PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Regal Vise?

1flyfisher
02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I have had my regal vise for decades. Now when I put a hook in the jaws it sometimes pops out and goes flying across the room to be lost forever. This has been going on for well over a year and is getting worse now I am getting really pissed losing hooks in the carpet, (hooks ain't getting cheaper these days). I must have lost a few dozens of hook.

WTF is going on?
Are the jaws finally worn out?

Anyone have this problem and did you send it in for repairs and what happened? I think it is supposed to be warranted for life.
Did the co try and bilk money out of you for warranty repairs and bs shipping and handling costs like Sage does?
I have to get this fixed or get a new vise. I am very ready for a rotary but have been clinging to this old vise.

Darian
02-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I've been using a Regal Vice for about 5 years now and haven't experienced the problem yours exhibits. :|

What appears to be going on is probably normal wear and tear. The metal surrounding the area where your hook is held in the vice has worn smooth and maybe a bit cambered (hope that makes sense). When you place a forged wire hook (flat surface in the bend), it may hold; where a round wire hook is propelled by the pressure applied by the jaws. So, the jaws are apparently worn out for your application. :|

The only way to find out about warranties or charges for repairs is to call the company and ask or check out their website. :nod:

An alternative to sending it back is to buy a new set of jaws. They come in various sizes and are cheaper than buying a new vice. I bought an extra set of jaws that accommodate a larger size fly as I tie a bunch of salty flies these days. 8-)

Mike O
02-18-2011, 12:48 PM
They do repair them, but it ain't free. check your jaws. a lot of times when the hook goes flying out, the jaw metal will chip. If the regal is not holding the hooks, try turning the jaws upsided down. That's what I do, and I still love my regal

For info:

http://regalvise.com/index.php/Customer-Service.php

YEM
02-19-2011, 10:19 AM
I've had a Regal vise for 15 years and never had a problem until this month when I tied some #18 and #20s. Several times I didn't put the hook far enough into the jaw and *PING* the hook goes flying across the room. Totally my fault and I knew it could happen. Andy Puyans warned me when he sold me the vise. Okay, I was cheating on the edge of the jaw to get a little extra space to work. After two or three chips I decided to send my vise back to Regal for repairs (haven't done it yet). I'm considering getting Regal's midge jaw, but I think my standard jaw will work for #20 if I'm careful.

Steve Potter
02-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I had the same problem but my hooks inbedded in the sheet rock in my tying room wall. I fixed the problem by replacing the jaws and buying another vise with midge jaws. Most of my fly tying is in size 1thur 3/0 hooks. The regular jaws work great,but with my trout flies I go to the midge model. Lately I just use my Abel for everything especially at the shows. The last post is basically the same as mine so youre not alone with this problem, good luck
Steve

Darian
02-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Seems like a very good pastime (waster) could be had by painting a bullseye on the wall board and testing the accuracy of your shots out of the vice.... :lol: At least that's better than losing hooks in the carpet. It would be just my luck to step on one (or more) while walking around bare foot. :shock:

RSK
02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Does the newer stainless jaws have the same trouble with chipping? I have tied quite a bit on a regal knockoff and really like the vise but never wanted to invest in the regal because of the known problem with chipping and the fact that they gave such a hard time with their warranty. Also the recommended hook sizes for their jaw did not fit a nice window for me and I knew that would be an issue with them if I did have a problem. I have been tying on a norvise for quite some time and when I had a problem with one of my jaws I called and Norm answered and had a new jaw in the mail that day without even needing to see the old one. I really appreciate that kind of product support. I have allways wanted to pick up a regal for travel though.

1flyfisher
02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Can you elaborate on the "hard time with their warranty"

I am not looking forward to hassles and getting charged for repairs. I do know that when I bought it long ago it had a "Lifetime Warranty"...LOL...I do not know what that means these days. I know other FF manufacturers are trying to stick customers for $50 for shipping? :( Sage tried to stick me for $50 for shipping on an old rod with a "LifeTime Warranty". I am supposed to have a bumper to bumper 3 year warranty on my new 2010 GMC but every time I go into the dealership they try and stick me for repair costs. It's pissing me off.

