PDA

View Full Version : shad flies, baitfish for trout

slage
01-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey guys,
Looking for shad imitations, not wet pinkies!
thanks.

Darian
01-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Because there's a ton of standard freshwater patterns available for the looking you're gonna get a bunch of suggestions. I'd recommend some salty patterns like Sea Habits (White Knight), Charlies Airhead (grey/white, olive/white, etc.) and the medium/small Pole Dancer (olive) for a surface pattern.

Just about any all white streamer pattern is a good Shad imitation. Check out the Shad patterns by Dave Whitlock among others.... :D

Jgoding
01-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Whitlock's sheep series gets my vote. If you want really big shad immitations though.... hard to say. I'm sure a big airhead will do fine although it lacks the vertical profile. The surftalk guys post some great patterns as well.

Dave E.
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
While not specific Threadfin patterns, I'll toss these into the mix.

In the arena of baitfish patterns that I've had the greatest success with over the years from the central valley lakes to the larger sierra lakes, a # 6 Pond Smelt ( Gray over White ) has taken more Trout & different species than the rest of my baitfish patterns combined.

Although landlocked Salmon seem to show a strong preference for the peacock over white flash tail. At times, usually in lightly stained or high algae boom areas, the chartreuse and white seems to draw more attention from Black Bass & Browns.

An inverted #6 Gray over Pearl - Bucktail Zonker is a pretty strong producer on a rising lake in the spring, that and the fact that it can make it's way through newly flooded grasses and willows with a little less trouble than down riding hook patterns.

The General Chow, in size 8 is another favorite for late spring through fall as a Y.O.T.Y pattern, especially along inlets, inside corners and rip rap.
These are also almost always used with a six weight outfit and type II or IV head and a eight to ten pound tippet.

In the book " Trout Flies of the West " by Schollmeyer & Leeson you'll find one of my old Threadfin specific patterns that was very productive here in the valley, but due to it's Mallard flank body side plates, it had some issues with durability.

Good Luck, Dave

Darian
02-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Nice looking flies Dave. :nod: I especially like the last one. In small size, it looks like it could be a good Alevin pattern.... :D

FISHEYE
02-02-2011, 02:10 PM
That last fry fly would be an excellent pick for big spring rainbows here in Alaska. Also try it with black on top.