PDA

View Full Version : Flyfishing for Carp

jerry from sac
01-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Gary Tomano passed this video to me and I think it's too good not to share.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IflkFD25nD4
-
- jerry

Jay Murakoshi
01-28-2011, 09:56 AM
I really liked the video. Carp fishing with a bamboo fly rod, what a kick. This is why I use a fiberglass rod most of the time. Just like bamboo, fiberglass has a real soft action and can flex at that special moment when the tip is at the 360 degree angle and the fish makes that sudden burst. I can't wait until the fog lifts and the weather starts warming up. There's water in the lakes and most shallows are flooded right now.
Looking into the future, there could be a fly fishing carp video in the making. Just gotta plan my schedule to visit a lot of different locations.
OK, if you have a body of water you think would fit into the video, let me know. Upon my return from Baja in June, I'll be on the road looking for some carp footage. But first things first, the Bass video hopefully will be wrapped up later this spring

I know there are a few out there wondering why the hell I would waste my time and film on tapping carp, I love it :-)

Jay

jbird
01-28-2011, 02:14 PM
A few comment on this video...

- Great sound track and composition!

- Seems like a really cool guy. Having lots of fun and Id like to fish wiith him.

- Interesting fish fighting techniques. Love the rod behind the neck move for landing fish. I dont know if he was submerging the reel cause its cool...or because its hot and he wants to cool off, or if his reel has no drag and the water resistance adds drag. Im guessing the latter?

- Dont know where he is, Im guessing Japan? Pretty impressed hes releasing the fish considering carp is a delicacy there.

- Those carp are rolling like steelhead and feeding like trout!

COOL! Thanks for posting.

Icastnblast
01-28-2011, 02:42 PM

- Seems like a really cool guy. Having lots of fun and Id like to fish wiith him.

- Interesting fish fighting techniques. Love the rod behind the neck move for landing fish. I dont know if he was submerging the reel cause its cool...or because its hot and he wants to cool off, or if his reel has no drag and the water resistance adds drag. Im guessing the latter?

- Dont know where he is, Im guessing Japan? Pretty impressed hes releasing the fish considering carp is a delicacy there.

My thoughts exactly.

I will be copying that rod behind the head maneuver this spring at Pyramid.

Jbird- Id love to see the video from wherever your avatar pic came from!!!

Jay Murakoshi
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Jbird, did you see the flex in the bamboo rod. I think any graphite would've snapped behind the next. It also looks like the reel doesn't have a drag so placing it in the water would add some resistance to the out running line. I'd love to fish that water and catch those big carp but I've seen some in the Forebay that big a maybe a few bigger ones.

Jay

catch&release
01-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Great video, I have seen it before and forgot about it. Its just as good this time as the last time I watched it.

Thanks

Bob Laskodi
01-28-2011, 08:21 PM
WOW, carp on a dry fly while cars are stuck in traffic. Doesn't get any better than that!

Darian
01-29-2011, 11:21 AM
What a fun video!!! :thumbsup: I Liked everything about it. Especially the scene where the rods are staged on the bank while the Carp swims back into the water. :nod: I wonder if the reel in the water thing was for photographic affect :?: Seems like a great way to show how Carp can make some strong runs.... :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Some of the best video footage on fly fishing I have ever seen....

Here is his web site:

http://www.carpfly.com/

Also one of the best fly fisherman too.

I think that guy is fly fishing every day?

Kind of a Japanese version of Andy Guibord?

Hairstacker
01-29-2011, 01:32 PM
That's is a great video, thanks for sharing it Jerry! Carp on topwater, how cool is that?

I would think fiberglass would be much preferable to bamboo, though . . . with all that high-sticking, I would think that's a good way to risk a permanent set.

As far as the reel in water, I suspect he was just trying to highlight the carp running hard and taking line.

Rod behind the head? Uh, I thought it was just showmanship. Not very practical, if you ask me, as I would think it limits your ability to immediately respond to changing circumstances, not to mention it shortens the lever and increases the stress on that part of the rod.

Darian, I really liked that last shot too, where the carp swims by those custom rods.

In any event, great video! Thoroughly enjoyed it. :cool:

Darian
01-29-2011, 11:19 PM
All this stuff about Carp reminds me that one of the best places for large carp is on the banks of the Sacramento River in Old Sacramento. Back when I was still workin', a bunch of guys and I would bring some stale bread to work and walk down to the piers where the Delta King was docked and feed dough balls to the Carp. Seemed like an endless number of Carp around 20 pounds with many larger. The water in that area is very deep and the current is always cookin'. But the Carp would come to the surface to pick up a dough ball dropped in. :nod: Gotta be some places around there that a guy could get into and fish.... :confused:

I'm not sure the city would approve of fishing down there (especially fly fishing). :-|

ssy
01-30-2011, 08:59 AM
there are tons of places in the back sloughs of the delta to find carp on top

caniretireyet?
01-30-2011, 03:57 PM
This is filmed in and he is from South Korea, not Japan. Oh, the time's I've wanted to abandon a traffic jam and cast to some carp!

Steve