PDA

View Full Version : Abel $50.00 Nipper report from fly fishing guides!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2011, 09:35 AM
http://www.deneki.com/2011/02/abel-nippers/

Dan LeCount
02-07-2011, 12:49 PM
I think Ill spend my excess money in other ways. lol

-but Im sure theyre amazing nippers

JasonB
02-08-2011, 10:18 AM
I think Ill spend my excess money in other ways. lol

-but Im sure theyre amazing nippers

...if you're looking for other ways, you could also look at the "high end nippers" that go for $100, or the $300 pocket knife that they also sell? That would work out to $100 per inch!!! :eek:
I am sure that they MUST have some amazingly sharp durable edges on them. Still at those kinds of prices, that would add up to dozens of flies that I could donate to the river rocks and the bushes, which affords me at least an extra day or so of fishing...
JB

Bob Laskodi
02-08-2011, 12:17 PM
The marketing hype being perpetuated in the FF industry continues to amaze & amuse me to no end!!!!

Jed Peters
02-08-2011, 04:12 PM
They're just jewelry.

They work well, and they look purty. Period.

Mike O
02-08-2011, 05:12 PM
and how many of those who reviewed them had them comped? I have no prob with the nippers, just the INSANE price point.

Ralph
02-08-2011, 08:17 PM
I didn't get comped but my observation would be the same either way - they're crap. Lisa and I gave each other a pair for our anniversary (great minds think alike). They are gorgeous, however the accolades stop there. The jaws are held by micro screws that simply are not up to the task. I have used Loc-Tite and overwhelming screwdriver persuasion, but somehow the jaws still wriggle loose and develop a mis match or overbite. The return spring is a machining work of wonder but the tolerances are so close that grit cause the nips to grind on the rebound or simply lock up. Abel generally makes great stuff but these are a case of over engineering a mousetrap. I have gone back to my $6.00 nippers which have lasted years without a hiccup.

Woodman
02-08-2011, 11:13 PM
My teeth still work pretty well for everything less than 20# Maxima...and I always know where they are.

FISHEYE
02-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Ralph, if you are paying $6 for nippers you are paying too much. They probably cost $1.49 at Walmart or any other place.

Don Powell
02-09-2011, 07:40 PM
The only complaint I have about the above mentioned product is that it lasts far longer than the ~ 200 outings an item of gear is pre-determined to last according to current "production industry standards"...

I always "sport" the latest product but when it fails or falls off, I resort to simplicity- my nail-clippers. I am always amazed and quite pleased that my "back-up" device is far superior to the one marketed to "fly fishers"...

FlyReelFisher
02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Abel should focus on a reel thay dosent lock up then freespool as you drift between shade and sun in freezing temps.

The "Sharktooth" is a superior spool an line management product, and costs like $5. It will even cut through 30-50 pound plus braid with no problem...

1flyfisher
05-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Psychology and marketing is an interesting field of study.
Ridiculously Over charging for various items often stimulates buying. People think that they are obtaining something "Special" that will enhance their joy and happiness. Lots of psychological reasons for why people over pay or get ripped off. Goes back to the snake oil salesmen who understood product marketing. I believe PT Barnum said there is a sucker born every minute....
You can literally sell someone shit on a shingle by charging them a ridiculous price.

.....also....You don't have to get reamed by the FF industry. These days there are many outstanding rods and reels at "normal/not ridiculously over priced" prices. That is IF you can over come the psychological reasons you over spend for a ridiculously priced item. I recently saw an "OKUMA" fly reel for $59. It is a fine piece of machining and the drag is top notch. I did a stint as a defense contractor prototype machinist when I was 18-19 so I can spot quality machining. Nice little reel.

....Like the dude neo in the matrix my mind was set free by jon baiocchi when he turned me on to a $49 SA flyrod/reel combo. freakin rod casts.

I like my Sage 490-2LL but I just went through weeks of hassles trying to get them to honor their warranty and send me a new tip that I think I am strongly looking to go to rods like Echo or TFO or some other inexpensive quality rods. Plus the damn tip they sent me is a POS with globs of glue/resin thick all around the guides. It isn't even worth any more headaches to send it back since they jerked me around so much just trying to get it in the first place. On trout reels I never use the drag(except salt) as I am stripping the line in, that Okuma for $59 is plenty smooth. Trying to pick up line by reeling is too slow, I am often having to strip fast to keep fish out of weeds. I just set my drags so they don't backlash and I palm it anyway so a drag on a trout reel is rarely used. reel just stores the line. $59 can do that.

The marketing hype being perpetuated in the FF industry continues to amaze & amuse me to no end!!!!

Mik
05-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Holy Snippers!! Better be able to open a beer too at that cost.

Mike O
05-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Holy Snippers!! Better be able to open a beer too at that cost.

Nope...better BUY and FETCH the beer at that cost

Bob Laskodi
05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Nope, better brew, bottle, chill, and a hot chick serve it whilst naked at that price!!!

ted1
05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I am all for inexpensive stuff. I have used my $45 ross reel with click drag for 3 years for trout, striper, largemouth, and 5 days in Baja with no failures. It's mostly plastic, when I had a sierra on in Baja, the pitch was so high on the drag, I dont' think I could hear it anymore. Talk about cheap, I'm still using some nippers a friend gave me when I first started fishing, probably 5 years ago. And my float tube won't hold air so I just fill it up every time I go out. And I re-use flies until they fall off. And I don't want to pay full price for rods so I build them. And I don't want to pay for breathable waders so I wear my neoprenes in the summer and sweat my ass off. There. Done.

Mike O
05-16-2011, 06:52 PM
I am all for inexpensive stuff. I have used my $45 ross reel with click drag for 3 years for trout, striper, largemouth, and 5 days in Baja with no failures. It's mostly plastic, when I had a sierra on in Baja, the pitch was so high on the drag, I dont' think I could hear it anymore. Talk about cheap, I'm still using some nippers a friend gave me when I first started fishing, probably 5 years ago. And my float tube won't hold air so I just fill it up every time I go out. And I re-use flies until they fall off. And I don't want to pay full price for rods so I build them. And I don't want to pay for breathable waders so I wear my neoprenes in the summer and sweat my ass off. There. Done.

we must be brothers from another mother, ted