I will call them and/or email them and see what is up. I'll let you folks know what happens. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Maybe they'll do the right thing and honor their Lifetime Warranty. If they try and bilk me for $$$ I'll just get a new rotary vise. I've been long over due for one anyway.

never wanted to invest in the regal because of the known problem with chipping and the fact that they gave such a hard time with their warranty.

RSK
02-19-2011, 04:02 PM
I was looking at picking a regal up about 15+ years ago and the shop guys told me that the jaws sometimes chipped if you did not put the hook in right or use the wrong size hook, or something like that, and that it was not covered under their warranty. I have no first hand experience with them and you should contact them and expect them to cover the problem if it is a defect. I would expect that you would pay shipping though.

Hairstacker
02-19-2011, 04:02 PM
According to Regal's website, "improper use and hook placement" that causes chipping will cost you $40 ("shipping and handling") for replacement jaws -- here's the link:

You'll also have to factor in the cost of shipping the jaws to them for examination and determination.

So, I suspect that unless you can convince them the cause was other than "improper use and hook placement," you'll be stuck. They probably deal with this issue a lot, since it invariably comes up when folks talk about Regal vises. In fact, the company recommends always wearing eye protection when using their vises, suggesting it happens enough they feel the need to cover themselves from a liability standpoint.

On the other hand, the above cost of replacing the jaws is still significantly cheaper than buying any new quality vise unless, of course, you have to do this repeatedly.

The company-stated range of hooks that the standard jaws will accept is 22 - 1/0 but it seems many start running into issues when they go smaller than size 18, maybe 20 at the smallest. That's a relatively limited size range compared to many other vise options -- something else to consider if you're weighing the jaw replacement route.

Charlie S
02-19-2011, 04:38 PM
I had a Regal for years and did experience the same problems you have been having. I saved the vice to pass on to a beginning tier, who has used it for another 15 years...but she is tying mostly bass bugs so no flying hooks for her.

You said you were thinking of a rotary vise. Recommend you do so. I won't advise of make or model except to say that I tie on both a Dyna King Barracuda and a Nor Vise...both are amazing and completely different. I haven't any real favorites. Renzetti is another well made vise. The advantages to having a rotary, once you learn to tie on it and utilize all the favorable things it can do for you, you will never go back. There's a lot of hype but see if you can try one out and then make a decision on what suits you best. What's great for me may be the pits for you.........nuff said.

1flyfisher
02-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Well I have had the vise for several decades with no problems so it would be pretty weak if they tried to blame me for putting the hook in wrong since I have been putting the hook in correctly for 20+ years with no problems till about a little over a year ago. So I think any reasonable person would see that they finally wore out. Anyway I will contact them and see what happens. Maybe they won't try and screw me (fingers crossed). If they try and stick me with some ridiculous shipping charges I will just get a new rotary vice(which I need anyway) and give this vice to a kid or maybe the VA or something or some school or boy scouts....
According to Regal's website, "improper use and hook placement" that causes chipping will cost you $40 ("shipping and handling") for replacement jaws -- here's the link:

You'll also have to factor in the cost of shipping the jaws to them for examination and determination.

So, I suspect that unless you can convince them the cause was other than "improper use and hook placement," you'll be stuck. They probably deal with this issue a lot, since it invariably comes up when folks talk about Regal vises. In fact, the company recommends always wearing eye protection when using their vises, suggesting it happens enough they feel the need to cover themselves from a liability standpoint.

On the other hand, the above cost of replacing the jaws is still significantly cheaper than buying any new quality vise unless, of course, you have to do this repeatedly.

The company-stated range of hooks that the standard jaws will accept is 22 - 1/0 but it seems many start running into issues when they go smaller than size 18, maybe 20 at the smallest. That's a relatively limited size range compared to many other vise options -- something else to consider if you're weighing the jaw replacement route.

