PDA

View Full Version : source for chamois?

jbird
02-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Interested in experimenting with some chamois patterns. Anyone know where to get it? None at any of my local craft/fabric stores. Sportsmans warehouse has some tan strips. Can they be died or colored? Wanting it in black and brown.

Edit:

I see a lot of suede available. Whats the difference?

Darian
02-19-2011, 06:59 PM
How about an auto parts store like Pepboys, etc. :?: They should have some chamois that they sell to help dry cars after washing.... :)

The only color I've ever seen is tan. Haven't tried to die Chamois skin, yet. But I have added ink markings with waterproof ink, felt tip pens. The material holds the colors well and doesn't stiffen at all. :nod:

I'll be interested in seeing what you do with it.... :D

jbird
02-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Good call Darian. I'll look into it.

David Lee
02-20-2011, 12:31 AM
J-

Try Ultrasuede , pretty common in fabric stores (look for remnants , the end of the rolls .... should cost less) . Another one of my favorites is called Bugskin , a super-thin shaved Goat Leather .... it's pricey , but great to work with . Call the local flyshop and see if they have it .

Good luck !

D.~

Mike O
02-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Wal-Mart in the sewing/crafts section on cards.

jbird
02-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Wal-Mart in the sewing/crafts section on cards.

huh, whodathunk? May have to dig out my overalls for a wallyworld trip :-)

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Darian
03-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Jay,.... Found another source for Suede. Try Michael's. I picked up 3 swatches of suede already died in black, brown and tan. Dimensions on the swatches are 3.5" X 9.25". They come from Tandy Leather Factory. There were no other colors available today as those racks were empty. The product is packaged as "Soft Leather Trim Piece." They ought to be able to order larger pieces if you need them. :D

jbird
03-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks Darian. Theres a Michaels here in Medford.

Mike O
03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
if you can find the stuff on the cards (michaels has it too) next to the leather pieces, they are usually cut in 1/4 or 3/8 in widths, wrapped around the card. Good stuff for leeches.