PDA

View Full Version : Kiene's Annual Fly Fishing Expo for 2011

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Our annual Expo at our fly shop in Sacramento will be on April 23, 2011, Saturday.

It will run from 9am till 5pm with hot dogs and sodas at noon.

We will have many of the fly fishing industry's representatives there with lots of their new products for 2011.

Most of the local fly fishing clubs will be there to meet and greet you and talk about all the wonderful programs they have to help take care of the fisheries as well as teach new comers how to cast, fish and tie flies.

Some guides and travel people will be putting on Power Point presentations of some great fishing destinations.

There will be a casting area for the contests and to try out new rods.

We will have some of the best Nor Cal fly tiers there too. You can sit across from them and see how they tie all those wonderful patterns.

We have a casting contest for men, women and children with great prizes donated by the industry manufacturers.

We also have a big raffle with great prizes also donated buy the manufacturers.

Be sure to put this date on your calendar.

It is a really great tradition for most of us....

Jay Murakoshi
01-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Bill,

It's already on my calendar. I wouldn't miss this event.

Thanks

Jay M

Lincoln Gray
01-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Got it on mine also. Look forward to it every year!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
http://www.kiene.com/expo/

Our annual Expo is only the weekend after next, april 23, 2011 on Saturday.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Less than a week away.....

Next Saturday, April 23, 2011.

It is always fun to see old friends..........

Lance Gray
04-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Bill,

Always a great time at the fair. Never miss it!

Lance Gray
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Bryce Tedford
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Beulah Fly Rods is excited to attend and be a part of the upcoming 2011 Kienes Fly fishing Expo coming up on April 23rd from 9:00am-5:00pm!!!!

Hope to see alot of fun attendees, always a great time!!!!!

Jed Peters
04-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Yo, Bill:

Will there be a Sage TCX switch rod in 6wt to demo/try out?

Thx.

Jed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Most than likely our Sage rep will have them, but we can probably meet you at the river in the future with one.

Jed Peters
04-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Most than likely our Sage rep will have them, but we can probably meet you at the river in the future with one.

Thanks Bill; this will be my next purchase, along with a sage bass rod. I'm going to be testing out a number of the bass rods saturday (keith is bringing a quiver of them for me to test/try out); wanted to try casting this TCX as well (if available) with the proper lines/combo.

I'll talk more to Kaneko about this purchase/set up as the time comes.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-23-2011, 05:33 AM
It's today, Saturday April 23, 2011 from 9am till 5pm @ Kiene's Fly Shop.

Corner of fulton and Marconi Avenues accross from Trade Joe's in the old Town & couyntery Village Shopping Ceeter.

Lots of message board people will be there.

We will have name tags.....

Ed Wahl
04-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks for another steller Expo Bill. Weather was great, and the company was excellent. So many friends to talk to and not enough time to get 'em all in.
Always a treat to be able to sit down and yak with Ken Hanley, what a range of knowledge. You've got to be careful when picking Ken's brain, you may just get an avalanche.
I passed on the casting contest as I could see I was out classed by a long shot, although it looked like the wind was the major factor, it kept starting and stopping several times while someone was casting.

Hatch, sorry about the drool on your boat buddy, I couldn't stop myself. And if you'r missing a bottle of beer from you cooler, um, it was Phil. He took it.

The name tags were a good idea, thanks for making me put in on David, I had several people spot it and say hi.

I've kind of backed off of my anti kayak stance after seeing Ricky's yaks today. These really do look like serious fishing crafts. Another eye opener.

I'd been looking forward to this for awhile and it did not let me down.

Well done Bill and crew.

And thanks.

Ed

Bob Scheidt
04-24-2011, 08:47 AM
What a great day. Didn't realize how many people I have come to know at the expo and that actually think I'm OK too.

Lots of interest in the fly tying room. I welcomed an 8 year old to the brotherhood after his first flytying kit was now part of his arsenal.
I was surprised how many people were asking about shad flies. They were planning on gettin after the shad in a serious way.

Thanks for everything, Terry and Jim looked great and they have inspired me to try and drop a few pounds. This is gonna be tough!

The day was just what I needed. Thanks for all the effort!!

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Actually everyone who comes makes it happen.

Normally something like this will slow down after 5 to 10 years but we broke another $$$ record.

Last year was our biggest Expo as far as sales go and again this year was even bigger.

