PDA

View Full Version : American

FlyReelFisher
01-17-2011, 09:30 PM
I hear the American has quite a few fish around. I guess you can see quite a few people fishing when you drive around? Nice to save gas money!

FlyReelFisher
01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
So some of my friends did real well in the upper river. Got 3/4 fish a piece, swinging flies. I take it the silence confirms their tales....???

luckydog
01-18-2011, 02:08 PM
I fished yesterday (Monday) at El Manto and Rossmoor, wanted to avoid the upriver crowds. No grabs for me. Got lowholed by a couple of bait guys, they didn't catch anything either. Not a total waste of time however, plenty of river left casting practice with my new switch rod.

FlyReelFisher
01-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Scott, Jeff C, Bill, Guppy, Steelies26c3??

Rich Leonetti
01-19-2011, 09:55 AM
They're not responding cuz they're out fishing

Jgoding
01-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Jeff's probably snow boarding.... Haven't made it out yet because I don't do the up river thing and something about fishing to fish on redds etc... just never sat well with me. I'd rather leave them alone up there and hang out down low swinging through the big runs etc.. Sure it's not as productive but it's never fun for me when it's not a challenge.

Garrett S
01-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Scott, Jeff C, Bill, Guppy, Steelies26c3??

Havent fished it at all this year. I will probably head out this weekend, Ill tell you guys what I see.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
I got my license but that's it so far.......

I think that there are some nice fish in the river now.

February has always been a good month too for big fish.

The flow is perfect.........2,500 cfs.

We all need to get out there now.

WinterrunRon
01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
I've been out 8 times this year 2-3 hours at a time and I'm still looking for my first tug! Back at it tomorrow for a couple of hours in the morning. If you've hooked one (or more), consider yourself fortunate. I don't believe there are all that many in the river, but then again, it's not bass fishing; they're supposed to be difficult to find, hook and land. But my experience this season, including 35 hours on the Trinity, is the fish of a thousand casts is quickly become the fish of two thousand! :confused:

Water has dropped and really cleared to 4 feet visibility. Too clear already for my liking, but if it's been your excuse for not getting out, you'll have to come up with a new one! :-k

Mark Kranhold
01-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Gup where u been, the spot should be perfect this weekend. I fished it last friday at 3400 cfs the speed was just a little to fast but still looked :fish::fish::fish: tho. I wonder if Jeff has fished it the last few days? Good luck out there.

STEELIES/26c3
01-20-2011, 11:36 PM
I usually get my first salty adult in November but this year... I didn't even buy my license and report card until January 7th.

I've heard lots of 'grandiose reports' but most of them are not supported by numbers of fish actually caught...

But what do I know? I'm only one guy in one place at a time...

During any given year... If you take away; sight fishing, lining, fly or gear fishing directly in or on spawning areas... then the counts diminish exponentially.

Out of 7 trips this year, I've hooked 5 fish and landed 1

http://treeofknowledge.org/markebay/1steeljan113
http://treeofknowledge.org/markebay/1steeljan11

It does seem to me that in the last 48 hours... many new fish have entered the system and likely, the drop to under 2700 CFS has the fish already in the system... acting more like steelhead (jumping, splashing, blasting, eating) all of which are increasingly difficult for a fish to do with increased river flow.

Best advice is:

Forget there is an internet and GO FISH~;)-X- ><;)));>

OceanSunfish
01-21-2011, 12:05 AM
I love that Jed Davis spoon!

I know this is a FF Board, but I'd like to know the specs of the gear you're using to effectually fish the BC Steel on the American.

I know Herzog has a line of rods for that spoon....

While we're talking the "dark side", anybody try bobber fishing with their switch rods this season.... 10'-6" or 11' switch has got to be pretty good 'bobber rod' too. Centerpin or spinning or even flipping the rod over with casting reel?

For me, at least, variety in fishing adds to my fun.

With regards to "internet fishing"..... I'm older and my hands are sadly arthritic..... translation: it's too damn cold out there for me! I'm waiting for that cottonwood to fly!

Thanks.

cyama
01-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Nice fish! Can't really tell from the photo, but it appears the hook is very close to that poor fishes eye. Not a big deal since it is a hatchery though... Not hating just my observations.O:)

STEELIES/26c3
01-21-2011, 01:50 AM
That fish became dinner and bait for more steelhead...

and the single hook was so far buried in the center of her tongue she needed my pliers to remove it~;)

M

Jed Peters
01-21-2011, 08:48 AM
This one was caught on the A last week on a bobber/egg/worm setup.

No shame in my game.

BillB
01-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Pretty fish Mark.

flyguy1
01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Nice fish Mark. I see the spoon came through again. It was nice meeting you last week, and maybe I will see you on the river again

Scott

Jgoding
01-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Bill,

I want to get out, but I'm still rolling up my license......

OceanSunfish
01-21-2011, 06:21 PM
This one was caught on the A last week on a bobber/egg/worm setup.

No shame in my game.

Nice!

"Steelhead Stalker" ?? Just curious.

BillB
01-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Thinking about rolling my license up on a small Chinese scroll. Thought about a toilet paper roll but a bulge the size of a small wood duck would look absurd! Also thought about fixing a five pound weight to the end of mine and using it for a tube anchor. Wonder how the new paper holds up in water?

STEELIES/26c3
01-21-2011, 11:33 PM
egg imitations might be good now

or actual eggs~;)

http://treeofknowledge.org/markebay/arsteelbday20111
http://treeofknowledge.org/markebay/arsteelbday20112