PDA

View Full Version : Good Delta story -

David Lee
01-18-2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.alternet.org/water/149495/california_can't_have_it_all%3A_there's_not_enough _water_to_support_farmers,_cities_and_the_environm ent?page=entire

D.~

DFrink
01-18-2011, 02:27 PM
David,

I thought this was an excellent article, very informative of what is happening with our water supply in this state. I think the key problem is demand (i.e. population). Everyone should take time to read this, even if you don't fish or care about fish.

Dan

huntindog
01-19-2011, 07:14 AM
This is a pretty good article giving a broad look at the dilemma at hand. It is worth noting that the picture on the front page illustrates one of the bigger problems...farmers continue to use outdated, inefficient means to irrigate. Using broadcast sprinklers in a desert is a horrendous waste of water.

One thing that can not be overstated is that Peltier, Raley and MacDonald are absolute crooks. These three made critical water decisions which benefited Westlands water district,(don’t believe a word Jason says about not participating) while working for the Dept of the Interior then immediately got very high paying sweetheart contracts at Westlands. They are criminals and should be prosecuted as such for using their govt jobs to make millions for a private organization (and themselves).

One critical issue the article failed to mention is how Westlands makes its millions (or billions)..it is not from farming at all...it is from taking subsidized water and selling it for huge profits. The subsidy program was set up to help farmers farm...not so corporations can take vacation in the Mediterranean. California needs to establish that if the farmers that purchase the water are not putting it in the ground then they get charged the full market value of the water.