1flyfisher
02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah If I have to shell out any $$$ for repairs then I will give it away to some kid or something.
Thanks for the vise suggestions. I will check those out. I have heard good things about that barracuda and the renzetti.
Time for me to go rotary. The regal served me well. It is only small hooks #12-22 that go flying out. But that's what I tie..:p

I had a Regal for years and did experience the same problems you have been having. I saved the vice to pass on to a beginning tier, who has used it for another 15 years...but she is tying mostly bass bugs so no flying hooks for her.

You said you were thinking of a rotary vise. Recommend you do so. I won't advise of make or model except to say that I tie on both a Dyna King Barracuda and a Nor Vise...both are amazing and completely different. I haven't any real favorites. Renzetti is another well made vise. The advantages to having a rotary, once you learn to tie on it and utilize all the favorable things it can do for you, you will never go back. There's a lot of hype but see if you can try one out and then make a decision on what suits you best. What's great for me may be the pits for you.........nuff said.

Darian
02-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Not trying to be funny here but if I were you, I think I would save myself a lot of indigestion and just go get a new vice of your choice. From what you've said, it sounds like you're setting yourself up for disappointment by checking with regal. Undoubtedly there'll be charges of some sort that will make you unhappy. You've had two decades of good use out of your current one.

Be happy with that and move on.... :D

1flyfisher
02-20-2011, 03:32 PM
The Regal is done for hooks for trout. It isn't worth putting any money into and it appears regal wants $40 for shipping.

I am looking for a new rotary vise.
ANy suggestions?

Darian
02-21-2011, 12:43 AM
well,.... You just had 20 years of good use from a Regal. You could get a new one with midge jaws.... :confused:

I'm currently using a Dyna King (DK) Barracuda Junior for some of my tying and a Regal for the rest. I like them both but for different reasons. The Regal really holds on to the larger hooks that I tie on but isn't a true rotary for what that's worth. The DK vice is a true rotary But isn't as easily used for larger hooks and requires some adjustment to accommodate them. The Regal doesn't require adjustment. Both vices are very strong. :cool:

The main complaint I have about the regal is that it's sometimes difficult to squeeze the lever as my hands are becoming arthritic. Not as much of a problem with the DK vice. :|

Haven't had enough experience with other brands/types but others will undoubtedly chip in with some good suggestions. :D

Mr T
02-21-2011, 06:32 AM
I realy like my Renzetti Traveler. Had it for a long long time and it's just takes whatever I throw at it. Price point is pretty good too!

Hector Lopez
02-22-2011, 12:00 PM
1flyfisher, I would send it in and get a midge jaw put in if you are only paying $40.00! I have just a standard Regal with no rotation for about 15 years and I only have one slight chip from tying a size 20. It flung in the air and I never found it. The placement is important as you get into the midges unless you have the pointed midge jaws and thats what I'm looking really soon. I also mostly fish for trout and like tieing small so I probably got the wrong vise for my use but I'm not sure when the midge jaws came about. If you do go a rotary vise let us members know what you think of it. Good luck, Hector:fish:

1flyfisher
02-22-2011, 12:01 PM
I was looking at the Dyna King Barracuda and the Renzetti Traveler the other day. I am not sure if I want to drop the additional $$$ on the Dyna King....only because I have a lot of other areas my $$$ needs to go right now.

Both look like very good rotary vises. Anyone have these and what are the pro's and con's of each?

The Barracuda looks really solid and beefy. The renzetti I am not sure about that little screw on the jaws.
Is it easy and QUICK to load a hook into these vises? The regal is nice and quick that way.

ANy thoughts and opinions welcome.

