PDA

View Full Version : Photo of Red Lake by Nancy Siegler

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
It is a new type of photography........HDR

Mr T
01-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Nice pic but I have to admit I don't know what HDR is. (hi def resolution?)

jbird
01-20-2011, 09:38 AM
"High Dynamic Range imaging (HDR) is a set of techniques that allow a greater dynamic range of luminance between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than current standard digital imaging techniques or photographic methods. This wide dynamic range allows HDR images to more accurately represent the range of intensity levels found in real scenes, ranging from direct sunlight to faint starlight"

The higher end dslr's have automatic HDR features. Also Known as "BRACKETING" With the camera on a tripod and in HDR mode, The camera will take several photos at diferent exposure levels in rapid succession. Those pictures are then combined in photoshop (layered) to create a near surreal look of the subject. It only works with a perfectly stationary subject since you are layering several of the same photos to create one image.

My friend Curtis is a Master of HDR! Check this out!

http://curtismix.smugmug.com/Nature/Main-Slide-Show/8558798_kta5Q#1021369584_iXX5z-XL-LB

This photo is where HDR is essential in getting and accurate representation of actual light. When you are inside a dark area shooting out to a brite area. Or visa versa

http://curtismix.smugmug.com/Nature/Main-Slide-Show/8558798_kta5Q#1021369250_tkQs5-XL-LB

Hope this isnt a hijack of your thread Bill. Thats a beautiful shot! Where is that?

Darian
01-20-2011, 10:22 AM
jbird,.... Thanks for the HDR explanation. When it comes to photography, I'm a point and shoot guy. Would like to be able to take advanced photo's tho. I'm workin' on it. :D

BTW, Red Lake is located aside Highway 88, just over the crest of the Sierra's, south of Tahoe. No natural inflow streams. It's basically a catch basin. DFG and Alpine County stock the lake heavily. :D

jbird
01-20-2011, 11:24 AM
It can be done manually with a simpler camera. It does require a tripod (or any means of preventing movement) Set your camera to manual mode and take a series of shots without moving the camera AT ALL. with each shot, adjust the shutterspeed, starting with an over exposed shot and stop up to an under exposed shot in a 4-5 shot sequence. A good way to try is a picture inside your house looking out the window on a bright day. The typical result is you have an overexposed area out the window with an underexposed area inside the house. But with this series of exposures you can combine a well lit indoors with a well lit outdoors. The trick after taking the pictures, is blending them in photoshop. Thats where I have a lot to learn.

Adobe elements has a feature called "exposure photomerge" That merges your HDR photos into a single image. It has an auto and manual option. If you choose the auto function, the program does it all for you. With the manual option you can customize it. Or you can take complete control by forgoing the photomerge program and jsut using Layers wchich really requires a keen eye.

It really helps to have a camera that can shoot in RAW to have total control over the color, exposure and sharpness.

Darian
01-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Hmmmm,.... Looks like I'm gonna have to break down and take a photoshop class. :D

RobK.
01-20-2011, 11:46 PM
beautiful lake !!

Taken many a trout in the beaver dams around red lake . Carson pass/hope valley was one of my favorite hang outs . My dad caught his last and largest fish off that dam while sitting in his wheel chair , he was dieing from ALS ( THAT SUCKED ) and Cody had to reel it in for him . So i get weird emotions ( happy and sad ) when see that lake now . Have you every climbed red lake peak from the dam to the top ? Very good climb . I did it twice in one day . i forgot my jacket and had to go back . I was 19 at the time though . I would get tired just looking up at it now .:)

Never learned HDR i still just use filters . Just Not a i high tech kinda guy . i don't even have photoshop . HDR is one of those things that if you don't do it right, its very obvious and stands out . IF or when i get a new computer with windows i may give it try . I have Linux and just can't get photoshop to load , so have not used it for years . I am looking at getting a new apple . :)

RobK.
01-20-2011, 11:56 PM
make sure it not windy when trying HDR !!! :) Very few of the photos i have taken , has it been calm . Most of them are on stormy cloudy days with trees or bushes in the foreground . A few photos i look with my 20 d up side down , so the built-in flash was on the bottom and worked as fill in , in the foreground . IT WORKED !! LOL

with this one , i used the flash for fill on the bulrushes in the foreground , they were in the shade .

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/Rkempton/photos/cutler.jpg

Darian
01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Very nice photo Rob. I love weather pic's..... :D :D