PDA

View Full Version : Teton Fly Reels?

davkrat
02-02-2011, 07:11 PM
What's the story? I know they were gone for a while now they came back with the Teton USA Classic. Cabelas says supply limited. All my rods have Teton Tiogas on them and I'm looking to get another for a 7 weight. Anyone got any suggestions for a similar quality real at that price? Or even better a 7 weight Tioga :)

caniretireyet?
02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
The original company, based in San Andreas CA. folded, and was apparently acquired by a new owner with a limited line up. I own several of these, and love them!

Steve

aaron
02-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Being made now by a company out of Ohio I think. No tiogas though, just classics.

davkrat
02-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks, the Cabelas page made it seem like they were on shaky ground again?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-02-2011, 10:49 PM
5 to 10 years ago the Teton "Tioga" series was really hot.

Now there is tons of competition in that price range so they are not such a deal anymore.

Companies like Ross, Waterworks, Redington, and Orvis have taken over the market for entry level fly reels.

Woodman
02-02-2011, 11:49 PM
What's the story? I know they were gone for a while now they came back with the Teton USA Classic. Cabelas says supply limited. All my rods have Teton Tiogas on them and I'm looking to get another for a 7 weight. Anyone got any suggestions for a similar quality real at that price? Or even better a 7 weight Tioga :)

Redington CDLs are discontinued, but there are still some on sale. I've seen new ones at $139 closeout. At this price they are a great deal.

Similarly Orvis Battenkill mid-arbors are in the same boat. Great reel, discontinued for a newer model.

If you don't have to have the latest, there are some great deals out there.

Look here at Bill's post on the Battenkills http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22374

Lincoln Gray
02-03-2011, 10:37 AM
The reels are being produce in or around Chicago. A friend (who is a fly fishing rep back there) and I were just discussing them. But they do not produce the Tioga anymore.

Randy Shelton
02-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Over the years I have collected several Teton reels. I have a Tioga 6 if that would work for you.

Randy

530 409 0655

BigKahuna
02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I really like the Ross CLA's as a mid priced reel with a good drag system. They are a no muss, no fuss reel, which is why I liked the Teton Tioga Reels. You can pick up a Ross CLA for under $200