Darian
02-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Actually, they're both very good vices and either would serve you well. I don't have a Renzetti but consider it similar to the Dyna King in most features. The important exception for me was the cam closer/release for the jaws. Also, the collet adjustment of the jaws to accommodate a wide range of hooks. The button you referred to doesn't seem to be much of an issue unless you're tying in volumes. Altho the Dyna King appears to be of stronger construction, the Renzetti should be strong enough to meet your needs. Plus, it's less expensive.... :D

JD
02-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Both good vises but both considerably more than just replacing the jaws on the Regal. Note, if you are tying big saltwater patterns, you would have best luck with the Regal, Dyna-king, or saltwater version of the Traveller.

If you need a new vise, just say so. There really is no need to criticize Regal when their warranty policy is pretty much industry standard.

amoeba
02-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I use a regal for the reason you state (quickly removing/placing flies/hooks in/out of jaws):

The hooks do ping out of this type of vice occasionally. It is annoying and I do not know what causes it - since it can happen on unchipped jaws; maybe you got something greasy on the jaw surface (e.g., Jimboys). Anyway, I'd try some degreasing agent on it.

Jay Murakoshi
02-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I had a regal many moons ago. Actually, I have an "original" regal. Does anyone know what an original regal is? I'll give you the answer but first want to see some answers. I know some of you might know since I've mentioned it a few times

Take a shot

Jay

Mike O
02-23-2011, 01:36 AM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/horsesho/Regal.jpg

Like this?

Jay Murakoshi
02-23-2011, 09:30 AM
That's the newer version. Remember an original or I'll rephrase it. A proto type. Still wish I had it, gave it away.

I'll give you the answer later this afternoon.

Jay

1flyfisher
02-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I could use a new rotary vise, I have been saying so. And I will criticize any company that tries to charge me $40 for shipping. Are they going to pay for my shipping costs? And where does it cost $40 to ship something that small in the continental U.S.? FedEx? Ups? U.S. Mail? costs $40 to ship a vise? I don't think so.
I'll just put that $40 they want to bilk me for shipping into a better new rotary vise and toss the regal to some kid.

If you need a new vise, just say so. There really is no need to criticize Regal when their warranty policy is pretty much industry standard.

1flyfisher
02-23-2011, 11:27 AM
There isn't any grease on the jaws. They have just worn out over the years. The hooks flying out started a little over a year ago. It has gotten progressively worse. I have noticed the inner portion of the jaws are no longer smooth, they have chipped.
Also I forgot to add. The jaws no longer hold the hooks firmly (lol aside from flying away) the hooks will move around up and down when I apply pressure with heavy thread on woolly buggers and slightly bigger bugs and hooks.

I use a regal for the reason you state (quickly removing/placing flies/hooks in/out of jaws):

The hooks do ping out of this type of vice occasionally. It is annoying and I do not know what causes it - since it can happen on unchipped jaws; maybe you got something greasy on the jaw surface (e.g., Jimboys). Anyway, I'd try some degreasing agent on it.

JD
02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I could use a rotary vise. I will criticize any company that tries to charge me $40-50+ for shipping. Are they going to pay for my shipping costs?

They are not charging you just for shipping. They are charging you shipping and a new set of jaws. From your description, sounds like you got years of good service from the vise. The fact that the jaws wore out is not a manufacturing defect, it is a function of use. With few exceptions (possibly none), every vise manufacturer will fix a manufacturing defect for free. Wear is the responsibility of the owner, and often repaired at a modest cost. Fly fishing has some very odd expectations of what warranties cover, probably due in no small part I'd guess to the naivete of the manufacturers when this craze first started.

Regardless, look at the warranties for all of the other vise manufactures these days. You will find that Regal's policy is not only in line with the rest, they are actually more generous than the rest of the manufacturers you are considering.

Hairstacker
02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
They are not charging you just for shipping. They are charging you shipping and a new set of jaws. From your description, sounds like you got years of good service from the vise. The fact that the jaws wore out is not a manufacturing defect, it is a function of use. With few exceptions (possibly none), every vise manufacturer will fix a manufacturing defect for free. Wear is the responsibility of the owner, and often repaired at a modest cost. Fly fishing has some very odd expectations of what warranties cover, probably due in no small part I'd guess to the naivete of the manufacturers when this craze first started.

