PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses Poll

Hatch
02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Money being no object what brand of sunglasses do you think are the best for fishing.

Costa Del Mar
Kaenon
Maui Jims
Oakley
Smith
other

Jay
02-08-2011, 04:05 PM
I've used a bunch of different brands over the years. Right now I use Costas and Oakleys pretty much interchangably. I think the lenses are better on the Costas but I look much more attractive in the Oakleys :D

aaron
02-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Used to be an Oakley guy, but the lens quality doesn't seem quite as good as it used to be. Been using Smith's, took a rock impact while climbing and they held. I really like their ignitor lenses, and other products as well.

pgw
02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Used Guideline (Fisherman's Eyeware Line) "Rogue" model for one prescription cycle (3 years) and believe that they were the best (retail) buy for the money,

Got a deal direct from Smith on my current pair (Padre with Rx) and the price for which I got them was slighty less than the retail cost of a new Guideline Rogue (with the new Rx)...so far so good.

Between 1984 and 2007, I went through 4 different pair of Outdoor Optics Rx glasses...started out locally in Napa, CA (thanks Doc Nasser) and ended up getting purchased by either Hobie or Smith.

Absent a "deal", that provides a cost savings, I'd go with the Guideline Rx lenses in the future...another reason to buy Rx lenses direct from Guideline is, they sent a pair of non-prescription glasses to their local retail fly shop (that I identified in the order) as compensation for making the direct sale to me.

Paul

aaron
02-08-2011, 04:43 PM
another reason to buy Rx lenses direct from Guideline is, they sent a pair of non-prescription glasses to their local retail fly shop (that I identified in the order) as compensation for making the direct sale to me.
Thanks for pointing this out Paul. Smith does the same.

mems
02-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Habervision, lots of styles to select from and good price point. Plus I rep for them and have a bunch that I use and love. Mems.

SHigSpeed
02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
I absolutely love my rose Mauis. They have a great rX lab too though spendy!!

_SHig

EricO
02-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I agree Mems. I like Habervision's...and the price is awesome
compared to other sunglasses I've looked at. Been wearing a
Habervision glass model for 4 years. I haven't tried their polycarbonate
versions yet, but I feel glass is tougher than poly.

Oh, and great customer service. I developed a crack in the bridge of mine after 1.5
years. Sent them back and asked they put my used lenses in a new frame and bill me.
They sent me a brand spanking new pair w/ new lenses. Quality company.

EO

windwalker
02-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Let me start this post by saying I have a pair of Maui Jims, which are awesome. What makes Maui Jims different than Costa's, Smith's, etc., is that instead of a coating of the stuff that makes them polarized, the whole lens is made of it (at least thats what the person who sold me my pair of mauis told me :) So, Maui's will last you a lot longer, since the Smith's et al. of the world will eventually scratch and flake. Of course, this may or may not occur based upon how much/rough you use them.

WIth that said, my Maui's, which were a gift, I think ran something crazy like $300? (Maui does have however a cheaper line that is their "sports wear", they are super light, you can hardly feel them on, a lot of golfers use them). The one draw back with the maui jims, aside from the price, is they are not wrap around glasses, and I think wrap style glasses are better at cutting out the sun, in terms of seeing into the water. However, the other day at the river I tried on my buddy's smiths to compare, and the Mauis were "slightly" better in my opinion. I think what you get when you spend the extra money for mauis are more stylish glasses, good customer service, long lasting well made glasses, and a killer warranty.

Moving along.......Before I had my mauis, I had a pair of some type of cheaper glasses I bought from Kienes for around $40 bucks, I think the brand name started with "sun". While these glasses may have started to chip and ware over the last two years I've had them, I absolutely love them, and when I have compared them on the water with my mauis, another friends costas, etc., they seemed to cut through the water as good, if not better. So, for as much as most of us loose or break sun-glasses, some of the cheaper models they have at kienes are great. The only real downside I've found with the cheaper glasses is they tend to fog up a little easier than the more expensive ones.

malbers
02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I am on my second pair of Costas, due to fisherman error and a learning experience.

