PDA

View Full Version : yuba gold

thekid
01-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Fished the Yuba on wednesday around the 20 bridge with "EBAC." Things got real weird. We had fog. (again). I had some awful stomach virus. Thinking it was the night before mexican food. I was worthless. EBAC was on fire!!! Really reading the water with the Skwala dry! Could of been the variety of flavors in the jar for the day who knows? One after another. Mainly little guys, but when your dying on the bank in pain it was fun to watch. The day took a turn when a brown trout came up in about a foot of water and ate his skwala. Lying in a place you wouldnt even attempt to make a cast! The Yuba has been full of surprises this year!

thekid

Xnjb707X
01-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Wow, a brown on the Yuba.. that's a first. Grats!

jcsesica
01-28-2011, 02:58 PM
The last one I caught was upstream about 100 yards from the picture in 1999. It rose to a dry fly out in the middle. Surprised me, too!

As for the depth of the water, I have caught fish in less than 6" of water just below there when the fish were on a tear on the dries in early Summer-before the doldrums.

NICE FISH!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I know Brown Trout have not been very common on the Lower Yuba River....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-28-2011, 11:27 PM
I emailed two of the top drift boat fly fishing guides on the Lower Yuba River tonight.

Bill Lowe and Keith Kaneko have never seen a Brown trout caught on the Lower Yuba River.

I already knew they were pretty rare....

I think we talked about this some years ago on this BB?

tallguy
01-29-2011, 07:24 AM
I caught a nice brown about 20" about 3 weeks ago up near the narrows on the Lower Yuba. First one in 8 or so years of fishing there.

Wing Blue
01-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Nice catching! ... Is it possible for fish from Bullards Bar Res. to get into Englebright Res?

Troutstalker55B
01-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Yes Bacon! Wanted to hook up with you guys but I've been super busy plus I blew my back out last week, but I'm on the mend. EW and the big bug soon!

Jon.

Paul B.
01-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Must have been a great day. Thank you for posting.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2011, 11:00 AM
I have heard stories of a few Brown Trout caught on the Lower American River over the years, but no many. Extremely rare......

bclem81
01-29-2011, 11:35 AM
With the water flowing over the tops of both dams on the Yuba, in my eyes thats how they would get into the river. But I could be wrong.

The ones on the lower american came out of the settling ponds next to the hatchery. Last yr when they cleaned them out, they pulled out about 25 or so browns out of the 2 pounds up to about 10lbs and put them into the american. This was right around salmon steelhead time, and ofcourse people started catching browns. A good friend of mine landed a 22"er, then a few days later a 7lber was caught at the basin and found its way to the skillet. Bad idea on the skillet, nasty nasty.

Mark Kranhold
01-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Yes Bill, that is true. One of my freinds that guide the lower American got into a brown near Rossmoore about 3 years ago. I know the hatchery years ago used to raise browns in the race ways. Some probably filtered into the river.

Notch
01-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I've heard of browns coming into the Yuba via Deer Creek, especially when flows are up. Since it looks to be a hatchery fish, maybe it was a wash-out from Wildwood Reservoir?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Our old buddy Jackson Hide use to work at the Nimbus fish hatchery for years.

He told me once they had a big wild Brown trout in there that came up with the salmon that was over 10 pounds.

Ralph
01-30-2011, 09:34 AM
I've heard of browns coming into the Yuba via Deer Creek, especially when flows are up. Since it looks to be a hatchery fish, maybe it was a wash-out from Wildwood Reservoir?
Browns are routinely caught between Deer Creek and the dam. The Narrows seem to be a barrier, but I don't know why.

heyeugenio
02-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Last time out on the Yuba they were flopping all around me. I'd cast just above and drift them down and just about same location with no luck. Went on for several hours but instead of being frustrated I felt like I was in a game of cat and mouse. (Isn't it always like that though?)

At any rate, I went home skunked but felt totally satisfied with another great day fishing.

Beautiful shots and congrats on the productive day!