PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Lake Flies

Terry Thomas
01-23-2011, 11:42 AM
We now have a box with some popular Pyramid Lake flies. There are three color patterns of the foam beetle (tadpole) that is used in tandem with bugger flies.

loose_shoes
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
How do you rig up a bugger and a tadpole in tandem for Pyramid? Are the tadpoles and/or the buggers weighted?

Darian
01-24-2011, 04:09 PM
A basic tandem leader can be constructed by forming a loop near the center of the body of the leader. Then tie in a piece of tippet the the loop and tie the fly on. The choice of dropper/point flies is yours. Nothing fancy required for Pyramid Lake. Just make sure to use leader materials that are strong enough to land the fish in a relatively short period of time.

There're many ways to construct a multiple fly leader. Lots of reading material out there. Pick one, try it. You can always change to whatever meets your needs. :D

jbird
01-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Typicaly for stillwater stripping, you want your tandem set up as 'in line' as possible. This is best done by tying on your first fly, which should be a front weighted streamer such as a bugger. Tie a length of tippet to the bend of that hook and tie on your second fly. Those pyramid beatles are foam flies and theyre boyant. So you end up with a weighted bugger acting like a jig up front and a foam beatle swimming behind and slightly elevated.

Terry Thomas
01-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Jay,
Your description is the way I used to rig my flies as well. However, there are many Pyramid anglers that place the foam beetle on a 6" to 8" dropper about three feet before the weighted bugger. From my experiences, they both work.
T.

mark
01-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Typicaly for stillwater stripping, you want your tandem set up as 'in line' as possible. This is best done by tying on your first fly, which should be a front weighted streamer such as a bugger. Tie a length of tippet to the bend of that hook and tie on your second fly. Those pyramid beatles are foam flies and theyre boyant. So you end up with a weighted bugger acting like a jig up front and a foam beatle swimming behind and slightly elevated.

This = deadly

This is exactly how I run my setup. I will vary the length of the distance between point fly (bugger) and beetle dropper between 1 foot to 3 feet. Longer distance lets it float up even higher. Also I sometimes tie my beetles with 2 layers of foam for added buoyancy. Basically the bugger is going to dredge at or near the bottom and the beetle a foot or two higher.

loose_shoes
01-26-2011, 01:29 PM
This helps a lot!

OceanSunfish
01-26-2011, 06:33 PM
This = deadly

This is exactly how I run my setup. I will vary the length of the distance between point fly (bugger) and beetle dropper between 1 foot to 3 feet. Longer distance lets it float up even higher. Also I sometimes tie my beetles with 2 layers of foam for added buoyancy. Basically the bugger is going to dredge at or near the bottom and the beetle a foot or two higher.

Flyfishing's version of the Drop-Shot approach for BASS fishing..... So, in theory, you could use a casting rod/reel, cast a torpedo sinker or slinky with several foam beetles tied in ahead of the sinker (think longlining) and crawl it in...... :unibrow: Sounds like a great rig for young kids or the 'lawn chair' fisherman or come to think of it, me! :-k

jbird
01-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Flyfishing's version of the Drop-Shot approach for BASS fishing..... So, in theory, you could use a casting rod/reel, cast a torpedo sinker or slinky with several foam beetles tied in ahead of the sinker (think longlining) and crawl it in...... :unibrow: Sounds like a great rig for young kids or the 'lawn chair' fisherman or come to think of it, me! :-k

Or a weighted beetle under a bobber, bouncing along the ripple.