Regardless, look at the warranties for all of the other vise manufactures these days. You will find that Regal's policy is not only in line with the rest, they are actually more generous than the rest of the manufacturers you are considering.

With that said, I believe both Norvis and HMH will freely replace a set of jaws that have been worn out. In fact, HMH used to have an anecdotal story on its website where a commercial fly tyer had worn out a set of jaws after many tens of thousands of flies -- HMH proudly stated it had happily replaced the jaws for free. I believe they would have done so in this case, although you almost never hear of anyone wearing out a set of HMH vise jaws. Unfortunately, they do not offer a "true" rotary vise, although there are some who are effectively using them in that mode by setting the jaws in a horizontal plane when tying.

1flyfisher
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
I am not concerned with what any other vise manufacturers are doing today. It is irrelevant. If when I bought the product I bought and paid for a "Lifetime Warranty" that didn't include having to pay $40 for shipping than I have a problem with any manufacturer now changing the terms of that contract and trying to ding me for additional $$$. If I bought the vise today and those are the terms I agreed to then I have no issue with $40 or whatever for shipping as those would be the terms I agreed to. Also according to the website the $40 isn't for new jaws, It is for shipping and handling. The jaws are supposed to be warranted for life and that includes wearing out do to use.
Either way it isn't worth putting more money into and I'd rather put the money into a new and better rotary vise.
Dana King Barracuda and the Renzetti Traveler is what I have narrowed it down to.
But I'll consider anything.....I have really no idea about vises.
Any rotary vise suggestions appreciated.

Darian
02-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Mike,.... Is "Norvis" a new brand :question: Never heard of them before.... :p :p

Hairstacker
02-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Mike,.... Is "Norvis" a new brand :question: Never heard of them before.... :p :p

You never heard of it before? Really? Then again, I noticed many folks, including Norm Norlander (company owner), spell it "Nor-Vise" for some reason. :D

Mike O
02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
And here I thought Orvis was getting a little to close to a patent-infringement lawsuit.

NVswitch
02-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi 1flyfisher. From one reno flytyer to another. I also have a regal vise that i have had for years and started noticing the same type of problem with small fly hooks (eighteen). Yes there appears to be some chipping on the jaws and I do not know if and when that occurred and how much of it is my error or the design flaw. I also considered buying midge jaws or the new stainless steel jaws. I really like my regal vise for large flies, steelhead, saltwater etc. but always felt it a little bulky for trout size flies. I looked around at other vises and then purchased a Renzetti Cam 2000. My plan was and is to use the Regal for the bigger flies and the Renzetti for the trout stuff. I have been very happy with the Renzetti. I tied up a bunch of 18 - 22 midges for this summer and found the jaws to hold the hooks extremely well and leave me plenty of room to comfortably move around the fly. i am completely satisfied with the choice of new vise and the plans for them. Hope this helps some. Mike

1flyfisher
02-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Question:
On the Dynaking Barracuda or the Renzetti Traveler.....You can SET/Adjust the JAWS to a desired hook siZe correct?
I mean if I am going to tie several dozen of a specific size hook (say #20) I can adjust/set the vise so that I can just pop the same size hook right in and just flip the lever and the hook is held solid? Right?
I mean I don't have to adjust anything everytime I put the same size hook in do I?

Also....how the hell do you tie with that bobbin thing sticking out?
Why not just let the bobbin hang down, how does that stick make life better?

I went into cabela's and no one there was able to accurately demonstrate either the renzetti Traveler or the Dynaking.
I went to Scheel's and the dude there had no clue what a vise was.
I fiddled with both but really wasn't able to clearly see the functionality of either vise and how they work.
I could have gone into the reno fly SHop and one of the jamokes there could have explained everything about how either vise works in about 5 minutes and demonstrate the features and functionality of either vise and I would have been able to figure out which i liked better in 10 minutes. I also could have spent as much time as I needed tying on each vise in the back room.
Very sad little 1flyfisher.

