products. I suppose I'll have to break down and buy one, eventually. I already use his bobbins. John Ryzanich demo'd one of his airhead flies for us. That guy is really a talented tyer. Said hello to Steve Potter. I'm always fascinated by the things Mr. Potter can create with deer hair.... :nod:

Not too many fly shops form the east coast there (where you could buy some exotic materials), unless I missed them somehow. The Fisherman's Spot (Van Nuys) was there. Bought a great T-shirt from them. Picked up some Permit flies from Sea Level Fly Fishing. :)

All in all, a great day. Traffic was light going and coming back. Sure was happy about that. I'll be back next year. :nod:

Scott V
02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
It was sad to see how hard the economy had hit the show. I did not think it would make so they could only fill one building and I was bummed that the kayak people did not show. I was hoping to pick up a new kayak. Oh well I hope things are better next year. At least I got to see old friends and meet new friends.

Jay Murakoshi
02-28-2011, 11:09 AM
My thoughts on the show..... From my side of the table, I thought the attendance was about the same as last year maybe a few more new faces in the crowd. The weather on Sat.morning was the ***** but I remember last year on Sat, it poured. It looked like a few of the exhibitors were selling products, a lot of rods being tested and a lot of tire kicking. I'm sure it's hard for the Alaska lodges to selling those high end trips as well as the tropical trips. I myself had a good weekend, sold a number of DVD's, I actually ran out on Sat. afternoon and took orders and gave the show price of $20.00 for the two tying DVD's. This morning, I'm sitting here burning videos ready for mail out. Sold a lot of flies and took some orders that were staggering.
Friday, I had the opening show at 11:00 am and a little incident happened. For those of you who attended, you know what I'm talking about. But hey Carl, if you read this site, I hope your feeling well.
My fly tying class wasn't full but it gave those time to figure out the techinque for stacking and tying deer hair flies. Hope you watch the video. Steve, yours is in the mail.
Sat in on a presentation by Loren Elliott. A good informative presentation and I'm sure there will be more in the future.
In my spare time, I will be working on a short video that I took with my GoPro. I walked around the show capturing people and exhibitors. I also let it run for a half hour on my ty ing table. As soon as it's completed, I'll post it on Vimeo.com

Hope to see you next year and may the gods bless a sunny warm day - forget the cold weather.

Jay

Loren E
03-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks Jay, coming from one of the guys who paved the way in the surf game your words of encouragement are really appreciated!
The show was a lot of fun and I enjoyed meeting many new faces.

tight lines -Loren