PDA

View Full Version : Jenkinson Lake (mackinaw ?)

gene goss
01-30-2011, 11:35 AM
DFG have been planting Jenkinson the last couple of weeks, so i decided to get out of the fog, and check out the fishing. There is a gate across the road to chimmey area at the last boat ramp, so i went back down to the main boat ramp to fish the fish-bowl cove, after a hour of fishing with no grabs, and the water temp. at 42 degrees it was time to do something else....like lunch and a nap. haha....ran into a GBF member in the parking lot, and he said that he caught some mackinaws (19-22) inches while fishing for trout one day....so does anyone know anything about catching a mackinaw on a fly???
Here's what i know:
1. Mackinaw like water temp. less then 50 degrees
2. They like low light condition, dawn or dust, over head clouds, and wind.
3. They get close to the surface in mid winter.
4. Planted trout is the top food sourse in winter.
5. ???

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi Gene

Nick Buckmaster works a little for us at the shop and is a fisheries college student.

He catches Mackinaw or 'Lake Trout' (which are in the Char family) fly fishing from the shore the last few winters.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21903

I can get you his email address if you want some advise.

I guess they are in dozens of higher elevation, deeper lakes east of here. Lake Tahoe and Donner Lake have always been know for them but I hear they have planted them in other lakes now.

catch&release
01-30-2011, 12:49 PM
We always use to fish the Mac's at night. We would fish from 6pm until sometimes daylight. These big schools would move into the shallows up out of the deeps and we would cast to these fish in less than 3 feet of water. They would move up to eat the small stocker rainbows 10" to 14" fish and we would just throw 8 and 9 wt floating lines at them with big bunny leach patterns. Biggest I landed was 25lbs but at this lake anything under 25lbs was called a pup.

brings back alot of memories, 9 day trips into Utah late in October and November, very, very cold!

drumznfishes
01-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Hello,
This is my first post..I am stillwater trout fan from Jackson, WY. Salut!
I've caught quite a few macs on the fly in my pontoon boat over the last few years. The two closest lakes to town here, Jackson Lake, and Jenny Lake are mackinaw ( lake trout) lakes. They are not trout, as mentioned above, but are char. They like minnow patterns, my favorite being white zonkers. They don't fight very hard, at least not the ones here, but they are in most locals opinion by far the best tasting fish in the west. I agree.
I've seen huge ones here, but the ones I've caught have never topped 5lbs, most averaging a skinny 20-24 inches.

gene goss
01-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Hello,
This is my first post..I am stillwater trout fan from Jackson, WY. Salut!
I've caught quite a few macs on the fly in my pontoon boat over the last few years. The two closest lakes to town here, Jackson Lake, and Jenny Lake are mackinaw ( lake trout) lakes. They are not trout, as mentioned above, but are char. They like minnow patterns, my favorite being white zonkers. They don't fight very hard, at least not the ones here, but they are in most locals opinion by far the best tasting fish in the west. I agree.
I've seen huge ones here, but the ones I've caught have never topped 5lbs, most averaging a skinny 20-24 inches.

Welcome to the board....Do you remenber what the water temp. was, and what depth did you catch the macs at ?????? thanks for the info.

gene goss
01-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Hi Gene

Nick Buckmaster works a little for us at the shop and is a fisheries college student.

He catches Mackinaw or 'Lake Trout' (which are in the Char family) fly fishing from the shore the last few winters.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21903

I can get you his email address if you want some advise.

I guess they are in dozens of higher elevation, deeper lakes east of here. Lake Tahoe and Donner Lake have always been know for them but I hear they have planted them in other lakes now.

Hey Bill....if you could pm me Nick email address....i have a few questions i like to ask him. thanks Bill

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Will do Gene.....

I know that Nick will be happy to help you.

drumznfishes
02-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the board....Do you remenber what the water temp. was, and what depth did you catch the macs at ?????? thanks for the info.

I was fishing the receding ice, so the water was very cold. I don't recall the actual number. The fish were down about about 8-12 feet along drop offs during
the rather short bite. I fished different lines, but it didnt matter. 8-12 feet down. White and chartreuse zonker, bunny and clouser patterns.