PDA

View Full Version : Building a fly line?

coolrivertx
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I am going to attach a 700 grain sinking head to a Monic .038 GSP running line. Gonna use 130# hollow gel spun between the 2 pieces, with the Monic and head meeting in the middle. Couple of nail knots just for fun. What do you custom line builders like to coat your junctions with, Aquaseal, Shoe Goo? Thanks, Brett

David Lee
01-28-2011, 01:28 PM
GSP is pretty slick stuff .... make sure you test the line under max pressure before you fish it .

D.~

Darian
01-28-2011, 04:45 PM
My favorite adhesive for knots in lines is Plio-Bond. It dries quickly, is flexible afterwards and lasts quite a while before needing to re-do it. :nod:

You may've already done some research on this but I agree with David about using GSP to make connectors. Very slippery material. If I recall correctly, Max Garth (a regular on Blanton's BB) recommended Loctite 406 as his choice as an adhesive for GSP. My choice would be a braided leader connection. :D

coolrivertx
01-29-2011, 11:59 PM
I do have 50# Gudebrod braided butt leader. I thin k that ought to be enough "juice"! Might keep me from breaking the 15# Scott Heliply, which is a mighty sweet rod! thanks, guys.