PDA

View Full Version : Large lower elevation reservoirs and lakes.........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-12-2011, 10:49 PM
................are not fly fished near enough.

Was visiting with Nick Buckmaster tonight and he has been catching Land Locked King Salmon in Lake Berryessa this winter, from the shore with Zonkers.

He says many of the big reservoirs have had King Salmon planted in them and some are spawning in the large tributaries above the lakes.

He said that they have not planted Kings in Folsom Lake sense 1996 but they are spawning up in some of the forks of the American River above the lake now.

He has also been catching Mackinaw (Lake Trout) in Donner Lake this winter too.

Nick says that in the winter the trout and salmon in these lakes are very near the surface and near the shores too.

In the spring and fall the bass are up near the shore in the shallows too.

Mid-summer is usually not good in the low elevation deeper reservoirs.

Some years ago more fly fishers use to fish these big valley reservoirs.

Spring for bass up spawning in the shallows and fall for the Thread-fin shad activity on top.

There are hundreds of these lakes in Nor Cal:

Berryessa, Folsom, Oroville, Shasta, Pardee, Camanche, Amador, New Melones, Merle Collins, Jenkins Lake, and Camp Far West, to name a few.

drumznfishes
02-13-2011, 08:24 AM
A nice suggestion for the annual Shack Nasties!:)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Hello 'drumznfishes'

How is your weather over there this winter?

drumznfishes
02-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Hello Bill,

Weather has been fairly harsh (-35 ) 2 weeks ago to mild (+40) today. Still along ways off for stillwater fishing. I'm headed to Pyramid during Spring Break
the first week of April. Hanging tough with the Shack Nasties till then. :rolleyes:
We've gotten enough snow this winter for the area I fish, which is actually the West Yellowstone/Island Park area, to be confident in water levels. The skiiers could use fresh stuff I guess. But water wise, up here were good this year.

ed