PDA

View Full Version : Record almond harvest this year

mikel
01-21-2011, 10:25 AM
from the attachment

"Almonds are now California's biggest export crop, surpassing milk, cheese and wheat. Among U.S. specialty export crops, almonds also top the list, ahead of wine and apples, according to U.S. Department of Commerce.

One reason for that is demand in developing nations. Almond exports to China rose from 16 million to 133 million pounds over the past five years, and experts said potentially valuable African and South American markets remain untapped."

http://www.ksbw.com/news/26572014/detail.html

David Lee
01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Good thing we have lots of water to grow them in the desert , eh ?

I love this planet ......

D.~

Bob Laskodi
01-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Well, at least almonds are a high value crop with a decent ROI. Unlike cotton which drinks up valuable water like crazy and needs subsidies when grown in the desert.

Mike O
01-21-2011, 12:21 PM
They must not need too much water. I had 4 trees in my yard. 2 were watered by the lawn sprinklers, the other 2 never watered. All 4 produced an equal amount. The unwatered ones were young trees, and the 2 watered ones were ANCIENT...one of them had to be at least 50 years old.

I miss those trees, as well as the figs, and walnuts.

huntindog
01-25-2011, 11:49 AM
all that water used so we can have a fricken nut in a candy bar....

mikel
01-27-2011, 04:44 PM
all that water used so we can have a fricken nut in a candy bar....

all that water so someone in China, India, BF Egypt, who likely hates America's guts can have a nut in a candy bar.

Woodman
01-27-2011, 09:19 PM
yeah, let's tear out all those trees and build more houses to use all that water...I like Elk Grove and Natomas now a lot better than when they had all that pesky open space.