PDA

View Full Version : The new bisharat fly???

Icastnblast
01-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Has anybody seen or heard of this bisharat bubblelishous fly? I saw a post on the blanton forum a while back but never followed up on it. CB's flies are always inspiring and I'd love to see a pic if somebody has it.

Terry Thomas
01-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Check out the Jan/Feb issue of American Angler Magazine. There is a great article on Charlie and his new flies: "The Mad Scientist." Charlie came into the shop on Saturday and I had a chance to talk to him about some of the designs. He's always "thinking."
T.

Darian
01-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I had a chance to fish the pattern last May while on KD's boat. Interesting fly. It has a closed cell foam head and collar (similar to the Dahlberg Diver) and the balance of the fly is a combination of natural and synthetic materials. As I recall, the overall length of the fly was about 5"-6". Casts very easily as water is shed by the synthetic materials. The collar has five holes in it to allow water to pass thru and create a bubble trail when stripped to make it dive. Comes with a weed guard. :D

We cast/fished the fly back into heavy reedy areas and didn't snag. Had some strikes but nothing caught (I wasn't good on the hook set). One major point in it's favor is that it doesn't require drying like a deer hair bug does. I've attempted to craft a couple of these bugs and am continuing to hone my skills on it. I tie mine on a slightly larger hook than is described in the article (3/0-4/0). One of the problems to resolve is the proportion of the head in relation to the rest of the fly and overall. :confused:

All in all, a good pattern but I like the deer hair diver a bit better. :nod:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Charlie Bisharat is having a bunch of his special flies tied by Umpqua Feather merchants for 2011 season.

I am sure they will be available soon.

As Terry Thomas mentioned there is a big article in the Jan/Feb issue of American Angler Magazine about Charlie and his flies.

I think we still have some copies at the shop.