Yesterday our sales were 10 times an average day for the shop which will really help us.

Thanks to all the company reps, fly tiers, fly clubs, casting demos, PowerPoint shows, fishing guides and volunteers who all help make our annual day a wonderful event.

I have been in this retail fishing tackle business in Sacramento now for over 40 years so I saw a lot of people I know yesterday. It was cool......

BSing is my favorite thing to do.

k.hanley
04-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Grrrreat day! Man I love this event. "Serious fun!"

Thank you Bill & Marilyn for once again giving me such an awesome platform "to do my thing." I'm honored to have your support.

Kiene Staff.........Two thumbs up. (Bill, Jim, Terry, and all) You guys are simply the best. Nuff said.

Attendees......... Much respect for your support and good vibes. You are one dedicated group of fly flingers! (Ed you are plain whacko and that suits me just fine amigo.)

Reps/Guides/Tyers......... I don't get much opportunity to spend time with you, but certainly appreciate your energy and efforts to keep us all fishing.

Hey how about we do it all over agin next year? OK it's already on my calendar.
Cheers, Ken

Jay Murakoshi
04-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Damn, sounds like I missed a good event, no great event. I hated to miss it but I had family things come up which needed more attention. I always enjoy seeing and talking to people in the fly fishing community. I'll be this next year, if god is willing and the waters don't rise to high.
I'm on my way to baja this week for my extended 10 week run. Sounds like there's still some Yellow tails in the area with roosters and dorado are starting to make the show.
I'll be posting reports and sending video's shot with my new Canon G12 and the GoPro Hero.

I have a few spots left in my Oct 1- 8 trip. If you're interested dropped me an email

Happy Easter

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-24-2011, 05:49 PM
We had a great turnout............and good weather too.

Scott V
04-24-2011, 08:57 PM
After I left the show at 10:00 and headed to Reno we hit snow flurry on the highway near Truckee, the real light fluffy stuff that doesn't stick. I am glad to hear that weather didn't get you. Hopefully next year I will be able to stay longer.

Darian
04-26-2011, 11:18 AM
This thing just keeps getting better.... Spent some time at the fly tying tables and the requisite amount of $$$$ to make sure Bill/Marilyn have a good retirement. As always, seeing old friends and BS'ing was the highlight for me. Altho, the raspberry ribbon ice cream was outstanding.... :D

The enjoyed my time with the tyer's. Ken finally showed me what to do with "Bird Fur" and it wasn't at all what I expected.... :lol: Charlie Bisharat continues to amaze me with his igenuity. Some of the ideas/materials he's working on would easily solve some of the mystery of tying an action packed Lamprey imitation. Look out Stripers. :nod: Saw David Lee tying a hot looking Crawdad for a youngsters benefit and Mike Henle packin' some hair. Didn't get a chance to spend much time with mike, tho. Mike's a great conversationalist and ties a mean deer hair frog. :nod: Hope Mike'll forgive me for missing our usual conversation.... :-|

I'm beginning to see some benefits in the use of a Yak. I'm gonna look into it a bit more before buying, tho. :confused:

Again, great expo. Always look forward to 'em. :nod:

tacocat
04-28-2011, 08:35 PM
I would have loved to have gone, but our local FF club was having their banquet that night, and we live 4 hours away.

Jay's lying.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
All I did was try to get around to everyone I recognized to say "Howdy...."

Thanks to everyone who showed up.....

Jay Murakoshi
04-28-2011, 09:33 PM
What? Hey Taco, I don't think you really know about my family problems and it's really none of your business and yes I was at the dinner but I left for La Paz the day after.
Watch who the ****** you"re calling a lair.

If you want I'll meet up with you when I get back home. OK !!!!!

Jay

tacocat
04-29-2011, 01:02 AM
Sorry Jay,

I had no freakin' idea. It was a sarcastic joke, and I should have included a smiley face. I was more thinking that we both would have faced a long haul to get back to the dinner. We would have had to have left at 5:00 AM, and bailed from Bill's at noon in order to make it back in time for the banquet, which I'm sure was a pretty important event for you too. I know you're a travelling dude, but that would have been BRUTAL, and quite a bit of travelling for a 3 hour visit. I'm sure you've done worse, but that still would have been tough.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay at La Paz. We can meet when you get home, and I can apologize to you in person.