PDA

View Full Version : Long-Range Fly Fishing Trips

Richard Wright
02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Hello All!

Was just browsing through Trey Comb's "Bluewater Flyfishing," and he talks about Long-Range fly fishing trips that were being taken in the 90's. Apparently, these trips for long rodders were first begun by Steve Abel and left out of San Diego. Seems like the targeted species were tuna and other pelagics.

Is any outfit still doing these trips? And if so, who and where are they fishing? Anyone done one of these, and if so, what were your experiences?

Thanks,

Richard

ted1
02-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't have experience with this guide, but I really really want to do a mako trip.

http://www.ontheflyfishingcharter.com/

Tony Buzolich
02-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Ted,

I've done the trip with Dave Trimble and you'll have a fantastic time. My buddy took a 90lb. mako that was airbourne most of the time and I took a small blue on a 5 weight. I'm looking forward to booking another trip with him this summer.

But, Dave's shark fishing trip is nothing like the long range trip mentioned above. Steve Abel I think actually had a couple of long range trips a few years back. I believe the second left out of Cabo San Lucas. You could fly down to Cabo and then start your trip from there, or, leave with the boat out of San Diego and simply take a ride down until the trip really started.

I'd go in a heartbeat if there was another one like those, totally bluewater.
TONY

Larry S
02-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Don't know about the long range trips, but here are a number of guides that work
the near-offshore waters. The link that was given is obviously one. Also, google
Conrad Bowman, Peter Piconi, and the San Diego Fly Shop. I've heard of a long range
boat that caters to the fly rod, but. don't remember the link.
Good luck in your quest,
Larry S

Jay Murakoshi
02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Richard

I did one a number of years back. I'll email you

Jay

Darian
02-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Try this website:

http://www.hmlanding.com/bajatrip.htm

H & M Landing is one of the oldest proprietors in the San Diego area. They conduct long range (multi-day) trips to Guadalupe Island off Mexico for Billfish and large Yellowfin Tuna, etc. They are mainly bait oriented but I've seen some video where they accommodated fly fishing and if they don't want to, I'm sure they could direct you to an outfitter/charter captain who will work with fly fishers....

Gary R
02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Baja Sportfishing Inc. put together a package on the Erik,a 105' mothership towing 6 pangas out of Magdalena Bay to the Thetis Bank and several other high spots offshore. Six days lodging/fishing/food/drinks for $1350 plus tips. Very cost effective but the wahoo and marlin failed to show due to cold water. The Royal Polaris and Red Rooster III out of San Diego were right next to us on the Thetis Bank. We would anchor close to shore and the crew would pull anchor at 3 AM and head out to the high spots.

There were 9 of us flyfishing and two conventional anglers aboard. I don't think they are planning on doing Mag Bay next year as it costs them a lot to bring the boat from San Felipe around the tip and back up to Mag Bay. Their agent mentioned that they are trying to get the permits necessary to do some trips out of Cabo for fishing the East Cape and Cabo areas. If they do, I will sign up in a minute.

Look up bajasportfishinginc on google and you can contact them.