PDA

View Full Version : Early Spring Bass Flies

DFrink
02-04-2011, 08:14 AM
What patterns do you bass guys use in early spring to fish for large mouth in ponds and small lakes? I realize top action won't be going on a lot until temps come up so I thought I would ask. Do I need to get specialized, or will buggers and leaches work? Plan on attacking some local ponds soon with my son.

Dan

Scott V
02-04-2011, 08:45 AM
I use my little black wiggle tail that I tie up, I use the same fly for trout and bass. When something works I just go with it, send me your address and I will send you some. When I tie them up I usually do a bunch and I will be tying some this Sunday.

Hairstacker
02-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Leeches and especially buggers are good. I also like chartreuse/white Clousers and black Murray's Strymphs. Please let us know how you do and what worked for you. :)

DFrink
02-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I will let you know. It may be a bit early, but I'm itching to get out more. I used to bass fish a lot using gear. The nice thing about fishing ponds is I can load my son (20 months old) up in my back pack and take him with me on our Furlough Fridays together. He loves to be outside, especially if ducks and geese are involved. Streams are a little dangerous / tough to navigate with him (plus they aren't fishing great right now), and the float tube... the wife would kill me so I won't even say it.

Dan

Leeches and especially buggers are good. I also like chartreuse/white Clousers and black Murray's Strymphs. Please let us know how you do and what worked for you. :)

Hairstacker
02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, small kids in backpacks wouldn't work for me since I almost inevitably fall in at some point. :lol:

Icastnblast
02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
I would say anything subsurface that can be slow stripped over weed beds. Have at it and rip some lips!

Ed Wahl
02-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Dan, google "Autumn Splendor". It's basically a two toned 'bugger with rubber legs and a cone head.

Worked wonders in Cameron Park pond a few years back.

I should get off my arse and tie some up myself.

Ed

David Lee
02-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Dan, google "Autumn Splendor". It's basically a two toned 'bugger with rubber legs and a cone head.

Ed

Remember the #4 screamin' Chartruse Bugger I used back then ?? We surely cleaned house several trips in a row w/ those two !

D.~

DFrink
02-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Interesting looking pattern, looks easy to tie as well. Thanks Ed for the idea. I will post how I do in a couple of weeks...

Ed

Ed Wahl
02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I'd tie up some of those bright chartreuse 'buggers David reminded me of also. I took a whoopin when he broke those out.

Ed

DFrink
02-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Hiked to a couple of nice ponds last Friday. I didn't get the temp of the water but it still felt pretty cold. Didn't have any takes on the fly, and didn't see any fish moving around. Probably a little early, I'll be back again in a few weeks. Thanks to all for the fly suggestions. I ended up throwing buggers of various colors (decided to keep it simple) on an I line.

Dan