PDA

View Full Version : Switch Rod Sink Tips Question

Bruce Berman
02-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I just started using my 7 wt. 11 foot Sage Z-Axis, both as a spey (I'm not very good at it but I'm trying) and as a 2-handed overhead casting rod. I'm using a Rio Skagit Shorts 425 grain line. Assuming I'm hitting water that is flowing 4 mph (as fast as an average man walks and prime steelhead flows), what length and sink rate tip would you start out with? I have a buddy who uses 10 feet of T-14 religiously, but I think there must be a better way to figure things out that's not too complicated. I have lengths of T-14, LC-13 and various 10 foot poly leaders.
For aguments sake, lets say I'm not throwing a weighted fly.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
That line should throw most anything you put on the end of it.

I use the Rio Skagit Short (20') 375 grain on my 12'6" #5 Spey rod and it works well with 10' of T-11 and a medium size cone head string leech.

Your leader only needs to be about 4 feet of total mono with those fast tips.

I would buy a set of Medium size (T-11) MOW tips or buy a few MOW tips for that short (20') Skagit head.

Get a '5/5' MOW Medium tip (5' floating & 5 ' T-11) which has loops on both ends.

You can get a 10' floating MOW tip too.

The new Rio MOW tips are for using on Skagits heads.

Be sure to get out with someone who can give you some direction.

shawn kempkes
02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Bruce

I have that rod . I also use a 525 grain skagit flight head on it. while the 425 loads that rod and cast well with light tips it doesnt turn over t-14 worth a dam. If you are going to stick with that head put 10ft of t-8 or t-11 and it should fly. The poly leaders are useless in the heavier flows in the winter.

jayclarkflyfishing
02-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Bruce-
I've cast yer rod and it cast fine with 10' of t-14.I carry t-14 in 7',10',12', and 15' lengths and have been using the 10' length mostly.I have found it cast well,turns over the big flies(such as intruders) and covers most situations that I come across.The Mow tips are an interesting concept, but for $150 retail(for the kit) it is too expensive a system for me.

I have bought into an idea put forth by Ed Ward on Spey Pages that basically says simplify.Learn a simple system,such as using 10' t-14, use a couple of proven patterns and learn the river one fishes well at all flows.And lastly fish with confidence.

Keep fishing yer switch rod and the only way to get better casting it is too practice,practice,practice!!

Jay

Bruce Slightom
02-14-2011, 07:45 AM
I have that rod and with heavy tips I like the Rio Short at 475 grains, I use the 425 with lighter tips and smaller flies. For me the rod cast best with 10 feet of T-14 but 12.5 feet is no problem. The heaver tips,T-14. help turn over bigger flies.

I carry tips in 2.5', 5', 7.5'. 10'. 12.5' and 15'.

If you feel that you are not getting down try putting a little slack in the line on the cast by pulling back a little before the line hits the water and keeping the rod tip high. As the line moves down stream drop the rod tip to the water in a slow controlled manner. Also you can take your steps down stream after the cast will also help in getting the fly deeper.

Bruce Berman
02-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Thanks, guys. Your answers really help.