PDA

View Full Version : I really wanted to fish Pyramid today

Digger38
01-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Spent the night at my brother in laws last night so we could get up early this morning and fish Pyramid. Headed out at about 6:30am and it was cold really cold but we knew it was going to warm up when the sun came out. We got to the shop to purchase our day licenses just after 7 and we were told they were all sold out because of the busy holiday weekend. She told us that the only place to purchase the license was at the ranger station and they opened at 7. I'm guessing we were just not meant to fish today because when we got to the ranger station they were closed. We waited till after 8 with a bunch of others and they were still closed. Tried to call but no answer........... I guess from now on we will purchase online the night before or I should just consider purchasing a season license.

Jay
01-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Thats where I slip $9 under the door with my name written on it and fish anyway.

jayclarkflyfishing
01-19-2011, 06:59 AM
They run out of permits from time to time and the Indians live by another clock.Buy a seasonal permit or buy your permits ONLINE(http://www.plpt.nsn.us/index.html) and this will never happen.Throwing 9 bucks under the door will not help if you get checked by a ranger.

Jay

Dave E.
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Been fishing there for around thirty years and it never dawned on me that they might run out of permits or that we can get a permit on-line.

Good stuff guys, Dave

Typo's. Take it from me boy's. Dyslexia is a cruel mistress.

Jay
01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
They run out of permits from time to time and the Indians live by another clock.Buy a seasonal permit or buy your permits ONLINE(http://www.plpt.nsn.us/index.html) and this will never happen.Throwing 9 bucks under the door will not help if you get checked by a ranger.

Jay

Doing something like that has worked for me on several occasions at other places. Even when I was checked. I do agree, its not a foolproof system, but I will be damned if their lack of foresight and preparedness keeps me from fishing.

Woodman
01-19-2011, 03:23 PM
but I will be damned if their lack of foresight and preparedness keeps me from fishing.

Dangerous attitude to have when on an Indian reservation. Things don't work the same...

Jay
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Thats me, living on the edge, not filling out little slips of paper...

1flyfisher
01-19-2011, 05:19 PM
I have gone into various fly shops and sporting goods stores in CA over the years trying to buy a CA fishing license and they have been sold out. The last time was trying to buy my CA fishing license at Sportman's Warehouse in reno... they were out. I remember once trying to buy a license at Dollard's Market in portola and they were out. So the fact that a convenience store @ pyramid lake is out of licenses is not unusual and particular to the Pyramid Lake Reservation Tribe. So let's not erroneously try to imply that. Or something else along those lines. You can get a fishing license at the Crosby Lodge 24/7/365. You can get a license at the convenience store right next to the rangers station(they may be sold out as you encountered), you can get a license at Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, or Scheels in reno and online as was mentioned above. Just be aware that any store can be sold out of permits at any time. I have learned to buy my fishing licenses well in advance of leaving for a trip and arriving in the area to fish whether it is CA, MT, ID, AK, NJ, FLA etc or pyramid lake. The fact that you didn't have a license in advance, or didn't know that you could have purchased one online or at the crosby is who's fault?

As far as the Rangers and any authority on the Paiute reservation, they have always been very decent and extremely reasonable in their dealings with me and from what I have seen with others not so deserving. And that includes having to deal with an endless amount of a-holes that come up to the lake that think THEY OWN the place. I have never found them to go out of their way to cite individuals for various violations that guests to their lake routinely do. So as far as slipping money under the ranger station door(if they weren't open at 8am for some reason) I am not saying you will definitely not be cited but I would be extremely surprised if you were.

The ranger station office is not open at 7am. It is open at 8 am. It should say that on the door. Open being ONE young lady working in the office. If they were not you can inquire as to why, if you feel slighted. Perhaps she fell ill or some other reason as to why she was not able to be there and the office was not open.

1flyfisher
01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Also there are TWO ranger station offices. One located next to the convenience store by the marina the other a gray trailer located right off the highway as you come into sutcliffe on the way to the nets. One or the other if not both should be open by 8 am daily. So if ever on the rare occasion you happen to find one closed for whatever reason simply try going to the other.

