PDA

View Full Version : Tamarindo Costa Rica Info

Jaybinder
02-11-2011, 11:17 AM
The family and I are going to Tamarindo in early July. This will mainly be a surfing trip but if the waves are small I need a back up plan. Can you guys recomend any FFing guides in the area? I have zero time fishing salt water so a good teacher is a must. I would love to catch a rooster on the fly.

Any tips or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Jason

Steve Dinardi
02-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Jason, a few years ago I spent a week in Tamarindo in the month of Feb. There was some decent action in the surf right in front of the big hotel early in the morning for smallish amberjacks that were boiling on the surface. Would be fun on a six weitht rod. The local guys throwing hand lines caught a few in the 10 lb range. Split a charter with a guy from California that I met while there and we caught several very nice wahoo trolling gear and one small tuna trolling flies. Also had a huge marlin crash the baits and actually break the line after several spectacular jumps. That was worth the trip just to see that. The young captain really knew the area but alas was not too fond of fly fishing. I do not remember his name but he had a 25 foot Mako with twin outboards. It actually was pretty fun with the wahoos. I do not think we could have landed any of those with fly gear, especially with the set of teeth they have! There seemed to be plenty of fish around, just have to find the right guy to lead you into them. During that same trip, we also spent a week down the coast a ways at a little place called Samara. Just around the corner was Playa Carrillo. There was some very decent action on larger jacks and even had a few shots at good sized roosterfish that showed up out of nowhere. This was fishing the north end of the beach in the surf with fly gear. Lots of bait near shore seemed to be the key. Anyway, I hope someone can add some more info for you. Oh, Tamarindo is/was a surfer type town and very laid back. The scenery on the beach was very nice indeed! Also, the wind can blow there pretty good at times but may not be so bad in July. Enjoy your trip.

JasonB
02-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Sorry that I have no fishing input, but Steve mentioned Samara which I thought you might want to also put on the list of potential surf spots. Not so much Samara proper, but slightly north was a great break the last time I was down there (if my foggy memory serves correct, I'm pretty sure it was called Playa Nosara).
Good Luck,
JB

Steve Dinardi
02-12-2011, 09:38 AM
If my foggy memory serves me correctly, Playa Nosara is located just N. of Tamarindo. A beautiful spot on a white sand beach and very few people. Also, there are also some very seculded small beaches just S. of Samara. The local drivers know where they are all located and will drop you off and pick you up.

Steve

JasonB
02-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Steve, the break I was thinking of was just a couple of K's north of Samara... I thought it was Playa Nosara, but perhaps I've forgotten what little I remembered... wait, I forgot, where were we again? Could be off on the name, but a map would fix that issue quite easily, look about 5 or so kilometers north of Playa Samara.
Pura Vida,
JB

Jaybinder
02-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you for the feed back. This trip is going to be great.

Skagit Fly Guy
04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I was there spin cast fishing a few years back. I did not bring my fly gear because of this was a vacation trip not fishing trip. I borrowed gear from the maintenance many. whew . Just remember to have a lifejacket hanging off your swim suit or nylon belt. The surf is crazy powerful and very rarely a tourist gets swept off their feet and carried out with the undertow. I know it looks weird fishing with something hanging besides your but no one will laugh when you swim back with fish on your line .

VinceB
04-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Here is some more mostly non fly fishing info

Try to fly into Liberia--much closer than San Jose and they have really improved the road.

I flyfished from the shorebreak and caught some local fish I can't name with Clousers. Fished between Marriott-Hacienda Panilla to the estuary just south of town.

Good beach bar-restaurant about a mile south of Hacienda Panilla.

you will have a great time

Jaybinder
04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info on Liberia. That looks like a much better option.

This will be the first time I've flown with a surfboard in 5 or 6 years. I am shocked at how much they want to charge me. It ranges from $150 to $250 EACH WAY!!! I know times are tough but come on thats rediculous. My other options are to rent or even buy somthing down there. Have any of you guys ever been charged to fly with your fly gear? I usualy just carry my rod on to the plane. Anyone ever been forced to check your gear?

Ned Morris
04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
There are tons of awesome pox & fiberglass boards for rent as little as $40 a week and most are brand new. Mal Pais was loaded with shops with boards for rent from mostly American ex-pats. Also, I would seriously consider fishing freshwater in Costa Rica. I hit Lake Arenal on my Honeymoon 6 years ago and nailed a dozen Rainbow Bass (Guapote) on a variety of baitfish patterns with fish ranging from 4-8 lbs. It was a blast and they are damn good eating too. Not to mention I hit Upper Stretch of Rio Toro for transplanted Rainbows (Yes..there are Trout in Central America if you can believe it!). Tamarindo is awesome but bugs are a plenty there.