Fats
02-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Question:
On the Dynaking Barracuda or the Renzetti Traveler.....You can SET/Adjust the JAWS to a desired hook siZe correct?
I mean if I am going to tie several dozen of a specific size hook (say #20) I can adjust/set the vise so that I can just pop the hook right in and just flip the lever and the hook is held solid?
I mean I don't have to adjust anything everytime I put a hook in do I?

Also....how the hell do you tie with that bobbin thing sticking out?
Why not just let the bobbin hang down?

The Bobbing cradle moves out of the way very easily if you need the room. You need the cradle if you want to tie with the rotary function (winding on materials)

Once you get the jaws set, you don't need to be re-adusting everything each time you put the hook in the jaws.

I've got a pair of travelers that I've been tying on since the early 1990's. I love the vice and an not often tempted to upgrade. I've tied flies ranging from 28's to 8/0's and never had any issues.

Darian
02-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Not to contradict Fats but using any vice and/or features involves choices based on personal tying styles. Using a bobbin cradle may not be a "need". For example, I've never used the cradle that came with my Dyna King for the 18 months that I've had it whether using rotary function or not. Actually, I removed it from the base and see no need to use it. Some day I might but not for now.

The point of this is, don't get locked into whether you have to have a particular feature or other extra unless you really see a need for it. You can always add one later. 8)

Ed Wahl
02-26-2011, 11:00 PM
1fly, it's pretty obvious to all of us and I suspect to you also. Go to the Reno Fly Shop and try 'em all out.

The advice you get will be invaluable.

This is where flyshops excel.

Ed

Cmcculloch
02-27-2011, 12:52 AM
It was reported here that the Reno Fly Shop closed in December.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21712

Ed Wahl
02-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Yow that's right.

I just take access to fly shops for granted.

Let us know what you end up with 1flyfisher, I'm using a Regal also. I've sent small hooks off into the ether but no chips yet.
Ed

1flyfisher
02-27-2011, 08:09 PM
The reno Flyshop is no more. Yes it's obvious and suspect to me.

That is why I posted this 2 posts right above,

"""I went into cabela's and no one there was able to accurately demonstrate either the renzetti Traveler or the Dynaking.
I went to Scheel's and the dude there had no clue what a vise was.
I fiddled with both but really wasn't able to clearly see the functionality of either vise and how they work.
I could have gone into the reno fly SHop and one of the jamokes there could have explained everything about how either vise works in about 5 minutes and demonstrate the features and functionality of either vise and I would have been able to figure out which i liked better in 10 minutes. I also could have spent as much time as I needed tying on each vise in the back room. """""

1fly, it's pretty obvious to all of us and I suspect to you also. Go to the Reno Fly Shop and try 'em all out.

The advice you get will be invaluable.

This is where flyshops excel.

Ed

1flyfisher
02-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Now i see how that bobbin cradle works. You just have to swing it out of the way when you don't need it.
I am not saavy on rotary vises but now I get how that works.
I tie and rotate/WRAP with my hand but i can get it how a rotary works.
very cool.
Thanks folks for the info....
Looks like either the barracuda or the traveler would work nicely.

also....I went back to Cabela's(this sat) but no one there again knew how to use either vice and how to set the jaws. The Traveler they had was broken. When I tried to rotate it the vice fell over and on the barracuda the jaws would not hold a 1/0 hook without moving around.

The Bobbing cradle moves out of the way very easily if you need the room. You need the cradle if you want to tie with the rotary function (winding on materials)

Once you get the jaws set, you don't need to be re-adusting everything each time you put the hook in the jaws.

