PDA

View Full Version : Five Dot Reservoir

Frank Gonsalves
02-18-2011, 09:05 AM
does anyone know if you can still fish five dot near susanville?

OceanSunfish
02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey, I fished 5-Dot way back in 1998

Not sure how current the info is...

MERGANSER OUTFITTERS
P.O. Box 45
Chico, CA 95927-0045
Phone/Fax (530)343-4071

or

Neveda City Anglers 530-478-9301

Let us know what you find out....

MSWNCity
02-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Last I heard 5 Dot was being booked by the Reno Fly Shop. Merganser has not been involved for some time now. It was a wonderful place years ago but I heard that the fishing had declined. The fish were not naturally reproducing and the lake required annual stocking to fish well. I believe they were a cross between an Eagle Lake trout and a Mad River steelhead. I don't know if that is even possible but that was the rumor. Let us know what you discover.

OceanSunfish
02-19-2011, 10:50 AM
I thought the fish in 5-Dot were "Donaldson" strain trout which I believe are the same stran of fish that are grown and put into Amador. Nevertheless, the trout were very strong and heavy.

betty
02-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Last several years, 5-dot has become a "members only" kind of place. Not sure how it all works or who to contact. FlyTyer in Reno who posts on this board may know the answer to this. Merganser hasn't been involved for many years. Think fishery did decline for a few years, but heard it is coming back.
Betty

Charlie S
02-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Fished it last September. Member only as far as I know...I was a guest. Fishing was fair to good but I wasn't impressed and it didn't live up to the press it had gotten in past years, at least in my opinion.

Reno Flytyer
02-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Five Dot is a members only catch and release reservoir. There are four separate groups who have scheduled access to this fishery. The reservoir was booked by the now OOB Reno Fly Shop some years ago, but for the past seven or eight years, has been managed by the owner Tom Swickert. Charlie S. would have caught more fish last year if he'd parked next to "Sanger Dave" who caught 3 dozen big strong fish on Day One of the recent guests gathering...just sayin'.
RFT

Charlie S
02-20-2011, 03:01 PM
FTIR...you know damn well Dave had soaked his flies in power bait.....something I only occasionally stoop to do......LOL

Reno Flytyer
02-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Good on ya Charlie...now the secret's out. :-(
RFT

Frank Gonsalves
02-22-2011, 09:54 AM
since 5 dot is now out of the question, does any know of any similar private lakes?

Bull_Dog
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Frank,

You can book 5-Dot on a day to day basis but it is expensive. The owner holds back some days every year for this purpose. The groups can only go Wednesday thru Sunday. Monday and Tuesday are rest days that the owner has the right to book to individuals.

We still run our guide service and our two private ranches, Lassen Meadows Ranch and Smith Creek Ranch. You can go to our website and check them out. www.renoflyshop.com - the shop is closed but we are still kicking out guide trips and those two fisheries.

I am not sure how to get in touch with Tom the owner of 5-dot.

Rob Anderson
Reno Fly Shop
Truckee River Outfitters
rob_renoflyshop@sbcglobal.net

Woodman
02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Anyone know the status of Sawmill Lake above Truckee. Still open? Still good? Who books it?