Also
The fishing has been great, myself and friends and I have had several days of 30+ fish per person (16-28" mostly) recently during the nice weather, the biggest a 14.9 pounder. I managed an 11.4 on monday for my fourth fish over 10+ this season. Definitely worth fishing right now. We have some slightly colder weather coming but no fronts coming in, I expect the great fishing to continue.

BruceSmith
01-19-2011, 09:19 PM
As far as the Rangers and any authority on the Paiute reservation, they have always been very decent and extremely reasonable in their dealings with me and from what I have seen with others not so deserving. And that includes having to deal with an endless amount of a-holes that come up to the lake that think THEY OWN the place. I have never found them to go out of their way to cite individuals for various violations that guests to their lake routinely do. So as far as slipping money under the ranger station door(if they weren't open at 8am for some reason) I am not saying you will definitely not be cited but I would be extremely surprised if you were.

In total agreement.

Digger38
01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks 1flyfisher. I did not know about the second ranger station. I think now that I know that I can purchase online that's what I'm going to do. I have also had pretty good luck with fishing at Pyramid this season. I was really looking forward to going that day though because it was the day before the cold and wind was supposed to kick up. I am going to go next week for sure if weather permits I may even go twice next week.

1flyfisher
01-21-2011, 01:00 AM
wind can be good

I was really looking forward to going that day though because it was the day before the cold and wind was supposed to kick up.

Scott V
01-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Was thinking of heading up Saturday, is the bite happening right now and if so where can one go with a little car. I had the opportunity to go last month but I got real sick and blew a great chance to fish with a person of great knowledge and I hate to ask him again seeing as I called off the trip the day before. So any info would be great for a first timer, PM me if preferred.

Thanks

Digger38
01-21-2011, 01:12 PM
I have done pretty well the past few times I have gone. I usually fish for about 1/2 day and the last time I went out I had 4 fish and missed a bunch of others. You can take your car almost all the way down to the water at the Nets and Pellican. I usually hit Pellican first then switch spots if the bite dies down there. Last year I did ok at the Net's but that was later in the year.

jayclarkflyfishing
01-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Scott-
The weather is great but the bite has slowed way down.It is still an amazing place to fish!Might want to wait till spring.Feel free to let me know when your coming up and I am free I'll hook up with you.As far as cars go,the Nets are car friendly.Look out for soft sand!

Jay

1flyfisher
01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
There are plenty of catchable fish in the lake you just have to go where they are at the moment. You just have to track them down. If you have a suitable power boat to get you around the lake and know where and how, then you can catch a lot of fish. We have been consistently getting 30+ fish days when we get into them and they aren't too deep. A slow day has been a dozen or so a piece. The bait balls and fish are concentrated right now in a few select areas. There aren't many fish in shallow right now within reach of shore fishing, I popped into the crosby the other day to see some of the local folks I know and I asked how they were doing on the west shore (pelican/nets) and they said not so good. That doesn't surprise me.
Personally I wouldn't be wasting my time fishing the nets/pelican at the moment and I am not, there's much better water right now than there where the herd of sheeple go. I'll start fish those spots in a couple weeks.

Launching my kayak I have been getting anywhere from 0-20+ fish days dredging deeper water (not that I am after or care about numbers, I don't, I am after big fish and fish in a manner that affords me a better chance at a big fish instead of numbers). SO if you have a float tube or pontoon or kayak or small boat you can get to where some fish are and do well enough but it has been much more hit or miss than when we run the big boat.
If you don't have a boat or pontoon you can still get lucky on any day and catch a 10+ pounder(from shore) so if you aren't needing numbers you might snag a hog if you make the effort to fish.
Good Luck

Was thinking of heading up Saturday, is the bite happening right now and if so where can one go with a little car. I had the opportunity to go last month but I got real sick and blew a great chance to fish with a person of great knowledge and I hate to ask him again seeing as I called off the trip the day before. So any info would be great for a first timer, PM me if preferred.

Thanks

Fochetti
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Terribles gas station accross from the 7-11 is open 24 hours. It is on the Pyramid Highway on the way out there.