I've got a pair of travelers that I've been tying on since the early 1990's. I love the vice and an not often tempted to upgrade. I've tied flies ranging from 28's to 8/0's and never had any issues.

jbird
02-27-2011, 08:42 PM
You can learn almost anything here...

http://www.youtube.com/

1flyfisher
02-27-2011, 08:44 PM
What? About Justin Bieber?....

You can learn almost anything here...

http://www.youtube.com/

Hairstacker
02-27-2011, 09:09 PM

1flyfisher, why would you react like that? Fact of the matter, Jay is right, if you go on Youtube.com and type in "Rotary Vise Techniques," you will see some very good, clear videos on the techniques used to advantage on a "true" rotary vise, including why a bobbin cradle is useful for such techniques.

If you don't plan on taking advantage of "true" rotary, you might re-consider going with a conventional rotary vise, like an HMH, which may be more comfortable from the standpoint of hand placement.

Ed Wahl
02-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Easy there Mike, tongue in cheek stuff I'm sure. And pretty funny too.

Truth be told, I was wondering about those bobbin holder things myself.

When's the warm weather gettin here anyway? I gotta whole new supply of 8wt craws done. Dead Drift crayfish is next, then on to other things.

Tired of winter.

Ed

Hairstacker
02-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Oh . . . , did I just blow it? Sorry 'bout that. :)

jbird
02-27-2011, 09:51 PM

Who? Is he a fly tier?

I got the feeling from your general tone thrughout this hole thread that you will never be satisfied. Good luck to you.

Hairstacker
02-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Who? Is he a fly tier?

Too funny Jay! :lol:

Darian
02-27-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm with you Jay. Too much effort for an easy decision.... :-|

jbird
02-28-2011, 08:03 AM
As for the thread cradle, it takes a bit of getting used to but once you learn to use it, its indispensable. I use it on almost every fly I tie.

Steve Potter
02-28-2011, 10:09 AM
I looked down at the Tiers Row at the Pleasanton Fly Fishing Show and observed alot of Regal vises. There were a like number of NorVises. with Dyna King and others sprinkled in.
These guys that operate these devices, tie alot of flies and are more than fair at their trade. My two cents is go to the shows and ask the guys that design and tie flies in large
numbers for their opinions.
I believe there will be a show at Bill's shop in April that should be a good place to start.
Steve

1flyfisher
02-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Lol... react like what? Lighten up guy. Ever heard of a joke?

Somebody above already answered my question on the jaws/bobbin. The bobbin cradle swings away...question answered. But I still need to actually use the jaws.

At this point I am just trying to figure out which vise I want ....not rotary vise techniques...... Unless either vise would operate differently in the rotary function?????

Bottomline...I need to go to a flyshop and have someone show me how the jaws work and then to pop a few hooks in and out myself to see which I like better. I have to actually use the vise before I drop $200 or $400.

1flyfisher, why would you react like that? Fact of the matter, Jay is right, if you go on Youtube.com and type in "Rotary Vise Techniques," you will see some very good, clear videos on the techniques used to advantage on a "true" rotary vise, including why a bobbin cradle is useful for such techniques.

If you don't plan on taking advantage of "true" rotary, you might re-consider going with a conventional rotary vise, like an HMH, which may be more comfortable from the standpoint of hand placement.

1flyfisher
02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
LOL....Really?
Don't worry, I will be very satisfied with either the Traveler or the Baraccuda.

Who? Is he a fly tier?

I got the feeling from your general tone thrughout this hole thread that you will never be satisfied. Good luck to you.

1flyfisher
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
It's not too much effort for me. There are many many different vises out there and a whole lot to choose from and decide on. I have gotten some good suggestions on various models. There is roughly a $200 difference between the barracuda and the Traveler. So I am going to take as much time in making a decision before i buy as I need to as I will be using this vise for a long time to come. I have gotten some insightful answers to my questions. I may have more questions.