On a day in the delta with a big south wind I piled up my line on my back and my 2/0 klouser went in between my sunglasses and my eye, hooked my glasses and threw them off my face into the water. The learning experience and the fisherman error; "Wear your keepers", the costa booth at ISE gave me a free keeper so that doesn't happen again. Thank you for that.

For my second pair I got the same frame (Stringer, good for small size faces) in the 580 glass and they are awesome. All day wear and comfort without the feeling like your eyes are about to cross. The soft rubber inserts make them light and comfortable and the 580 glass is durable as could be. I will buy a another pair when I get the opportunity, in just a different color glass so I have all my bases covered.

AndyS
02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
If you want to be able to see through the water I have found no better lenses than those strapped to the front of my face when I'm wearing my Costas! It's an investment, much like the rest of the gear I won't compromise in my pursuit of fish on a fly, but it's worth it. Not that I needed convincing but on last year's Baja trip I had the opportunity to swap glasses with three of the Pongeros - guys who fish every day and rely on their sunglasses heavily. Needless to say, their "top rated" brands didn't stand up when they wore my Costas for 15 or 20 minutes. To a man they all wanted me to buy them glasses and bring them on this year's trip. I wish I could make that happen for them but that's a bit unrealistic, the point was made though, Costa Del Mar impressed guys who aren't easily impressed, especially by "ranchero."

jbird
02-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Habervision

SHigSpeed
02-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Couple more things about my Mauis:

They have a really slick hydrophobic coating on them so the water beads up and slides off. Like permanent Rain-X on a windshield. This rocks!

Add to that, my style (http://www.mauijim.com/kaimana-464.html) literally fits my face like a glove and suck all sun out from behind them (or so it seems) and completely eliminates off-axis glare.

Can't really ask for more.

_SHig

Darrin.Deel
02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUoV-NqruDc

I have been wearing Oakley Hijinx for two years now and I will never wear another pair of sunglasses.

FISHEYE
02-08-2011, 11:23 PM
I love HaberVision. The quality is excellent and comparable to all the big names, the service is great and the cost is 50% of what the big boys charge. Online sales only.

http://www.habervision.com/Default.aspx

Larry S
02-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Actually a brand of sunglasses out there called "Fish Eyes." I have a pair; very lightweight
and with magnifiers.
Larry S

MikeSBL
02-09-2011, 11:19 PM
More than 10 years using Costa Del Mar. Great glasses and excellent service if damaged. I have had to send back once for broken frame and once for damaged lens. Both times minimal cost to fix or replace.

mike@sacramentoboatinglounge.com

jcc
02-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I always thought my Maui Jim's where the hot setup for fishing... Until I tried a pair of Costas! That 580 technology is awesome! My Blackfins are really comfortable and the wrap around design blocks sunlight from the sides. Now I'm seeing fish my MJ's didn't let me see. I sound kinda like an ad, huh? Do you suppose I could get...? Oh, well. Really just need time to get out and use them...

blacklabdad
02-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Although the poll is over, I must include a vote for the Costas! While I am not yet a seasoned fly fisherman (some day), I do appreciate sunglasses and have had an assortment of them over the years. To date, my Costa's (Corbina with the 580 mirror glass) are hands down the BEST. My compliments to the maker as they were worth every penny. :D

1flyfisher
02-25-2011, 06:51 PM
I have a pair of Costa Del Mar Swordfish with the glass lenses. I got them pro form so I got 60% OFF which made it ok.
They are OK.
I had Action Optics Lost River with the Copper glass photochromatic lenses but I ;lost them.
I got a deal on the Costa's but I do not like them as much as the Actio0n Optics/Smiths Lost Rivers with the glass photochromatic copper lenses.