I'm with you Jay. Too much effort for an easy decision.... :-|

1flyfisher
02-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I will have to hit the road and get to sac. The local reno sporting goods stores were a complete flop. I couldn't get the baraccuda to lock down on the hooks correctly. I would tighten the jaws on the hook with the knob on the jaws but then you couldn't flip the little toggle stick. I think it may have been broken and the dude working there said they often get defective vises for the cabinets/displays. The traveler was missing a set screw that I believe adjusts the tension on the rotation. The screw was missing and with it missing you'd figure it would rotate freely and easily but it would not. There are also two other knobs on the back of the vise which were locked down and unable to be adjusted. I couldn't even get to turn either one which I believe added tension also to the rotation. SO I am sure that one was defective and I have no idea how the vise adjusts and works due to the fact both vises were screwed up. SO that just left me no closer to figuring out which I would like better.
I think I will try Mountain Hardware in Truckee....I'll give em a call and see if they have either vise and if there is anyone there that knows how to use one. If not...I am off to sac.

I could see how a Regal would be a bit nicer for a flytying demo as guys doing that often tie all sorts of different size flies and you can just pop a hook right into the regal. I usually tie a few dozen in one size so that won't be too much of an issue.
I looked down at the Tiers Row at the Pleasanton Fly Fishing Show and observed alot of Regal vises. There were a like number of NorVises. with Dyna King and others sprinkled in.
These guys that operate these devices, tie alot of flies and are more than fair at their trade. My two cents is go to the shows and ask the guys that design and tie flies in large
numbers for their opinions.
I believe there will be a show at Bill's shop in April that should be a good place to start.
Steve

Darian
02-28-2011, 03:18 PM
1flyfisher,.... Unless you're absolutely determined to drive to Sacramento, try contacting a fly fishing club in your area. Someone in the club will probably have one or both of the vises you want to demo. Check out this website:

http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/stpr_clubs.cfm?c=US&st=NV

Another option might be to go to one of the fly shops between here (Sacramento) and Reno. There's Andy Burks shop and at least one other that I'm aware of.

1flyfisher
02-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Eh, If I gotta I gotta(go to sac). I will try a flyfishing club, in my area and see if they have any tying nights going on.
I think Andy closed down his shop. But I will check. If not maybe Mountain hardware has these vices and they aren't broken. I gained NOTHING fro my TWO visits to cabela's. LOL
I am very undecided as one is quite a bit more than the other.
ANyway I will get it figured out eventually. I have some time as all I am tying right now is larger bugs for Pyramid and the regal won't spit those out across the room to be forever lost in the carpet like the size #16 and under.
I would like to get a new rotary up and running before April early may so I have some time.
Both the baraccuda and traveler look pretty damn sweet.

1flyfisher,.... Unless you're absolutely determined to drive to Sacramento, try contacting a fly fishing club in your area. Someone in the club will probably have one or both of the vises you want to demo. Check out this website:

Another option might be to go to one of the fly shops between here (Sacramento) and Reno. There's Andy Burks shop and at least one other that I'm aware of.

1flyfisher
02-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Mountain harware does not carry the renzetti and they do not have a baraccuda, it will be a few weeks before they get aqnother one.

I called the dude from the truckee RIver FLyfishers in reno. He has the renzetti Traveler. He will let me try his out. SO now I Am making some progress here. I definitely need to fiddle around with a non defective vise and see how I like them, one vs the other.

I guess at this point I am trying to figure out if the Baraccuda is worth the extra dough$$$$$$.

jbird
02-28-2011, 05:06 PM
This should help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z5-P9v3F8w

1flyfisher
03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
My buddy has a barracuda and is on his way up for some pyramid. I'll tie some minnows and see how i like the jaws, i'll demo that one and then the traveler next.
I am definitely looking forward to rotary features. Long over due.

troutfly
03-05-2011, 08:29 AM
I replaced the jaws of my Regal vice last year. I had the same problem, chiped jaws. I contacted Regal, sent the jaws in with a check for $40, and got a brand new replacement. Easy to do, and easy people to work with. No hassles. Only costs a few $ to mail it to them.